Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2018, 06:28 AM   #1

Mor-ryde jerking on take off

Just returned from picking up my father in laws new cedar Creek 36ck and we were noticing more of jerk when taking off as well as a groaning noise from the pin box when turning. The dealer installed a mor-ryde 18k pin box and we put in a brand new Curt A20 in the truck. Curious as to what may be going on here. I have the same hitch but my trailer does not have a mor-ryde and I don't have either of these sounds. Maybe a slight jerk on take off but nothing like that.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2018, 01:36 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Try calling MorRyde. They have great customer service. Maybe they can offer an idea.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #3

The Mor-Ryde does move front go back. That might be what you were hearing.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Get a lube plate and put between the pin and receiver plate.
Should eliminate your issue. MorRyde is made to move back and forth. You should not really detect this from the cab.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #5

Anticipate the jerk (no, not you) and ease into and off the throttle. My 5ver w/MorRyde did the same. Also check pin latch on hitch for play. Anticipation is the key.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #6

The MorRyde plate shouldn't be banging. I would check the hitch itself to see how much slop there is. Hook up and chock the RV wheels. Put the truck in Drive and have someone watch the connection. Do the same in Reverse. Also, lower the landing legs of the RV and rise it until you just start lifting the truck. All weight off the truck suspension. See how much clearance you get between the hitch plate and the MorRyde plate. Put a Lube plate of the correct size in.
Also, is you Curt hitch using the Puck system or is it on rails? If rails, there is usually slop in the pins to legs of the hitch. I have seen the puck system have a little bit of movement but not like with rails.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:52 PM   #7

Thanks for the info. He didn't use the lube plate but will definitely the next time out. I did notice that when I drove there was no "jerking" and I mentioned that you should ease into the throttle. However my father in law feels that shouldn't matter.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:50 PM   #8

Could be to light of springs. There should be dust marks where the bushings glide back and forth on the lower plate. You can take a pic and text/email it to MORyde and they'll tell you if it's right or not.
I did on my MR when I had concerns similar to yours.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #9

The MR pin box is a very simple setup--I have had one for the past 11 years with no banging/jerking. The shock absorber itself is a rubber 'spring' that allows the upper and lower portions to move somewhat to absorb shocks. On a new trailer, would not expect a problem, but check with MR. And yes, be sure to use a teflon disc between the hitch surfaces.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
The MorRyde plate shouldn't be banging. I would check the hitch itself to see how much slop there is. Hook up and chock the RV wheels. Put the truck in Drive and have someone watch the connection. Do the same in Reverse. Also, lower the landing legs of the RV and rise it until you just start lifting the truck. All weight off the truck suspension. See how much clearance you get between the hitch plate and the MorRyde plate. Put a Lube plate of the correct size in.
Also, is you Curt hitch using the Puck system or is it on rails? If rails, there is usually slop in the pins to legs of the hitch. I have seen the puck system have a little bit of movement but not like with rails.
Good advice, We found that the dealer didn't do the most painstaking job of adjusting the cams on our hitch puck cams. Also after a few thousand miles of towing I tweaked them a second time. Nothing major but left loose / mis-aligned they could pop during some maneuvers. Our hitch came with a wrench to adjust the 4 cams. 30 min. and some patience (little white grease) you can get them just right. It's prudent to go over (Re-Torque) all that stuff every few thousand miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
The MR pin box is a very simple setup--I have had one for the past 11 years with no banging/jerking. The shock absorber itself is a rubber 'spring' that allows the upper and lower portions to move somewhat to absorb shocks. On a new trailer, would not expect a problem, but check with MR. And yes, be sure to use a teflon disc between the hitch surfaces.
Agreed, the pinbox has been generally smooth quiet. BTW: Get the 12" disc(s)
Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote