Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #1

Montana 5th wheel: Black tank valve

The rig is in the dealership for warranty work. One issue is the black tank valve handle not closing completely when when pushed in, but it did previously. We see our tank chemical trickling out the discharge. Dealer says it's normal for the handle to stop 1/8" from "all the way" in. I told him it can't be normal since fluids still leak out. When arriving at next campsite and opening the screw cap on the coach's discharge chute, the backed up fluids come rushing out. Anyone else experience this?
Thx
JeffD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not normal for the fluids to seep past the valve. Either something is trapped in the valve, or the seals are bad. The dealer should remove the valve and replace it with new seals.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #3

With a new unit, there should not be any leakage from the tanks. As time goes on and wear sets in, there might be some. What I did was to purchase a valve from CW that snaps on where the cap goes. The cap is then placed on the snap on valve opening. This way, there isn't any surprises when going the cap for draining of the tanks. If it is in the shop, I would tell them to change the valve.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My Montana HC 343RL leaked just a bit like that from new. I did the same as Swamp Man and just added a stop value outside - so no surprises and I like the extra control it gives.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #5

Thanks for writing

Thanks to TXiceman, Swampman & n5pht for taking the time to write with your insights! Much appreciated.....
JeffD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5pht View Post
My Montana HC 343RL leaked just a bit like that from new. I did the same as Swamp Man and just added a stop value outside - so no surprises and I like the extra control it gives.
X2-no surprises!
Valterra T58 Twist-On Waste Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #7

I have a 2008 Montana 3400rl and have never had the black tank leak with the valve closed. The handle goes all the way in to the stop.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just saw you post on the black water valve. I have a new Montana with the same problem. Besides the valve leaking, I looked at the valve arrangement with the belly cover removed and found that pipe actually goes up hill before entering the exit pipe so the tank can never empty properly. Have your dealer look at this.
jrchep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #9

After 10 years, my 5er sealed like new. Never had to replace the seals or valves.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #10

I'd guess toilet paper got jammed into the seal, preventing a full seal/valve closing. Fill the tank with water and dump it a few times, until the valve seals again. I've carried a Valtera twist-on valve for years, used it 3-4 times when that happened to me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tank