Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
I am going to guess it does not work well with plastic faucets...
Luckily I doubt you'll find very many plastic hose bibs out there. They don't last very long so the RV parks would be replacing them on a regular basis. This is only for the water connection at the park, not on your trailer. If you disinfect your hoses and trailer water system on regular basis with dilute bleach, it won't be the problem. It's the guy who used the camping spot before you that you should worry about.

We have flamed PVC pipes at work for Bac-T analysis, but it does blacken the end pretty good.
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #44

I know what you mean with the park faucets. We went to a park that mentioned that there was still a RV on our site, check in time showed up and there was a different person in the office. There is still a RV on our spot, "oh, that is ours..." ...really... They come and move the campground owned trailer, disconnect the water and sewer hose and together throw them on the side in the grass..... "Remind me not to rent one of their trailers", I told the wife, "and get me the Clorox."
Old 09-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #45

Quote:
The quickest and easiest way to disinfect (in this case sterilize) the faucet is with a propane torch
Used to do that until a campground owner raised holy h**l with me for doing so. He claimed the heat/fire burned off the pretty paint he used on the water faucets and warped the threads. I was not going to argue - his park, his rules and obviously he was not going to change his mind.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
I am going to guess it does not work well with plastic faucets...
Or with the plastic innards of brass backflow preventers either. I can see where CG owners would be a little miffed watching you torch their faucets.

JMHO but this paranoia about water in and dump out with gloves, hazmat suits and the like continue to amaze me. AND provide lots of entertainment at dump stations. Now I'm going to have to start watching water hook ups.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 AM   #47

Thanks for the great replies everyone!
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't have to do the Walmart single ply TP test, the stuf falls apart in my hand while using it. The SCOTT marine and rv TP works well and I did the test on it. It doesn't break down as fast, but it does break down. So I think it will be in the system long enough not to cause a problem with the black water drainage and last long enough not to cause a problem with my white hand sanitainage!
(Sorry, I just had to make up that last word.)
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
angel soft septic safe is dual ply and works well. I use a clear elbow on my dump and can see it has dissolved. Not so much the northern i tried . Saw globs come popping through with that. That clear elbow also helps you know you really have it cleaned out.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #50

A few other things that may come in handy: Pre-departure check list, subscription to a good roadside emergency assistance plan eg: Good Sam, water pressure guage and regulator, a box each of quart and gallon zip-loc bags, awining tie downs, leveling wood, fire ant killer, compass, first aid kit, rain jacket & umbrella, tire pressure guage, sewer donut, bungy cords in various lengths, grease jar and a Rand McNally road atlas. Happy trails. PB
Paul & Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkhorses View Post
angel soft septic safe is dual ply and works well. I use a clear elbow on my dump and can see it has dissolved. Not so much the northern i tried . Saw globs come popping through with that. That clear elbow also helps you know you really have it cleaned out.
X2 on the clear elbow.

You can watch the golden nuggets roll on by.
majorloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #52

A set of tie down poles for your power awning like these: Power Awning Tie Down Poles - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #53

A water pressure regulator.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #54

Don't forget the wife (if there is one)
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I do the same as well as my to connections. Seen too many dogs that think its a fire hydrant. Harbor freight has a nice small tool box full of tools that come in handy. Also plastic gloves and spare fuses. Extra garbage bags & I also take my passport & at least $3-400.00 cash stashed away. I keep a spare couple of connecting bars for my tow bar in case someone steels them (again). I have 2 pair of leather gloves & several pair of cheap gloves. Also, I have a pair of jumper cables and lots of AA & AAAA batteries. You will probably want some window cleaning equipment. Finally, a good extension cord , #6 or 8 wire & I carry an extra 40' of 50 amp cable & extra garden hose. Extra keys for the car & RV stashed where you can access them. We usually travel 3-6 months at a time - so after 3 years, this is my list.
GreatDane37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
WOW - haul all this stuff listed so far and you need an 18 wheeler following you

I take a bit of a different approach and you can to depending on your camping locations

We take enough for the trip there and things needed to hook up and unhook and money/cards

EVERYWHERE has stores close and so after we set up camp and go out to eat, we stop at a wally world or whatever and get the necessary items only...

It's a vacation for all of us, so we like to go out to eat if possible and not spend time cooking, cleaning, etc