Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Maximum Water Pressure for 5th Wheel

Does anyone know the maximum water pressure for a 2021 Grand Design Reflection 29RS? I cannot find any definitive information in the Owner's Manual or on the Grand Design website. Showers need higher water pressure than below 50 psi.
Thanks for your help.
edcisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2021, 05:07 PM   #2

We use 50 psi. In our shower we put in oxygenating shower head. Works like a charm. More than enough pressure.
Slapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #3

Oxygenics. No matter what your pressure is. But to answer your question, it's designed for standares household pressure. 40-60 psi. No higher.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:02 PM   #4

Are you using a adjustable reg or a preset one?i found out of three preset at 50 where only allowing only 30 # so i use adjustable set to 56 and use a oxgenated showerhead. Your system will handle household pressure but the cheap fixtures many not.i ran my system for a year around 70 with no problems.i find with it set 56 i get little longer hot shower.
GMONEY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:30 PM   #5

As posted, your rv can support pressure above 50 psi easily, but your issue may be flow, not pressure. Your current regulator, if it is a simple in-line non-adjustable type, probably restricts flow to help accomplish the pressure reduction.

Try using a full flow, adjustable regulator, with a gauge, and set between 50-60 psi, static.

BTW, we all assumed you are using city water. Check the flow and psi specs on your pump and try the shower with that. If it is good, that’s the pressure to set your regulator.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:49 AM   #6
IC2

60 psig has been my guideline for RV water pressure. I also use at least a 5/8" inside diameter hose to ensure flow. A fixed water pressure regulator and any whole system filter will reduce the pressure somewhat. With that said, most RVs have 1/2" PEX plumbing. The 5/8" hose is to make sure that I have the volume as well as pressure to at least the water inlet bibb.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
most RVs have 1/2" PEX plumbing
Which is rated for a lot more than 60psi, as are all appliances and faucets. I believe very few if any, modern RV's will be damaged by high(er) pressure. I don't use a regulator unless I open the CG faucet and pressure appears very high. I have a $10 pressure gauge to check it. Only once did I find pressure above 100.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
Which is rated for a lot more than 60psi, as are all appliances and faucets. I believe very few if any, modern RV's will be damaged by high(er) pressure. I don't use a regulator unless I open the CG faucet and pressure appears very high. I have a $10 pressure gauge to check it. Only once did I find pressure above 100.

PEX tubing is very strong and noting I worry about in our RV. It has seen in excess of 100 psig when the pressure regulator in a CG failed to some way too high value and my pressure regulator just didn't do its job at that pressure. It's gone to metals heaven since.... What should worry others as well as myself are the fittings and compression rings and how these joints were made up along with the fitting quality. RV manufacturers aren't noted for using top shelf materials
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #9

Quote:
PEX tubing is very strong and noting I worry about in our RV. It has seen in excess of 100 psig when the pressure regulator in a CG failed to some way too high value and my pressure regulator just didn't do its job at that pressure. It's gone to metals heaven since.... What should worry others as well as myself are the fittings and compression rings and how these joints were made up along with the fitting quality. RV manufacturers aren't noted for using top shelf materials
Exactly (bold)^^!
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
What should worry others as well as myself are the fittings and compression rings and how these joints were made up along with the fitting quality. RV manufacturers aren't noted for using top shelf materials
If they use the PEX bits and crimp rings properly (yeah I know) it's all good for high pressure. (I am not recommending putting high pressure on your system.)

BTW the leading cause of death of pressure regulators is freezing. Hard to get all the water out.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
Old 11-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #11

PEX/Crimps All good for High Pressure

IT's those screw on fittings at the sinks, toilets, water heater, city water inlet that are weak links

60# and 4 gpm flow would be ideal

We use on-board pump ONLY
55# discharge and 3.5 GPM
All is good

PEX Temp/Pressure Ratings
200°F at 80 psi
180°F at 100 psi
74°F at 160 psi

Water Heaters can reach 180*F (high Temp T-stat setting), 190*F Pilot Gas Control ECO Probe setting OR 210*F T&P Relief Valve Setting

Water heaters can reach 125 psi at 140*F
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
The standard RV hose end water pressure regulators decrease water pressure and flow.

Upgrade to a higher grade, adjustable water pressure regulator. You'll have better flow and adjustable pressure. I run mine just under 60psi.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
True. Pex pipe itself is rated up around 400 psi or so, but as in any system, it's only as good as the weakest part, which is the joints. If crimp joints are made by someone who knows what they are doing, no problem, and I would be comfortable with anything up to 80psi. Since I don't know who did it, and I have an idea that some people who put our RVs together really don't know what they are doing, I stick to less than 60psi static.

People think that if the water pressure is high, all they have to do is close the valve a bit to cut down the pressure. All they do is reduce the pressure for the time that the tap is on because the valve will only let so much volume through. Static is static, though. In other words, when the tap is closed, there is no flow, and the pressure goes back up to whatever the line pressure is in the mains. So in fact, the high pressure exists in the RV system for maybe 99% of the time when the taps are off.

In my years of installing municipal systems in new subdivisions or local improvement projects, I know that in a pressure zone with more than 80 psi, it is recommended that the house owner install a pressure reducing valve on the property side of the service box at the property line.

Pretty sure that RVs manufacturers recommend max pressure of 60psi, but don't know for sure. My manual says 60psi.
JEDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 05:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEDDIE View Post
People think that if the water pressure is high, all they have to do is close the valve a bit to cut down the pressure. All they do is reduce the pressure for the time that the tap is on because the valve will only let so much volume through. Static is static, though. In other words, when the tap is closed, there is no flow, and the pressure goes back up to whatever the line pressure is in the mains. So in fact, the high pressure exists in the RV system for maybe 99% of the time when the taps are off.
Yep. Same people that think the AC will run on battery.

Tags
5th wheel, water, water pressure