Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2020, 08:31 AM   #1

Moving A 5th Wheel Head-On Into A Site Possible?

Hello Forum,

Is it possible to move a 5th wheel head-on into a site?

I'm asking this because I may get a permanent site in an RV resort where it is necessary to move any RV - motorhome, or trailer, or 5th wheel - head-on into the site. This resort will be in a way my "home base," and I would like to have a 5th wheel there while still using my smaller motorhome for traveling.

The site in question is very beautiful - but any RV has to be placed in there head-on.

How can this be done, or do I have to forget such a site for a 5th wheel?

Thanks!
resucami is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #2

The sites arent pull through? How are other campers in the sites?
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #3

It's a dead-end site, not a pull-through site.

Right now people with a Class A are using the site, and they are moving in head-on.

The question is: Are there possibilities to move a 5th wheel into such a site without pulling it in. Are there possibly "devices with wheels" that can be put underneath the front of a 5th wheel, and is it then possible to push a 5th wheel safely into such a site?
Old 04-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #4

You can pull into a site, that's no problem. As long as the hookups are on that side or your lines will reach, you should be good. The problem is, can you get your truck out? When we travel, I need my truck unhooked for getting around.
TMyers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:53 AM   #5

See if the ground crew of the campground has an attachment for one of their tractors and would place it for you. Many campgrounds I've been to do and will do it for a small fee.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

What if there is no space in front of the 5th wheel (at the end of the dead-end) even for a tractor?

Are there techniques to PUSH a 5th wheel into place? To pay extra for that is not the problem as this would have to be done only once.

Is my question really so difficult to understand?
Old 04-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by resucami View Post
Hello Forum,

Is it possible to move a 5th wheel head-on into a site?......

How can this be done, or do I have to forget such a site for a 5th wheel?

Thanks!
They make 5th wheel electric tugs...
Old 04-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmeris View Post
They make 5th wheel electric tugs...
That is awesome. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #9

Quote:
What if there is no space in front of the 5th wheel (at the end of the dead-end) even for a tractor?

Are there techniques to PUSH a 5th wheel into place? To pay extra for that is not the problem as this would have to be done only once.

Contact a local tow truck service and see what they suggest.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:09 AM   #10

Unless you have room to unhitch and move the truck from the front of the trailer, I don't know of any way to move a 5er without using a skip loader or short tractor that has a fifth wheel hitch assembled on it somehow.

It's hard to imagine any campground or RV resort that makes it mandatory to pull into the campsite front first. A lot of folks with motor homes pull in forward because the view from the front windshield is more appealing looking at a tree line or a lake or a river facing the back side of the parking pad, opposed to facing the other direction, looking at a road, other campers, and buildings.

Check with the park management and make your only option is to pull in forward.

FYI, if your fifth wheel has windows in the back, you probably want the camper pulled in rear first, so YOU don't have to look at the road either.

I'm fortunate, and made specific choices for the fifth wheel I currently own. It has doors on both sides of the trailer. We also installed an awning over the back door on the drive's side, and LED lights. We can use the camper facing either direction, and either side can be the front door.

At home, the "back" door IS the front door. At campgrounds, our "back door" really confuses people. We always try to pick campsites that the back door won't intrude on our neighbors. It also means parking the trailer more in the center of the pad or even farther to the passenger side edge of the pad.

Check with the campground management about backing in or pulling in head on first. Remember, your utility hook-ups have to reach also. And if you pull in forward, is your door now facing the neighbor campsite intruding on their space. Just some things to think about and ask about.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2020, 12:17 PM   #11

Quote:

Not it's not difficult to understand. I know of no way to really push a 5ver and have control without causing damage to rear or bending the frame. The front would need something to hold it up that has wheels. Because of the height of the hitch pin that will be a lot of lateral force, so what ever you build will need to take that in account.

A trailer mover dolly might work but I've never seen one for rent.

Me personally, if there was no way for a tractor to place it, I would pass on the site.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #12

Yeah in nose first to me is a bad idea. If you needed to move in a hurry your hosed Not something that id do.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Contact local towing company see if they have a Semi Dolly and they will figure out how to winch it into place!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dolly.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	281466  
Old 04-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a absolutely crazy rule this park has. In all the years I've been using trailers, never once has a park required me to pull straight in, pull thru sites excluded. Most sites do not have room to maneuver your tow vehicle once in the site. Say bye-bye to use of your tow vehicle.

It is just plain nuts to require that.

It's also a emergency exit issue as well, in case of fire, etc.

I would move on and find another park.

(me hope this isn't a belated april fools posting).
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel