Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #15

I have the dual wheel swivel wheel and pull it behind my d.r.v.,no problem.I do have a camera on the d.r.v. pointed at the swivel wheel
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 07:28 PM   #16

Many, if not most, of the highways in Colorado will loosen your teeth if you ride your motorcycle in the wheel grooves, left or right, while the lane center and yellow lines are smooth as silk. In heavy rain, the wheel tracks are also a great place to hydroplane.

Urban intersections in light rain are a different story, and the “ride in the gutters” advice applies. Otherwise, in my experience, it’s bad advice.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Lane position
On a motorcycle or moped, you do not have the protection of a vehicle around you, so you have to make your own protection. To do this, you need to position your vehicle in the best possible spot on the road.
Depending on traffic and road conditions, the best position in the lane is usually a little to the left or right of the centre of the lane, in the track where the tires of a four-wheeled vehicle would travel. This spot is referred to as the left or right “tire track.” It is considered the best position for keeping a safe distance from other vehicles, for seeing and being seen, and for the smoothest road surface with the best traction. It is also called the “blocking position” because it blocks or discourages other drivers from trying to squeeze past you in the same lane

I don't see where center road debris is mentioned as a issue per the earlier post. My solution is to go around them. I prefer to ride the center of my lane for all the benefits mentioned above.
If you ever take a motorcycle riding course, then you will be told to not ride in the center of the lane. You will be taught to ride in either the right or left track because of the oil deposits in the center of the lane.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #18

The MSF manual. Attachment 228414Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181208-084902_Drive.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	228415
Old 12-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
If you ever take a motorcycle riding course, then you will be told to not ride in the center of the lane. You will be taught to ride in either the right or left track because of the oil deposits in the center of the lane.

Taken the MC course twice and don't remember that suggestion. With 40 years/200k miles riding a MC, I'm probably not going to change now, riding the center of the lane works for me. I have dodged a few deer and cars pulling out to pass from the opposite direction and riding the center of the lane gives me the best position to swerve either way. I once even rode the center line between a semi and passing car with only a split second to react, no time to even slow down. Two years ago a car drifted into my lane from the opposite direction, I swerved to the shoulder and the car behind me got hit head on and flipped the car over onto the roof.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by normy41 View Post
Good Morning Everyone, does anyone know where I can get a trailer to put behind my fifth wheel to transport my Harley? I would really prefer something with a couple swivel wheels under it. The swivel wheels would make it much easier to back up. However I have also seen one with stationary wheels and there is a ramp with a winch that will pull the motorcycle onto it strapped down. Any help would be appreciated? Thank you!
Can't double tow in florida
Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #21

Quote:
I drive a trike. What am I supposed to do?
Old 12-08-2018, 03:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Wonder if they say to not let your left foot hang over the center line. Last time I was on the Blue ridge, I met a few and I'm not getting off the road and going down the mountainside because he thinks its cool to have his foot there.
Tegu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Can't double tow in florida

A swivel trailer is not a double tow. It's a frame mounted platform with a support wheel. We spent 3 winters in FL with our swivel trailer and seen others there, no problem.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #24

Triple E Owners Club
JMHO

Wouldn’t a toy hauler be the safer option? Because we have a dog, we need a toad. If no dog, we’d trailer our motorcycles. Love them too much to expose them to potential road damage or exposure to road debris we may not be able to avoid.
2001 Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic (significantly modified)
5 x late 70’s Yamaha XS650 (stock collectors)
1972 Honda CT90 (stock collector)

We did find a ramp/carrier with a 2” receiver capable of 400 lbs, and with the hitch on the CRV rated at 750 lbs, we’ll be travelling with the CT90 next year. But we’ll do a short shakedown cruise with the setup to see how it performs.

Ride to live - live to ride.

DJ
Old 12-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
A swivel trailer is not a double tow. It's a frame mounted platform with a support wheel. We spent 3 winters in FL with our swivel trailer and seen others there, no problem.
(93)Definition from Fla statutes- TRAILER.—Any vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle.
I would call it a platform then and don't call it your swivel trailer. Also, I would not count on what you see others doing. Going to see a lot of people speeding and not getting stopped.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegu View Post
(93)Definition from Fla statutes- TRAILER.—Any vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer, designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle.
I would call it a platform then and don't call it your swivel trailer. Also, I would not count on what you see others doing. Going to see a lot of people speeding and not getting stopped.

The swivel trailer is really an extension to the camping trailer. I have used this one for 6 years and 50k miles and had no issues. What is your experience with using a swivel trailer?? Like I said earlier, be wary of bad information from people that never had a swivel trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameo1.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	228578  
Old 12-10-2018, 09:09 AM   #27

I see what looks to be a tag on the rear of your "swivel trailer". Is that moved from the fifth wheel, or did you have to register it as a trailer. No I have never used one, does that matter.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #28

these are very interesting..and a possible solution to our problem of not getting a toy hauler for a MC....the only drawback I can see would be overall length as an extension to a 40' trailer that would be illegal in several states if they chose to enforce it maybe?

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer