Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #43

Pulling Doubles....

I was in the trucking business for many years and I always cringe when I see someone pulling a trailer behind a trailer, such as a pickup truck pulling a 5th wheel pulling another trailer on the back. Sure it is possible, but I have seen it go wrong many times. Just try to stop quickly, or change lanes quickly and it can result in a whipping effect that rarely turns out well. Some states do prohibit individuals pulling "doubles" for this very reason. Sure, truckers do it, but with significant braking available on all axles and even then it can become a pretty dicey proposition, especially on ice. I have a Harley and would recommend of the many "hydraulic lift" devises that mount securely on the back of your 5th wheel or RV, and then a camera to keep an eye on the whole thing. Watching your 5th wheel drag your truck backwards into a ditch while rolling over on your Harley will make the cost of a hydraulic lift seem like nothing. Just my thoughts... Be safe.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2018, 04:53 PM   #44

Look Trailer (5x8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by normy41 View Post
Good Morning Everyone, does anyone know where I can get a trailer to put behind my fifth wheel to transport my Harley? I would really prefer something with a couple swivel wheels under it. The swivel wheels would make it much easier to back up. However I have also seen one with stationary wheels and there is a ramp with a winch that will pull the motorcycle onto it strapped down. Any help would be appreciated? Thank you!
This is mine 5x8 and perfect for one Harley.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FB0A20A-BC38-46DE-B8EF-B86FA4890503.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	229223   Click image for larger version

Name:	F6170D2D-9E95-45B6-BFEA-752BF6E79F06.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	229224  

tmsimmons56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I have a swivel trailer behind my fifth wheel for the last 6 years to haul a Goldwing 1800 and now a VTX1300. I have had a couple of tire blowouts and you don't even know they happened until someones pulls along side to tell you. I still prefer the single wheel as it is only one wheel to maintain and the double wheel only adds 200# extra pay load. I would suggest a TMPS, backup camera, and carry 2 spare tires. Swivel trailers are considered a rear mounted platform with a support wheel and no licenses or 2nd trailer restrictions apply. Don't trust opinions from people that have not had one.
I have been asking that question here in Washington state and even Fromm troopers get both answers, ok and no way. I wish someone could point me to a difinative answer. Something in writing.
Tonysoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonysoup View Post
I have been asking that question here in Washington state and even Fromm troopers get both answers, ok and no way. I wish someone could point me to a difinative answer. Something in writing.

Check the link on post#33 from Mr D.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbucking View Post
I was in the trucking business for many years and I always cringe when I see someone pulling a trailer behind a trailer, such as a pickup truck pulling a 5th wheel pulling another trailer on the back. Sure it is possible, but I have seen it go wrong many times. Just try to stop quickly, or change lanes quickly and it can result in a whipping effect that rarely turns out well. Some states do prohibit individuals pulling "doubles" for this very reason. Sure, truckers do it, but with significant braking available on all axles and even then it can become a pretty dicey proposition, especially on ice. I have a Harley and would recommend of the many "hydraulic lift" devises that mount securely on the back of your 5th wheel or RV, and then a camera to keep an eye on the whole thing. Watching your 5th wheel drag your truck backwards into a ditch while rolling over on your Harley will make the cost of a hydraulic lift seem like nothing. Just my thoughts... Be safe.

A hydraulic lift is too heavy for the rear of a fifth wheel camper or a light duty motorhome.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.B. View Post
Costs around $10,000 with the bike loader and is bit complex having a compressed air system to accommodate reversing direction. Be sure to find out how long it takes to change modes from forward to reverse.

Needs a 40 amp power feed to operate which many may not have available without running a dedicated circuit from the tow vehicle.

Hope all the major insurance carriers will allow for it despite the manufacturers claim of being legal in all States. Unfortunately many times you won't know that until its too late.

Interesting but be sure to dot all the i's and cross all the t's before sending in the $2,000 non-refundable deposit.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:15 AM   #49

Quote:
Good Morning Everyone, does anyone know where I can get a trailer to put behind my fifth wheel to transport my Harley? I would really prefer something with a couple swivel wheels under it. The swivel wheels would make it much easier to back up. However I have also seen one with stationary wheels and there is a ramp with a winch that will pull the motorcycle onto it strapped down. Any help would be appreciated? Thank you!
:Illegal in British Columbia, Canada.
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #50

If you will call me at 575-740-1408, I can help you. I am not a business.
Earl.
relowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:01 PM   #51

Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Costs around $10,000 with the bike loader and is bit complex having a compressed air system to accommodate reversing direction. Be sure to find out how long it takes to change modes from forward to reverse.

Needs a 40 amp power feed to operate which many may not have available without running a dedicated circuit from the tow vehicle.

Hope all the major insurance carriers will allow for it despite the manufacturers claim of being legal in all States. Unfortunately many times you won't know that until its too late.

Interesting but be sure to dot all the i's and cross all the t's before sending in the $2,000 non-refundable deposit.
Swivel wheel can do the same thing,without the high cost and complexity
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
A hydraulic lift is too heavy for the rear of a fifth wheel camper or a light duty motorhome.
see this https://hydralift-usa.com/5th-wheel-lift/
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #53

We have used swivel wheel for about 8 years to haul Harley Ultra Classic. We had to give up riding this year and sell Harley :( Swivel wheel is for sale . It has two stingers to attach to 5th wheel so does not have to be registered as trailer. It is in AZ.
billiejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #54

Quote:
:there is a place in Kent Washington that sells the Torklift system but I did not get the name or address for you, they use the ordinary run your mc onto what looks like a metal 2x4 your wheel goes to the stop and there is a piece that comes back locking the wheel in place, then the Tork Lift lifts your bike up high and dry to the back wall of the MH. I found this on Google by just asking them what you were looking for. This is a way better system than a trailer as easy load and easy off.
Peter
studesrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer