Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #1

Micro Minnie 5th wheel??

Has anyone seen/been in one of the new micro Minnie 5th wheels? Ultra light weight and they are claiming they can be towed by even the smaller mid size trucks (e.g 2019 ford ranger, Colorado) which seems like a stretch given the stated capacities of those trucks. I know they frequently claim that you can tow trailers beyond truck’s capacity but was wondering what these new 5th wheels are like. From what I can seen they are, at a minimum, not as tall which could be a problem as we are tall. They are also only 7ft wide so you likely lose the interior roominess of a 5th wheel. Just wondering if anyone has been inside one and what they thought?
Thanks
Lori
Lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 10:45 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, at 7700 pounds gross weight they would be over any midsize trucks capacity and pushing most full size 1500/F150 trucks. The loaded pin weight will be 1500 pounds but could be as high as 1800 and then you have to add the weight of the hitch itself and anything else the truck will carry like people, pets etc.

Then you need to look at the capacities of the tanks. Only 31 gallons of fresh water, a 6 gallon water heater, tiny black tank. My TT weighs the same and has 80 gallons fresh, 40 each of black and gray, 10 gallon water heater, double the propane and is built sturdier with no pressboard, only marine grade plywood with aluminum framing.

They have removed all the features that make 5th wheels attractive to make them towable by a 1500 series truck. Large tanks, massive storage capacity, roomy interiors with lots of headroom. Unless you want a 3/4 ton or heavier truck no 5th wheel makes sense. My trailer weighs the same but has a tongue weight that is 600 pounds lighter. You must look at what the truck can CARRY, not what it can PULL.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #3

Don't want to be an alarmist, but, would like to point out a couple of things. My trailer has an engineered frame and torsion axles similar to the Micro Mini. My frame is very stiff and has presented zero problems. Torsion axles have the advantage of serving as a structural frame member. They are more money than hung axles so you should find out why they specified them (it could be to reduce overall height). If they also serve as frame members then it may be difficult to lift the trailer if needed to fit a larger truck (been there). Torsion axles have no equalization so the trailer may have more of a tendency to chuck. I'm sure, being a new product, Winnebago has checked all that stuff out but it is something to be cognizant of. I like their colors and appearance.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I did not notice the difference in axles. Will definitely have to consider the tank capacities as well. I figured they would have to jettison some of the 5th wheel “goodies” as well.
Just to clarify....I am not looking to tow this with a mid size pick up although the new ranger is rated at 7600 tow and 1860 payload so conceivably possible for a light packer! Also wanted to note that with a HDPP 3.5l ecoboost f-150 (11000 tow, about 2600lb payload), the micro Minnie 5th wheel would be well within specs even with additional weight/stuff. I just wanted to know if anyone had actually seen one and what they thought. Has anyone been inside one?
Thanks,
Lori
Old 11-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #5

Micro mini 5th wheel trailer ?? I didn't know 5th wheel trailers came under that banner.

I pulled a then new 1984 24' 7600 gvwr 5th wheel trailer for 8 years with a '82 half ton chevy rated about like todays Colorado. Actual weight was 6340 lbs when loaded.

Check out these from https://www.allencampermfg.com/Up-to-27--5th-Wheel.html. Some fit well within small size trucks Ranger/Colorado numbers.

Having never seen a micro mini 5th wheel trailer I can't say how I would feel. However in the '60/'70s we had three truck campers .....8'.....9.5'.....and a 10.5' so I know what small is.
I have been inside a couple of the smaller 5k gvwr 5th wheels from Allen in the clicky. I felt like they were small like my old truck campers.
My advise is to check one out yourself this winter at a rv show or a dealer if they have one....then you decide.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:14 PM   #6

Sorry I wasn’t more clear that I was referring to the Winnebago Micro Minnie’s that Winnebago recently announced for 2019. I believe they have had micro Minnie travel trailers for longer.
Interesting to hear your experience towing with smaller truck. I will follow up on your link!
Thanks
Lori
Old 11-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #7

Found this video showing the product:
https://winnebagoind.com/products/fi...innie/overview
TexasProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Many folks have standard 1/2 tons and are upsidedown on the payments. Marketing recognizes this and has been calling some 5vers 1/2 ton towable now for a couple years. In point of fact, many of these 1/2 ton towables are really not. Winnebago made a move to fill a niche that really no one has filled to date. The main issue with these trailers is the 7' width; many don't care about dry camping so tank size may not be at the top of the list of needed items. The price comes in at about $34K so they will be competitive from a price stand point. To my mind, they don't add a lot to a travel trailer of the same size as far as features but some folks want a 5ver but can't or won't go to a more capable tow vehicle. Have a look at this product:
https://winnebagoind.com/products/fi...innie/overview
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel