Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2017, 01:33 PM   #15

Another thing to consider that has been mentioned here, is insurance while full timing. Seems like I read that some companies will not insure the rv unless it is listed as a full time unit... No expert here by any means, but you might check on that....
And Thankyou for your Service.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #16

A W/D is a must as cloth diapers with the baby and the wife has insisted that! Thank you all for the advice, we will continue to research and definitely check out the used market. I guess when I had seen that companies were out of business, we were out of luck, but as long as I can get parts/repairs done, we will look into it!
8rices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #17

I have a Cedar Creek which does not have a bunkhouse floor plan but Blue Ridge has a awesome bunkhouse. It has a half a bath. If I would somehow get our little granddaughter I would trade my Creek for one. If you decide to purchase a fifth wheel then by all means install a TPMS that you trust, I have TST 507. I have installed a Trav'ler satellite antenna on our Creek plus disc brakes just last week.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #18

A lot of the suggestions keep saying certain companies, then they dont have the rear bunkhouse we really like, but gotta give a little! A TPMS is absolutely something we'll want to look into as well! Thanks!
Old 04-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #19

Look at Forest River website, Blue Ridge 3720BH. It has a rear bunkhouse and a separate bathroom, just toilet and sink. It has a master bedroom up front plus a full bathroom. Plus if you should decide to get one don't forget the second year warranty for $250 bucks. You can order one with a washer/dryer. Just google Blue Ridge RV.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #20

Can you find the same floor plan in a Montana? They are a step up from Montana High Country.

Montana in IMHO is a better unit than Open Road. Open Range is much lighter. For full time you want a more solid unit than an Open Range.

You want minimum 7,000 lb. axels with 'G' rated tires. Also minimum is a thick 12" I-beam frame.

The best rigs will have 8,000 lb. axles with disc brakes, 12" I-Beam frame with a 2" boxed metal re-enforcement welded to the I-Beam.

Add flush mounted dual pane windows, good insulation, fancy pin box and you have yourself a very nice rig.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #21

Something else to go along with the TPMS would be a good EMS. WE have a built in Progressive Industries. Once you have one of these you have protected your electronics. It will shut down the power in high and low voltage situations plus if anything is wrong with the power (reverse polarity, bad ground etc) it will not even let it come into the rig.

One you have one of these you will find places that your power will go on and off but this is the unit protecting you. Other people will be around you and they will say we don't have any problems. Well someday they will when the electronics quit (microwave, frig, tv, etc) and they will not be able to explain it or just whine about the poor quality of things today. Bad power has a cumulate effect and does damage over time until things fail. This is especially bad thing if you are full timing and not just using the rig for camping.
And remember to have fun.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
Something else to go along with the TPMS would be a good EMS. WE have a built in Progressive Industries. Once you have one of these you have protected your electronics. It will shut down the power in high and low voltage situations plus if anything is wrong with the power (reverse polarity, bad ground etc) it will not even let it come into the rig.

One you have one of these you will find places that your power will go on and off but this is the unit protecting you. Other people will be around you and they will say we don't have any problems. Well someday they will when the electronics quit (microwave, frig, tv, etc) and they will not be able to explain it or just whine about the poor quality of things today. Bad power has a cumulate effect and does damage over time until things fail. This is especially bad thing if you are full timing and not just using the rig for camping.

Brad
Are these options aftermarket or can you get them installed at the dealer? We've been doing a lot of research, and y'all keep bringing up a lot of great points and advice, thank you!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Can you find the same floor plan in a Montana? They are a step up from Montana High Country.

Montana in IMHO is a better unit than Open Road. Open Range is much lighter. For full time you want a more solid unit than an Open Range.

You want minimum 7,000 lb. axels with 'G' rated tires. Also minimum is a thick 12" I-beam frame.

The best rigs will have 8,000 lb. axles with disc brakes, 12" I-Beam frame with a 2" boxed metal re-enforcement welded to the I-Beam.

Add flush mounted dual pane windows, good insulation, fancy pin box and you have yourself a very nice rig.
Unfortunately the Montana doesn't have the bunkhouse we would like. However, we will keep looking! Thanks!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post

Brad

I have a portable 50 amp Progressive Industries. You find them on the web. TPMS is great to have, lets you know how much air is in your tires
Old 04-11-2017, 05:34 AM   #25

Why not live on base or government leased housing? Your wife and children will have support from other families during your deployments. Worked for my family for 20 years.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmoeturhead View Post
Why not live on base or government leased housing? Your wife and children will have support from other families during your deployments. Worked for my family for 20 years.
We've been doing that for the last 7 years and just want to try something new. We're kind of sick of moving so much stuff that we just don't need every few years. And housing on base is so expensive that we'd like the freedom to own our own. Thank you for your service!
Old 04-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #27

There is a apps for military campgrounds, well more than one
Old 04-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8rices View Post
We've been doing that for the last 7 years and just want to try something new. We're kind of sick of moving so much stuff that we just don't need every few years. And housing on base is so expensive that we'd like the freedom to own our own. Thank you for your service!
I didn't realize housing came out of pocket. It's been since 97 since I retired. Good ole days I reckon. Good times.
It was my pleasure to serve. Thanks for your service as well.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, full time, military