Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2017, 11:22 PM   #1

Montana vs Sandpiper

Hello,
I will be a first time RV owner and have been researching floorplans and models. My husband and I will be living in our RV fulltime will we are building (probably for 2 years). Can I get some advice on best brands relating to quality? I really like the Sandpiper 378FB because it has the larger bathroom and another half bath but I also like the Montana with the extra BR with desk. I'm a quilter and could use this extra space for my sewing but part of me wants the larger bathroom with washer/dryer closet! Does one have a better resale value? We probably wont keep our RV once our home is built. Thanks for any advice!
GG
royalgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 01:05 AM   #2

Being that the Montana has been the number 1 seller for many ,many years should help with the resale. This does not qualify Montana being the best but if you are not planning on keeping the rv very long then i would get the montana on account most rv owners have heard of the Montana and name recognition would help in selling your rv.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:42 AM   #3

Hello GG! Both units are nice plans. Questions pop into my mind when reading your post though. Is it just you and your hubby? How much cooking/prep do you do in the kitchen? What climate will you be living in while building?

If its just you two, then either one would suffice althogh if you have company having the bunk room would be nice along with giving you that extra place for quilting.

The prep/counter space in the kitchen of the Sandpiper is a bit better in my mind with a larger pantry and more usable counter space. If you don't do a lot of prep, then maybe this isn't as big a deal.

Not all units are built/warranted for full time living, and although you only plan for two years, it might be something to consider or ask about. Both Keystone and Forest River offer "cold weather" packages, so if you are going to be in the "snowbelt" area there will be some considerations during the winters.

We've not owned a Keystone product, but have owned a FR product. We were happy with our 2002 Wildcat, but did not full time in it. I personally think either unit would work well for you. It may boil down to more of a person preference on floor plans. Two years is not a terrible long time to deal with something if it isn't quite what you want. Hope this helps.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #4

I wonder about those plans that have a bathroom in the kitchen where a pantry or storage should be. Just me.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastbird View Post
I wonder about those plans that have a bathroom in the kitchen where a pantry or storage should be. Just me.
I certainly understand why they do that. I wouldn't want company to have to walk through the master bedroom to use the bathroom in the middle of the night or whenever.

The wife and I have looked at a couple of the front bath models and they are nice if you feel you need that much bath. The challenge then is that you generally loose floor space in the kitchen or living area. It's a matter of compromise.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #6

Montana or Sandpiper

In our search we looked at both. We thought Montana looked like much better quality.
Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Doc View Post
In our search we looked at both. We thought Montana looked like much better quality.
But is it really. They all use parts from the same place.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Possible frame weld broken on new Montana
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:10 PM   #8

We had a Sandpiper 377FL and were not happy with it. We had a lot of problems with it, and we did not realize how dark it was inside. We just got a 2017 Montana 3830FK and love it. Haven't had enough time to do much camping with it. It does seem like the build quality is better. I added a solar panel and dual batteries and the wiring was much better. The Sandpiper had a 20 cuft residential refer, and while it was fantastic with full hookups, I hated it when were were dry camping as it would really draw down the dual Trojan T105's,
borntodubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
montana vs sandpiper

We have had Montana and Earlier Jayco eagle. We are looking to trade now and we have looked at all montanas and 5 or 6 other brands. We just looked at a Jayco Pinnacle 36 KPTS and it was so much better layout and quality than any of the others we looked at except the mobile suites which are much more. I would suggest looking at the jayco pinnacles which should be bought for about the same price as montana or sandpiper. The layout on the one we are getting has been thought out much better and has lots of counter space and storage.
ccrewstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #10

Agree with OP about aspect of full time living in a RV. There are those that are made for a longer habitation than others and your dealer should be able topping out these models (also research on the net will give insight). when the Montana brand first hit the market, they had some really good models and construction. However, in my opinion, in the later years, the build quality did not keep up with the price increases (do not mean to offend anyone here). Your best bet, if able to, is to go to a large RV show, look at the various models, ask the questions, and see what your price range will get you, new. Then, you might consider shopping around for used units that meet your criteria. I think what you are looking at is the higher end models of 5th wheels for living in during construction. I would be more concerned with build quality, roof / load construction, sidewall framing (wood vs metal), amount of insulation, insulated bottom of RV and tanks, etc. I assume it does get clod to freezing where you live, and you need a model that will get you through that. Otherwise, you better have a propane truck parked next to the unit to stay warm. Hope this will give you some insight.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

My view is that the OP's 5th wheel will be sitting in one spot for the whole time they own it. It won't be put through the same rigors as if it were used during a camping season or worse yet as a traveling full timer would. The slides will be fully extended the whole time. It should be hooked up to water, elec and sewer also. So things like propane, batteries etc won't be an issue. Only things that would be of concern are the interior features, like the cabinets, lighting, bathroom, facilities, etc.
As long as the R-values are adequate heating and cooling should be fine. I see the only issue being resale value. Montana's the #1 seller in it's class. That means it's well known and may have more appeal.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana