Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I should clarify. Everybody is buckled in, however if they need to get up to use the restroom, swap seats, and such you have that ability in a MH.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishermark View Post
Thank you all for your input. I know it is a personal decision but it helps to have other opinions. My "driver" does not always see through the same glasses as me. We also only have a 3/4 Ton Super Duty Diesel 4x4 which will limit us. We are new to this forum but I can already see the advantage.
We have just switched from a travel trailer to a 5th. Your truck could pull ours...37ft..3 slides. We have never owned a MH but did look at them (along with toy haulers and bunk houses).
A friend had a 5th that had bunks & when closed up had no bathroom access. That was one think we checked when buying.
But it all seems to come down to personal preference doesn't it?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
We too just switched from a diesel pusher back to a 5th. We can travel in winter as we can afford winter tires for TV. The MH is definitely better for going down the road, but I am now better going down the road as I don't have to worry about some RV system that was married to some Freightliner truck system, and what is going to fall apart this time. If the TV has a problem I can wheel into an automotive dealer anywhere and get service or repairs. We certainly have more room with the 5th. Setup is nearly a wash with hydraulic manual leveling on the 5th. Just be sure to buy a quality 5th from a manufacturer who cares enough to build their own frames- if you can't afford new, find a quality one slightly used. Also look at some of the older units from whatever brand you are looking at-that will be an indication of what you might expect over time.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #32

Looks like we may have found the 5er. It is a 2011 Carriage/Cameo 36FWS. We put a deposit and will pick it up after the holidays.:-) Now, I need advice on a pin box. It has a regular pin box but I understand we may need to get a mor/ryde or trail-air pin box. Does anyone know anything about the Goosebox by Reese?
fishermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #33

Do NOT make it a gooseneck, and especially with the weight of that trailer.
You don't "need" an upgraded pin box, it may just make a nicer ride.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Do NOT make it a gooseneck, and especially with the weight of that trailer.
You don't "need" an upgraded pin box, it may just make a nicer ride.
Just curious -- why not? We have friends that switched to a gooseneck and they love it because they can swap between fifth wheel and truck camper easily, and they claim it feels the same driving...
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #35

Try it 1st with the regular pin box. Not every 5th wheel needs an upgrade.
Also before you switch to a GN, check with Carriage/Cameo to see if they allow using a GN with their frame. Not all frames whether Lippert or 'in house' are built to handle a GN.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy View Post
Just curious -- why not? We have friends that switched to a gooseneck and they love it because they can swap between fifth wheel and truck camper easily, and they claim it feels the same driving...
I've pulled both, it's NOT the same.
Also, I've fixed trailers that had the frame and body broken loose from the other because of GN adapters. That is too heavy a trailer, and you add too much torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Try it 1st with the regular pin box. Not every 5th wheel needs an upgrade.
Also before you switch to a GN, check with Carriage/Cameo to see if they allow using a GN with their frame. Not all frames whether Lippert or 'in house' are built to handle a GN.

They are out of business, so just don't do it.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #37

You guys need to think about this move. Hope the 3/4 ton truck can handle a 36' Carriage Cameo. If not driving will not be pleasant and the passanger will not like the ride either.

I have a new dually truck with lots and lots of power and the trailer has mor-ryde trailer suspension plus a mor-ryde pin box. My rig goes down the road nice and smooth with no 'chucking'. We are very happy when traveling.

Your Camelot MH is an up scale rig. The Cameo is the bottom of the defunct Carriage company units. Couple this with just a 3/4 ton truck I am thinking you guys will not like it.

Keep $$$ available for an improved pin box.

Do not try any type of gooseneck adaptors as they really should not be used for a conventional 5th wheel.

I have a friend with a horse trailer. On that trailer you can see the strength is in the design on his gooseneck trailer. 5th wheel trailers are not designed to use a gooseneck.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You guys need to think about this move. Hope the 3/4 ton truck can handle a 36' Carriage Cameo. If not driving will not be pleasant and the passanger will not like the ride either.

I have a new dually truck with lots and lots of power and the trailer has mor-ryde trailer suspension plus a mor-ryde pin box. My rig goes down the road nice and smooth with no 'chucking'. We are very happy when traveling.

Your Camelot MH is an up scale rig. The Cameo is the bottom of the defunct Carriage company units. Couple this with just a 3/4 ton truck I am thinking you guys will not like it.

Keep $$$ available for an improved pin box.

Do not try any type of gooseneck adaptors as they really should not be used for a conventional 5th wheel.

I have a friend with a horse trailer. On that trailer you can see the strength is in the design on his gooseneck trailer. 5th wheel trailers are not designed to use a gooseneck.

Good luck.
I agree as a 3/4T truck would be an accident looking for a place to happen pulling that big of a rig. Absolute minimum might be a 1T dually, but a 450 chassis would be ideal.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #39

if you are moving from a class A to a 5fer you are not going to be happy

more room in A
do not have the 1hr setup / pull down to move it
now you have to hook the truck up to move
and the A can be sold for alot more money down the road
and alot more i would think some more on it befor making the move

there are alot of posts on ppl making the move like this and in a year moving back to the A

and the posts i see say the same thing over cost but there is just as much to fix in a 5fer
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #40

Not all As have more room, but they can.
A fifth wheel doesn't take an hour to set up/down.
Hooking up doesn't take a long time either. I can do it in 5 mins.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #41

To clarify - I do not believe you will like driving nor riding in a little 3/4 ton truck towing a 36' 5th wheel as heavy as the Carriage Cameo. At least not w/o an improved pin box. It will not be as good as your MH.

I also pointed out that the Cameo is a step down from a Carriage Lite. That the Camelot MH was up-scale.

I will add that I can set up my 5th wheel faster than a class A with a toad. Also a 5th wheel is much more comfortable to live on than a MH.

As far as expense I will agree that the 'house' componants are the same. But maintaining a truck has to be easier and less expensive than maintaining a MH.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #42

First a 3/4 ton is the same truck as any one ton.
The gross combined weight is possibly the same.
And the larger single rear wheel tires will soften the ride.
And the ride pulling our 39 ft 5th wheel with a solid hitch system has been great for the past 16 years, pulling with 3/4 ton GM And Ford. The Ford has a softer ride so additional spring plies may be required. The F350 SRW is no better but taller.

Tags
5th wheel