Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acguy1999 View Post
So when buying tires, do I want tires that exceed GVWR or GAWR?
As stated, the truck carries the pin weight, which is significant. So, as long as the tire capacity matches or exceeds the GAWR, you should be fine. I switched from Towmax ST tires to LTs, and that was 5 yrs ago. Very happy with the change.

One more point about your blow outs, the initial front blow out may have weakened the rear tire, leading to early failure. Years ago I had a front tire fail, quickly replaced it on the side of the road and drove another 100 miles to the CG. Next day discovered damage to the rear tire and had to replace it before hitting the road again.

Good luck with your decision.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 07:46 AM   #16

I agree that you don't need the 17.5" tires on your rig. Not heavy enough. I have had no trouble with Goodyear. On my previous rig and few years ago I blew out 5 Carlyle tires. Unless it was an emergency I would not put them on a wheel barrow. And no they were not over loaded on my 25 foot FW rated for a 1/2 ton truck.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
I agree 100% with JIMNLIN, and IMO, I would lean more toward using LT tires, I've never had one fail on any trailer I've owned, and as mentioned the higher air pressure ratings and use IMO will not heat up as with a saggy side wall lower pressure rated tire will.

Davidrvr, may I ask, did you notice any abnormal tire wear before the failure?

DTW
Yes.. inside of one tire like it was toe-in and the other tire did the toe-out. but usually they blew before it was noticeable.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post

Maxxis is a bit behind in their speed rating and with over 30 complaints on one rv website...
Can you provide a link so I can see what the complaints? My new trailer came with Maxxis...

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #19

Quote:
So, just a short story that many of you are familiar with...

So I've have a 36ft Sundance 5er and this weekend we blew our second tire in the past 4 months. So far, both blow outs occurred on the left side. Our first blow out was the front left, this one was the rear left.

After the first blow out I purchased TPMS for the 5er, but unfortunately that didn't provide any warning as the tire just parted.

I've got the "Blow" Max ST235/85 R16E tires. I know...i know...thats my first problem which is why I'm researching new tires.

So now I'm reading and learning about tires. MAXIS seems to be highly recommended by many, followed by upgrading to 17.5 wheel with a J rated tire. Right now the upgrade just isnt an option...(one more blow out my just force my hand, but right now thats not on the table). I've been thinking of an F rated tire but the more I read the more confusing it gets.

My trailer number look like this:

Trailer dry weight: 10,500 lbs
MAX cargo load: 2,950 lbs
GVWR: 13,450 lbs
GAWR: 6,000 lbs (x2) = 12,000 lbs

E rated tire: 3,042 (x4) = 12,168 lbs

Thanks for being able to shine some light on this for me...

So when buying tires, do I want tires that exceed GVWR or GAWR?

Thanks in advance!
I’m the guy with answers as to what is supposed to be done. Many will disagree with me but it’s still what’s supposed to be done. I’m not a brand or design pusher.

The original Equipment tires on any RV trailer are fitted to the trailer’s GAWR values depicted on the trailer’s certification label located somewhere on the forward LH external section of the trailer.

Your owner’s manual is probably going to tell you to use replacement tires of the same size as the OE tires. Or, to use optional sizes recommended as options for the OE tires. Going from a ST235/85R16 LRE to a ST235/85R16 LRF is considered the same size with a little more load capacity.

Tire industry standards are very consistent in only recommending replacement tires with equal or higher load capacity compared to the OE tires.

LT tires are not suitable replacements for ST tires unless the vehicle manufacturer has used them as OEM on your trailer. LT tires with RST (Regional Service Trailer) molded into their sidewalls are suitable replacements for ST tires because they are also designed for that service. Any low platform trailer tires are suitable, they start in the 17.5” diameter wheel size.

The bottom line is, you can do it your way or trust the dealer who makes a living selling tires and may bend the truth.

If your trailer is registered in a State or Provence that has vehicle inspections for RV trailers you will have to pretty much follow what I’ve said above.

Tire industry standards for replacement tires are stated in different ways by different tire manufacturers. Cooper is very straight forward with plain English.

Remember, the regulations for ST tires LT tires are from the same numbered regulation.

Cooper Tire & Rubber Company - Load Capacity
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
As stated, the truck carries the pin weight, which is significant. So, as long as the tire capacity matches or exceeds the GAWR, you should be fine. I switched from Towmax ST tires to LTs, and that was 5 yrs ago. Very happy with the change.

One more point about your blow outs, the initial front blow out may have weakened the rear tire, leading to early failure. Years ago I had a front tire fail, quickly replaced it on the side of the road and drove another 100 miles to the CG. Next day discovered damage to the rear tire and had to replace it before hitting the road again.

Good luck with your decision.
Dayle1,
The point about the blow out weaning the other tire is something I didn't think about. Thanks for pointing that out. That's something I'll keep in the back of my mind when it happens again.
Acguy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #21

I've decided to go with the Goodyear Endurance ST tire. I picked up 4 today and I'll get them mounted and balanced while the 5er is getting working on. Thanks to everyone here sharing their stories and lessons learned. Sharing these experiences makes us all better. I'll be traveling from NC to NH at the end of May. I'll report back upon my return.

Thanks again.
Acguy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #22

I have Mich XP RIBS on mine 20,000 miles no problem. 14,000 loaded.16 inch wheels.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #23

double posted...Jim
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Can you provide a link so I can see what the complaints? My new trailer came with Maxxis...
No ....that would require 30 different clicky links to each thread.
I doubt the mod or adm or the OP wants that much web space taken up with tire Maxxis complaints on this thread.
However I can PM (paste and copy from notepad) them to you if you.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
No ....that would require 30 different clicky links to each thread.
I doubt the mod or adm or the OP wants that much web space taken up with tire Maxxis complaints on this thread.
However I can PM (paste and copy from notepad) them to you if you.
No need for all that work, a link to one of the complaints will be fine if you don't mind. Since you mentioned the complaints were all on one website I can go from there with a search.

Thanks!

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No need for all that work, a link to one of the complaints will be fine if you don't mind. Since you mentioned the complaints were all on one website I can go from there with a search.

Thanks!
As I said above I don't have links but their all pasted and copied to notepad.

I'll PM one to you.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #27

I would not be to hard on the TPMS for not catching your last failure if it was catastrophic. It only will catch a leak in time for you to pull over. I lost one once (actually twice) that did not sound the alarm. The first was a blowout. I was looking in the mirror and saw the tire blow, Then I heard the boom and then the alarm went off. Just the way it works and is good most of the time. The second time the whole wheel left out the back of the rig (bearing failure). Alarm sounded when the tire was out of range of the receiver but the air was still in the tire when I retrieved it.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #28
paz

Quote:
...this weekend we blew our second tire in the past 4 months. So far, both blow outs occurred on the left side. Our first blow out was the front left, this one was the rear left...
Note that the left side of many 5th wheels is considerably heavier than the right. The reason for that is most fivers not only have more slides on the left (off-door) side, but the kitchen with all the appliances and most of the cabinets used for the storage of food, dishes, pots and pans is usually on the left.

Our 5th wheel is almost 900 lbs. heavier on the left side than the right. Tire pressure on both sides of each axle should be the same, and they should be set high enough to carry the weight on the heavier side.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote