Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2021, 06:26 AM   #1

Modifying 5th wheel rear hitch to carry more weight

All looking to buy our 5th wheel later this year (likely a solitude 345 or 346) and we have a 2018 cam am spider and wanted to bring that along. Do not want to double tow so wanted to see if anyone has had similar situation and what solution they came up with.

My thought is if the hitch was beefed up and attached to the frame could I then put a hydraulic lift on it for the bike. Bike weighs around 1000lbs or so depending on amount of fuel.

Thoughts is this possible? Would this mess with the pin weight and weight balancing on 5 th wheel? I would get the 8k axles
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 06:43 AM   #2

If it were me, I’d be more inclined to go with something like this: https://www.trailerlife.com/towing/a...of-toy-hauler/
Old 04-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #3

It's definitely young to affect pin weight and trailer axle, spring and tire limits. I would not do it myself.

RoadrunnerII
Old 04-06-2021, 06:50 AM   #4

Sounds like you are buying new, ask GD 574-825-9679 (Customer Service) what they think about 1000 lbs of weight hanging on the back of their frame. Pretty sure they will tell you no and if you do it will void all warranty, then tell you to buy a momentum m class toy hauler designed to carry that weight in the garage.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #5

Tks bookemdanno and others will look at other options

Not interested in toy hauler as takes away too much living space

Like the freedom trailer and will explore that option

Has anyone done something similar and can share results....tks
Old 04-06-2021, 09:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
No, I've not done it...

But,

We towed an RTS for several years.

You'll need to take into account that the CG of the Spyder is roughly where the driver's foot pegs are - or about the middle of the driver's seat if yours has footboards.

So, not only will you be adding 1000lbs to the 5er frame, but you'll be adding it at the end of a 4-ish foot lever. That's a whopping lot of torque applied to the RV frame.

Then, you need to account for the weight of the platform that will hold a 1/2 ton bike and the additional bending moment that will apply to everything.

And lastly, you'll need a ramp. To get our RTS up on a deck approximately 12" off the ground took a 6 foot ramp, and the frunk still scraped a bit. I'd assume any platform you might build will be quite a bit higher, so the ramp will need to be proportionally longer and heavier.

I can't see it working, but there may be a way. If not, we towed ours on an Aluma UT10. It was a nice small trailer, towed well, and wasn't too bad to load although the aluminum tube ramp could be a problem if it was wet.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyf View Post

Not interested in toy hauler as takes away too much living space
You may look at some toy haulers where the garage is under the bed and you don’t lose any living area. Also check out Sundowner Toyhaulers out of Oklahoma. We have a 40 ft open unit (garage is not separated) and when we unload the motorcycle or razor, we move our chairs back there and have lots of room.
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #8

Tks all for you feedback. Will let u know what we decide
Old 04-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #9

I would NOT do it via the hitch on back of Trailer

I WOULD consider a Hydraulic RV Lift....mounts to Frame
Contact Hydralift and inquire
https://hydralift-usa.com/06-contact-us/
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:49 AM   #10

billy
Check out the freedom hauler mentioned in trailer life mag. You can see it in action at Watts on wheels youtube channel. I hope you have enough truck to pull all that weight.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:59 AM   #11

Cruiserlift also makes the swivel wheel trailer in one or two wheel versions.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel

Tags
5th wheel, hitch, rear, weight