Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 11:13 AM   #1

Montana Black Tank Flush

I have an 06 Montana & I was wondering how the black tank flush works. Does water just come from one outlet or several? It states that black tank valve should be open while doing this. Wouldn't it be beneficial to let 20-30 gallons build up in there & then open the valve so all sides get rinsed as well? One would hope that their would be many outlets spraying down from the top of the tank but I am willing to bet there is only one outlet spraying.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 05:19 PM   #2

Yes it would be beneficial to allow a few gallons to build up in the tank , to get a good flow out when the valve is opened .

BUT ! do not ever allow yourself to get distracted while doing this , don't assume all sources of the flush water have the same flow rate , 2 mins max have your watch on and keep track . You don't want to imagine the number of places flush water from the black tank can get to if the tank overfills.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:08 AM   #3

Yes that would be an impossible mess to clean up!
Old 07-27-2021, 03:17 PM   #4

Different types on different units. Some have spinners some have holes in sprayer head pointing in different directions. Most if not all are a single head poked through the tank wall.Click image for larger version

Name:	SmartSelect_20210727-171521_Chrome.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	337480
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My previous tank was 40 gallons and had one sprayer, a spinner. My current tank is 50 gallons and has two. Same manufacturer of both trailers. It works very well. Do not get distracted or the toilet will overflow and the pressure of the water filling the vent stack will split the tank. Have seen it firsthand. Just a few gallons and then open the valve works just as well as filling the tank.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:06 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Make sure you do NOT forget it or get distracted, it will be horrible.
Here is a story that happened in Katy, Texas in May 2020:
a couple pulls in with a 5th wheel: hooks up water, turns it on and they left the park. Well they hooked up to the flush not the city water hookup. Later somebody in the campground turned the water off, after it had already overflowed. When the couple got back they were upset that the water was off and had no water. After hooking water up the correct way, they went into the camper. Campground maintenance told them they had to clean up and they refused, so the campground made them pack up and leave. They said we have somebody coming out tomorrow to clean it. Maintenance was out there power washing the site, the road, for a couple of hours. The couple did NOT even clean their rig before leaving, they drove past us with the stuff falling off the roof on the road out the gate.
Maintenance went by with a shovel and a sprayer cleaning and sanitizing with bleach on the roads.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #7

Like the others have said DON'T GET DISTRACTED. I have never seen one run over BUT my tank broke and that makes a mess also but it is outside.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Make sure you do NOT forget it or get distracted, it will be horrible.
Here is a story that happened in Katy, Texas in May 2020:
a couple pulls in with a 5th wheel: hooks up water, turns it on and they left the park. Well they hooked up to the flush not the city water hookup. Later somebody in the campground turned the water off, after it had already overflowed. When the couple got back they were upset that the water was off and had no water. After hooking water up the correct way, they went into the camper. Campground maintenance told them they had to clean up and they refused, so the campground made them pack up and leave. They said we have somebody coming out tomorrow to clean it. Maintenance was out there power washing the site, the road, for a couple of hours. The couple did NOT even clean their rig before leaving, they drove past us with the stuff falling off the roof on the road out the gate.
Maintenance went by with a shovel and a sprayer cleaning and sanitizing with bleach on the roads.

WOW! I can only imagine what that was like! What was falling off their roof? Makes you wonder if the park charged their credit card for the cleaning of the site.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:10 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
WOW! I can only imagine what that was like! What was falling off their roof? Makes you wonder if the park charged their credit card for the cleaning of the site.
Brown toilet paper, and solid brown items. Plus water dripping off when they turned the corners. To make matters worse, they were all the way in the back corner and had to drive thru the whole campground, past the lake, around the corner beside us and out the front gate.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
Brown toilet paper, and solid brown items. Plus water dripping off when they turned the corners. To make matters worse, they were all the way in the back corner and had to drive thru the whole campground, past the lake, around the corner beside us and out the front gate.

Nasty! I still don't understand how all of that got onto the roof. Did the system push all of that through the roof vents? If so that is a poop wash from top to bottom. I don't know how you would even begin to clean it. I would imagine it got everywhere. Under the floors & in the walls. I think I would clean it up best as possible & sell it right away. Bet they never make that mistake again.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:51 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
Nasty! I still don't understand how all of that got onto the roof. Did the system push all of that through the roof vents? If so that is a poop wash from top to bottom. I don't know how you would even begin to clean it. I would imagine it got everywhere. Under the floors & in the walls. I think I would clean it up best as possible & sell it right away. Bet they never make that mistake again.
Right up the roof vent. I would assume the tank and vent had a really great seal together as well as the seal for the toilet.
Wonder what would had happened if they had pushed the foot pedal on the toilet??!!!!!!!!

Tags
black tank, montana, tank