Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

MorRyde Suspension: Shackle Failure

I was pulling the rig to NC and someone in the next lane honked and pointed to the trailer. I pulled over and found that my right side/rear axel tire shredded and the wheel was riding on air. I lifted the rig with the leveler system and changed to the spare and was on my way when, not 5 minutes later, the spare failed. Now I needed roadside assistance since I was out of spares. They came quickly and took the wheel and removed the spare. While they were gone I looked at the chassis and found that the shackles attached to the MorRyde suspension were worn through at the bolt holes, both sides, and the shackle cut into the tires. I called the shop and they made up new shackles so that I could be on the road again.

I didn't know that this was a problem that needed to be monitored but I will be buying an upgraded shackle kit. All the other shackles seem to be OK so I don't know why just this one failed. I don't know if MorRyde supplied the shackles to Jayco (or to any other manufacturer) since the suspension is sold separately. Anyway: Beware.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #2

I upgraded the shackles, bolts and bushings earlier this year and I would recommend everyone to do the same. Don't know why manufacturers use such crap just to save a couple of bucks.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:16 PM   #3

You need shackles with a wet bolt kit so you can grease them.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #4

I had the Mor-Ryde LRE 4000 on my Montana and it failed. This is suppose to be the best suspension Mor-Ryde has except for the I.S. I was inspecting the suspension in my driveway before a trip and noticed the right rear shackle bolt was missing. When going forward the wheel would shift backward and when going backward it would shift forward.This would always be at an angle and the tire was worn pretty bad on the inside. I don't know how long this had been going on but obviously long enough to ruin my tire. My shackle didn't break and no other damage except tire but if i had continued running like that then i could have had a blowout or bearing failure because of the angle of the tire. I was fixing to go on a trip 600 miles from home and this could have been a catastrophe.This was enough to get my wife off the fence about the Mor-Ryde independent suspension. It's always better to carry a spare wet bolt or grade 8 bolt just in case one of your bolts breaks but if shackle breaks you need obviously need more than a bolt. I learned that it's better to inspect on both ends of the trip instead of just at home.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #5

I've had good luck with the ezflex for 3 years. Wet bolts kits are excellent and the side plates are probably twice as thick as oem. It makes it much more rigid and tough.
rjxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:55 PM   #6

MorRyde supplies only the CRE3000 or LRE4000 to the manufacturers who then install them with the thin OEM shackles. What is needed is the heavy duty shackle and wet bolt kit that will last far longer. Blame it on using the cheapest possible parts.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjxj View Post
I've had good luck with the ezflex for 3 years. Wet bolts kits are excellent and the side plates are probably twice as thick as oem. It makes it much more rigid and tough.
To avoid any confusion, the EZ-Flex are Dexter branded and yes, the plates are 1/2" thick.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
You need shackles with a wet bolt kit so you can grease them.
I bought my wet bolt kit from Nicks truck parts in Penn. $ 80.00. good price
Old 08-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
I bought my wet bolt kit from Nicks truck parts in Penn. $ 80.00. good price
Is this the going price for the thicker shackles and wet bolts from Mor-Ryde??? I contacted them this morning and they got right back with me with the part number for the kit... Nice !!!! There are a few dealers here local... Guess I'll call... Just wondered on what price I should look for... Thanks. As others, we have the thin shackles and standard bolts... I already see dirty stuff around the bolts which tells me something is wearing... Not good...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:57 AM   #10

For those still on the fence about changing to heavier shackles and wet bolts, here's a pic of what I took off and put on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	641.4 KB
ID:	174770  
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #11

Monkey-
Etrailer has them for $70. Don't know about shipping.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:53 PM   #12

Monkey,
I also have a 28SGS, what was the part numbers and brand they provided you ?
Thomas J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J. View Post
Monkey,
I also have a 28SGS, what was the part numbers and brand they provided you ?
This was from Mor-Ryde... I told them my info,,, The way I see it you need to find a local dealer to get the parts... I could be wrong... But here is the part number,,, We have Correct Track like I figure you do...
U012-29 Contact them... to make sure on yours... I had a response in an hour... NICE !!!!!
Monkey
PS,,, I have not yet checked local prices...
Old 08-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf View Post
Monkey-
Etrailer has them for $70. Don't know about shipping.
Thankyou Very Much !!!! I will check there !!!! Small price to pay as I've already seen "black dust" around the bolts with 5K miles... hmmmmm I know that means wear....
Monkey

Tags
suspension