Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #1

mice

I have mice in my ceiling, how do you get them out?
cbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

I think you're at the point of needing professional help. You can fumigate but the risk of a dead mouse remaining behind is not one I would be interested in taking. Another choice is to get a cat and leave it in there a couple of days with water and just a little food. The mice come out to eat when no one is around and cats can be VERY quiet.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Here's a product used at the feed stores to keep mice out of their product - Works really well - might be worth a try
Fresh Cab All Natural Rodent Repellent, Control Mice Fast, Safe | EarthKind.com
chaperon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 AM   #4

This is an every year occurrence for us. It is next to impossible to keep them out. Just set a trap or two using peanut butter as the bait. They come to it very quickly. I put them down low in a bin where I know they get in and then go up the back cap of the fifth wheel. This way, you know they don't die up inside.
HandyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #5

We had the same problem and used the sticky traps...worked like a charm but didn't solve the entry problem and we seemed to have an endless supply of the critters. I kept searching for, finding, and sealing up the entrances....They seemed to head out in the daytime but were sure busy at night. It took about 2 weeks as there are many access points that the mice can find faster than can . Finally found their last but favourite hole up in where the running light wires ran up the corner of the driver's side propane cabinet. I used clear quick set shower silicone caulking and medium steel wool. The upside was that the trailer was MUCH easier to heat this winter and far less drafty. The silcone seals and the steelw wool deters and my theory (unproven) was that the steel wool would eventally oxidize and fall apart unless it was sealed from the humidity.
Ian
Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaperon View Post
Here's a product used at the feed stores to keep mice out of their product - Works really well - might be worth a try
Thanks Chaperon! I looked this up and it looks excellent. I was going to order online, then did a search for a local retailer (available on their website) and found it is sold everywhere around here. I am going to pick some up this week and hopefully never get mice in my new rv!

Thanks,
Lynn
Dave and Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #7

We feed our mice poison. They love it.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #8

C barns .... the mice leave when the weather gets warm unless you provide them with an endless supply of food. We had them in the ceiling to ( they were just catching a ride south and left at one of our stops). Now I keep poison blocks in the outside compartments all year long.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #9

Over 18 years of RVing and stainless steel wool definitely works well in keeping mice out of openings. We live on the ocean coast with lots of salt in the air and I have not experienced oxidizing of the steel wool yet . . .

If you do have dead and smelling mouse issue and can find an automotive or RV detailer who has an ozoneator then avail yourself of their services. I saw a demo of one where an average sized pork chop was left in a sealed up class room with an ozoneator running for 24 hours and at the end of the time there was only a small piece of bone left, everything else had dissapeared. They are illegal in some parts of the country as they are rumored to cause cancer but only if overused. Our school used to use them fot many years to rid the classroos of abandoned food that was hard to find. Worked very well.
jwlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #10

In this day and age of liberalism evictions are very hard to accomplish.

The first thing to do is to go over the exterior with a fine tooth comb and seal up every avenue of ingress no matter how small. Then evict the rodents any way possible.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaperon View Post
Thanks
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
You folks ever try moth balls on the ground under your RV? Best to prevent them from entering rather than evicting them.

I would think a trap would be necessary to keep them from dying in the celing area and creating another problem.

Dave
Old 05-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Dryer sheets worked for us in our boat. Mice got in one winter while it was in storage and were nice enough to chew some holes in the brand new that year cockpit cover ($900). Since then every year we buy the cheap store brand dryer sheets and spread a few around. Been OK so far. Knock on wood because we have not take the shrink wrap off yet this year.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We tried dryer sheets in all compartments,drawers,cabinets,under the dashboard,and still found mouse droppings this spring.
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote