Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2021, 05:30 PM   #1

More pin weight questions

Ok, so I've learned from this forum that the pin weight should be about 20% if the trailer weight. But the rated weights I'm seeing don't seem to match up.

For example I'm looking at an Arctic Wolf 261RK. Which lists the UVW at 7,773lb and the pin weight at 1325lb. I'm assuming the listed pin weight is at UVW making the pin weight only about 17%.

The cargo weight is 3752lb. Is that where the 20% comes in? 20% there would add 750lb so a maximum loaded pin weight of 2075lb. Am I correct there?

But I also wonder if a typical couple would normally travel with nearly that much cargo? My wife and I currently live in a 1 Br apartment. Besides furniture that wouldn't go in a trailer we might have a dozen suitcases worth of stuff including food. That can't weigh too much 6-800lb. So propane, hitch, water. Am I missing a lot?

TIA
Squantobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2021, 05:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantobon View Post
Ok, so I've learned from this forum that the pin weight should be about 20% if the trailer weight. But the rated weights I'm seeing don't seem to match up.

For example I'm looking at an Arctic Wolf 261RK. Which lists the UVW at 7,773lb and the pin weight at 1325lb. I'm assuming the listed pin weight is at UVW making the pin weight only about 17%.

The cargo weight is 3752lb. Is that where the 20% comes in? 20% there would add 750lb so a maximum loaded pin weight of 2075lb. Am I correct there?

But I also wonder if a typical couple would normally travel with nearly that much cargo? My wife and I currently live in a 1 Br apartment. Besides furniture that wouldn't go in a trailer we might have a dozen suitcases worth of stuff including food. That can't weigh too much 6-800lb. So propane, hitch, water. Am I missing a lot?

TIA
Don't over think it. 15-20% See where your water tanks are and whether they add to the pin weight. No you won't put 1.5 tons of stuff on, although it does add up.

Load it up with what you think you need and go play. See how it rides. You can stop at a CAT scale and get weighed, then drop the trailer and weigh the truck. That will then tell you where it sits, and whether you feel the need to move things around. (Heavy tools in the pass through etc......)
Old 10-21-2021, 07:02 PM   #3

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
What a nice fiver to be looking at; just store the heavy stuff like tools, outdoor stuff in those front bays, pots, pans, canned food and drinking water (beer) as far forward as storage will allow, save those rear storage areas for the plastic and paper stuff.
Pull it, what does it fell like, weigh it, make adjustments to tire pressure to the load if necessary but most of all, go have fun!

What will you be pulling it with? Don’t forget about the truck payload room because these lite weight fivers are are designed to hold pin weight to a minimum, more room for outdoor stuff.
Retired Tanker Yanker 2017 F-250 6.7 2019 Reflection 150 273 MK, Carlisle CSL 16 225/75 15, MORryde CRE 3000 & center X cross brace, Sumo springs, Andersen Ultimate Hitch May your pleasures be many and your troubles be few! Safe Journey.
Skilletface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Add the cargo weight to the dry weight, then take 20% of that total for your estimated weight. Just do not pay attention to the dry weight as for figuring the load. Dry plus cargo weight should be the trailers GVWR,

GVWR x 0.2 = estimated pin weight.

Ken
Old 10-21-2021, 08:52 PM   #5

My Arctic Fox has the fresh tank centered over the axles. I weighed with the fresh tank empty and then full, and the pin weight did not change a bit. Trailer weight changed a lot, of course.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Add the cargo weight to the dry weight, then take 20% of that total for your estimated weight. Just do not pay attention to the dry weight as for figuring the load. Dry plus cargo weight should be the trailers GVWR,

GVWR x 0.2 = estimated pin weight.

Ken
What I'm getting at is that that dry pin weight rating is only 17% of the dry weight and perhaps lighter 5ers don't need quite as high a % pin weight? I'm not sure why I'd want to front load the trailer to achieve 20% if 17% is ok dry?
Old 10-21-2021, 09:02 PM   #7

I am not sure you need a higher pin weight. I thought that was just what to expect.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
What a nice fiver to be looking at;
Yeah, it's maybe a little bigger than what we need still. The one change I'd like to make is a king bed but we can live with a queen.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:24 AM   #9

Once you make the move from tent camping or a popup, you discover storage is fun. You start with pots and pans, dishes, glasses etc and just that can be 300lbs or more.

Tools, camping chairs and table, BBQ...the stuff adds up.

A light pin percentage wise can cause chucking or bad ride. Trailer manufacturers love listing light imaginary pin weights so they can sell to those thinking their weak 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck is plenty strong. Many times propane, water and other stuff are not included in this imaginary dry and pin weight.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:40 AM   #10

Quote:

TIA

Well the normal average for 5er's is 20% to 25%, but you have a rear kitchen without a bedroom slide, so you could end up between 18% to 20% depending on what you load it with.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 10:51 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
What I'm getting at is that that dry pin weight rating is only 17% of the dry weight and perhaps lighter 5ers don't need quite as high a % pin weight? I'm not sure why I'd want to front load the trailer to achieve 20% if 17% is ok dry?
A 5er has most of its storage area in the large basement, which is forward of the axles, so this weight is mostly on the pin. Then if you add a washer=drier to the front closet it will increase the pinweight more.

Our triple axel (non-toyhauler) has a loaded pin weight of 21% of our GVWR. They general rule is never pay much attention to the brochure weights.

Ken
Old 10-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #12

UVW (Dry weight) is as it left factory
Does not include weight of propane, fresh water/water heater water
Some RV MFG use an 'average' UVW for models...some use each actual model weight

Dealer added options not included either

Published hitch/pin weights are based on UVW
17% Dry pin weight can easily reach 20% WET pin weights when 5vr is loaded up
20% - 25% is the 'typical' wet ratios

Light weight 5vrs can have wet pin ratios below 20% and tow perfectly fine
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A 5er has most of its storage area in the large basement, which is forward of the axles, so this weight is mostly on the pin.
Increasingly on newer models the raised kitchens or bedrooms in the back provide TONS of storage under the floor, well aft of the axles. I don't know if axle placement was changed to accommodate. Something to keep an eye on.

Tags
weight