Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

Military Generator INSIDE prepped Generator Area

Has anyone mounted a non-rv type generator inside a fifth wheel that is prepped for a generator or already has a genset?

Right now I have a onan marquis gold 5500 with 20 hours on the unit and i'm looking to switch it out for a diesel, problem is, i'm not going to pay $10,000 for a new onan quiet diesel when there are plenty of other gensets out there that will provide the same level of performance and silence for less than 20% of that cost.

So my question is, has anyone done this?

Any advice?

I want a diesel because the propane genset sucks down fuel and it's not exactly easy to lug 40# propane tanks around when I could very easily tap and pump from a reserve tank in the bed of my truck.

Using red diesel that is road-tax free on a more efficient generator just seems like a win-win to switch to diesel.

That and i'd like to have the freedom to park where I want for however long I want with all the a/c I want without having to hunt for propane.

Diesel generators from my understanding sip fuel in comparison to gas or propane.
WorkRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

Thinking about using diesel fuel means a built-in fuel tank. It's getting quite difficult to find stations that sell off-road diesel today, as most users have a bulk tank at home for off-road diesel, and pay the sales tax at the end of the year. A military genset is noisy and not designed for use in a confined space. I seem to remember they were 24V.

With more investigation you may find this project is doable though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Ray

I'm thinking after a little more research that this is the way to go:

GDS Technologies Announcing our Backup Portable Renewable Energy Generator

It runs off water and there's already a fresh water storage tank on board.

I've sent them a pre-order for 2 units.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Does "perpetual motion machine" ring a bell?
I'll have to see it in person to believe it.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Runs on snake oil?
Old 11-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
Runs on snake oil?
nooooo...it runs on water!
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #7

"That and i'd like to have the freedom to park where I want for however long I want with all the a/c I want without having to hunt for propane."
Did you miss the 4 continuous hours per day max?
Old 11-17-2015, 02:27 PM   #8

I have started a new thread for this topic here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/gener...nk-270624.html

If anyone is interested in joining the conversation there's some interesting points I cover on the subject in my initial post.

Snake Oil?

I'm not saying until I get my hands on one, people often fear what they don't understand though.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc99 View Post
"That and i'd like to have the freedom to park where I want for however long I want with all the a/c I want without having to hunt for propane."

Did you miss the 4 continuous hours per day max?

"4 continuous hours per day max" of what? Running the AC? Running the genny?
Old 11-17-2015, 03:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Does "perpetual motion machine" ring a bell?
I'll have to see it in person to believe it.
Perpetual motion machines don't use fuel. Hydrogen is an explosive fuel, well, technically it implodes, oxygen is explosive though! Water contains both.

Just because they are inert together doesn't mean that water isn't full of potential energy.

You are confused on your science.

To loosely quote a quote of a quote said by einstein, one of the greatest theoretical physicists at a dinner party while staring at a pitcher of water, "there is enough energy in that pitcher of water to carry a thousand car train around the world many times over, the problem we face is in extracting that energy."

This was before the invention of the microchip or silicone wafer or the fiber optics carrying this message to the irv2 server and you receiving a notification a new reply has quoted your reply in a topic instantaneously to your email to be picked up by your smartphone as a new email notification that is alerted to you by a small vibrating motor or a tiny speaker emitting an audible tone across a wire hooked to a motherboard powered by a lithium ion battery charged by a microinverter plugged into your wall converting 110v down to 5v to utilize that power when disconnected that is sending and receiving via a transmitter tuned to radio frequency that is sending thousands of signals per second through the walls of your house or rv.

Sounds pretty far fetched to someone who doesn't understand how cell phones or the internet work, and would be equally as unrealistic to a disconnected civilization that isn't exposed to technology as a machine that converts water to power to you.

To place a limit on what is possible through your narrow scope of the world by labeling a technology you don't understand as 'perpetual motion' and instantly discrediting it's possibility is your mind dealing with something it doesn't understand by immediately discrediting it.

I'm not saying it is or isn't, I'm just saying don't close your mind to what is possible.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
"4 continuous hours per day max" of what? Running the AC? Running the genny?
That is for warranty coverage, I wouldn't care about warranty service with all the fuel i'd be saving i'll pay for parts.

Might as well disconnect my power too or do a grid tie and get paid for excess power generation 24/7/365.

I'm not holding my breath though, i've seen many companies with similar claims come and go behind closed doors under uncertain terms.

I remain hopeful though.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #12

Interesting, the pic of their "Production Facility" looks like an abandoned, out of business commercial building that someone pasted a sign over another sign. . . . no cars, no workers, must not be to busy, huh?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:12 PM   #13

People are so negative. Where are the positive, hopeful people that dream of better things for this world.

You guys are so nitpicky.

If this is what i'd have to look forward to at an irv2 rally, count me out.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Before I went with a military diesel, I'd want to hear it run. My experience with military stuff is that it isn't very quiet. There are places that sell used Onan diesels, about half price of new. If it were in your shoes, I would look at changing out the carb on the genny you have to run regular gas. My other opting would be to run a couple of parallel Honda's or Yamaha's.

As far as red diesel, any truck stop has it and you can also find it at farm stations that cater to farm equipment.

Tags
generator