Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #1

Mildew smell in Air conditioner

When our A/C kicks in, we get a mildew-like smell during the first few minutes of operation. Where in the system would the mildew be? Ducts? The unit itself? Anybody ever experience this, and what steps did you take to remedy the situation?
artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #2

yep
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #3

Try cleaning your coils.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #4

First check any filters.. Then try to clean the coils using a spray bottle and a little bit of liquid plummer, and flush with plenty of water. Be careful to monitor the drain to ensure it doesn't clog from any resulting debris and be sure that you have good ventilation.
rv_playpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #5

Liquid Plummer ?
Thought that was for drains. Not AC coils
Old 07-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Lowe's sells a spray can of coil cleaner.
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 AM   #7

I use the spray can of coil cleaner too. Rinsing it away with a water hose can get messy and get water inside the coach. I used a garden sprayer filled with tap water(high pressure, low volume) to rinse the coils after the cleaner had loosened the dirt and muck in the fins. Be gentle working around the coils, the fins bend very easily; bent fins equal reduced cooling capacity/efficiency. This worked fine for me, hope it does for others too.
Clean the drain pans, insure drain holes are all open, wipe solid surfaces with a vinegar-wetted rag- it cleans the surface, kills mold/mildew.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

Liquid Plummer

I've used this simply because I found it was more effective than the coil cleaner I've bought in the past.. It did a good job without any need for scrubbing (first time I tried to clean coils I used a plastic scrub brush and did quite a bit of damage- had an AC guy come to repair my "repair" and he used the liquid plummr).

The main advice I would give is to just be careful.. I actually use two hand spray bottles- the liq plummr in one set on a mist, and clean water in the other set on spray. I'll normally go through 4 or 5 of the bottles of water.

I've never tried to use a hose from the sink. Perhaps I'll try that next time.

Currently, I do this once a year before the summer starts when I'm prepping the 5th wheel. I've got it for sale, so hopefully I'll not have to do it again! We've been staying in park models this year since we are barely camping any longer, and while it appears to be more expensive- I think the overall budget is probably comparable since we are only doing 3 or 4 weeks now.

Am I the only guy (other than the original AC guy I spoke of) who uses liquid plummer for this?
rv_playpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
When it starts up. Spray some "Febreze" into the intake air.

After a couple times doing that. Problem will be solved.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell