Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2017, 07:35 AM   #1

montana grey tank overflow?

we have a 2016 Montana 3720RL we love it a few minor issues but its been great. I noticed our tank gauges are inaccurate but reading this forum that sounds about normal so I'm not concerned there. we wintered in it this year and have used her a couple times this summer. my wife notified me that the sink was not draining I figured the tank was full. when I got out side there was a small drip coming from under the trailer. when I drained the tank the drip stopped. not to concerned about it. took to dealer for warranty and asked them to look at, of course they said there was nothing wrong no leaks or anything. took back out camping and then this happened again. its only when the kitchen sink grey tank gets full and wont drain that I notice the small drip. other then that everything is perfect. I drain black and both grey tanks pretty regularly so I have not had the issue with the other tanks but my wife uses a lot of water in the sink. the dealer tells me there is not overflow on these if so then there is a crack some where. I m sure he did not want to open up the belly as I don't either. so over flow valve or not?

thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 08:02 AM   #2

There is no overflow valve. And unless your dealer fills the tank completely, he won't find the leak.

If there is a crack, it will only get worst. Imagine the force 20 gallons of water has when it rushes from one side of the tank to the other? (Half full and you have to execute an emergency stop).

I'd fill it up and take it back to the dealer before the warranty runs out, then top it off on his lot.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #3

That was my plan, but wanted to make sure about the valve before he tore up the underbelly. We have an appointment 10/18.
On another note we are getting new tires this week Goodyear. Spoke to 3 different people in parks that have had blowouts on these stock tires.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

Good idea on the tires ! First thing I did with our new 5vr was replace the 'china bombs'...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #5

I agree with the advice about the leak. There is a crack near the top. There is no overflow valve. The dealer definitely does not want to pull the tank and replace it under warranty. Removing the belly is no big deal but a 2 person job to put back. It is only held with screws.

As for the tires, What is Goodyear putting on? G614's? I'm not familiar with your unit so I don't know size or weights. My Hitchhiker had G614's originally but after I blew a couple I changed to Goodyear G114. These are 17.5" commercial tires and are load range H. However, you also have to change the rims. So this is a pricey first time change. These tires will also go into the same space as G614's.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have not heard of blowouts with the new Goodyear Endurance tires. I have Goodyear Marathons on mine and have not had a problem. You can find people who have had blowouts with every brand of tire on the market. The folks who have tire pressure monitors have fewer and have less damage when they do. I would highly recommend you get one if you do not already and keep them inflated to the maximum listed on the sidewall. Under inflation causes heat which breaks down the tire and leads to failure.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:28 AM   #7

Going from an "E" rated to the
G614 "G" rated what impressed me was Goodyear will reimburse any damages caused by tire failure. Not waving the flag here but also like they are a US product.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #8

Put red koolaid in the drain so that when it drips out it will be easy to see, and leave a nice red stain on there pretty concrete to remind them of the BS THEY'VE PUT YOU THROUGH !
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #9

Now I really like that idea
Old 10-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #10

AS stated waste tanks do NOT have overflows.
They have drain lines going in and out and vent line

Drain line going in and vent line COULD be glued connection OR use a rubber grommet to seal cutout and pipe to tank.
Grommets can get dislodged during installation of drain/vent lines as they are a friction fit....shove too hard and pop grommet out of cutout. Fill tank and it will leak out of opening where grommet is.
Or could be a crack in waste tank.

Either way........underbelly has to be opened, drain line disconnected (usually by removal of drain valve) and then tank dropped AFTER tank has ben filled and leak location IDd.

Labor intensive.........$$$ warranty WHEN MFG agrees.

I like the idea of 'staining' water in 'Galley' tank to HELP them ID leak
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #11

If your tanks get full it would back up in to the sink or shower depending on how its laid out if it isn't doing this and actually full with dripping from the bottom of rig you have crack or loose connection.
Fyi, as far as black tank goes you can tell it's getting near full when you flush and the toilet burps as you flush.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:52 PM   #12

Yep, the only time it drips is when the tank is full (im assuming)and the sink is full and will not drain. Going to the store for some koolaid tonight🤣
Old 10-01-2017, 03:58 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like others have noted, the galley tank does not vent. It backs up into the sink, just like the shower on the other gray tank.

However, they are 10/15 gallons max, so they fill fast!
Any leaks on any of the tanks is bad.....never get better, only worse.

See your dealer. Warranty item for sure!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
IC2

OK, surprisingly, your 3720 gray tank capacity is a bit smaller then our HC343RL. The combined is 88 on yours and if like ours, about equally divided at about 40+/- gallons each (or something like that) but is more then 10-15 gallons for that kitchen sink. Also, if you use the Kool-Aid method for leak finding, get several packages or better yet, something like this as shown on AMAZON(12,000 gallons worth = a nice BIG red spot on the stearlerships floor https://www.amazon.com/Water-Tracing.../dp/B00FLXU6HS). Others like Home Depot or Lowe's have some products as well:
Red Water Tracing & Leak Detection Flourescent Dye - 1 Gallon

It may be as simple as a loose knife valve bolt or two, or a seal that wasn't properly fitted (ours was like that but it was the black tank - bleeeehhh - which I fixed myself)which only showed up when almost full from pressure(8.34 pounds/gallon x 40-50 gallons)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey tank, montana, tank