Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 06:42 AM   #1

Motorcycle trailer behind my Fifth Wheel

Good Morning Everyone, does anyone know where I can get a trailer to put behind my fifth wheel to transport my Harley? I would really prefer something with a couple swivel wheels under it. The swivel wheels would make it much easier to back up. However I have also seen one with stationary wheels and there is a ramp with a winch that will pull the motorcycle onto it strapped down. Any help would be appreciated? Thank you!
normy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #2

Can't help with the trailer but prior to running out and making the purchase, I'd check with your State DMV and find out if you need a different drivers license. Here in CA, you'll need a Class A license to pull 'doubles'
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 AM   #3

There are some swivel wheels that don't qualify as a "trailer", so no special license required.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #4

This is one. http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwhe...0aAmgyEALw_wcB
Old 12-03-2018, 08:33 AM   #5

I don't think I'd want a single wheel trailer to carry an MC behind my 5th wheel. Having a blowout on that SRW would not be fun.
One thing I was taught when riding MC's is to never ride in the middle of the lane. Lots of debris sits there because it's out of the path of car/truck tires.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You are also find that some states won't allow a trailer behind another trailer. WA is one. The listing I just looked at said swivel wheel extensions were not legal in WA either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #7

trailer

Link: Idaho Tote Dolly – Tow your atv, motorcycle, golf cart behind your rv.

Claims it's legal in ALL 50 states.

C.B.
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 AM   #8

I have a swivel trailer behind my fifth wheel for the last 6 years to haul a Goldwing 1800 and now a VTX1300. I have had a couple of tire blowouts and you don't even know they happened until someones pulls along side to tell you. I still prefer the single wheel as it is only one wheel to maintain and the double wheel only adds 200# extra pay load. I would suggest a TMPS, backup camera, and carry 2 spare tires. Swivel trailers are considered a rear mounted platform with a support wheel and no licenses or 2nd trailer restrictions apply. Don't trust opinions from people that have not had one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cameo1.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	227906  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:06 AM   #9

Cumminsfan -- Thank you for the heads up about the middle of a travel lane. I too was taught the same thing about riding a motorcycle. While I do avoid the center of any lane that it something that I completely forgot about. I am giving up on the single wheel and will now concentrate on finding a double wheel?
normy41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I don't think I'd want a single wheel trailer to carry an MC behind my 5th wheel. Having a blowout on that SRW would not be fun.
One thing I was taught when riding MC's is to never ride in the middle of the lane. Lots of debris sits there because it's out of the path of car/truck tires.

So having 2 wheels with twice the blow out risk is a better situation? I usually ride my motorcycle in the middle of the lane to give myself the max distance/time reaction from the opposite lane traffic and deer jumping out of the ditch.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #11

Motorcycles Handbook
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #12

Never checked it out but they make tires that are solid (I think) for wheel barrows and such. I have no idea if they are big enough for a swivel wheel trailer but that may be a possibility for flat tires also.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
Never checked it out but they make tires that are solid (I think) for wheel barrows and such. I have no idea if they are big enough for a swivel wheel trailer but that may be a possibility for flat tires also.

Solid tires would make for a very rough trailer ride, might as well just use a steel wheel. Also, the 8" tires are 8 ply at a 100 psi and are not that easy to find, so you need to carry extra spares. Any taller of a tire size would just make the trailer too high for stability and loading.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

Lane position
On a motorcycle or moped, you do not have the protection of a vehicle around you, so you have to make your own protection. To do this, you need to position your vehicle in the best possible spot on the road.
Depending on traffic and road conditions, the best position in the lane is usually a little to the left or right of the centre of the lane, in the track where the tires of a four-wheeled vehicle would travel. This spot is referred to as the left or right “tire track.” It is considered the best position for keeping a safe distance from other vehicles, for seeing and being seen, and for the smoothest road surface with the best traction. It is also called the “blocking position” because it blocks or discourages other drivers from trying to squeeze past you in the same lane

I don't see where center road debris is mentioned as a issue per the earlier post. My solution is to go around them. I prefer to ride the center of my lane for all the benefits mentioned above.

Tags
fifth wheel, trailer