Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #1

Need A New Mattress

I have a queen mattress in my 5th and I'm looking to install something a little larger. The only size that will fit, due mainly to the length, is 72"x72". I can't seem to find anything on-line other than the standard size 72"x78". Any ideas where I should look?
tboogie0503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #2

Camping World carries a short queen matress.
don rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboogie0503 View Post
I have a queen mattress in my 5th and I'm looking to install something a little larger. The only size that will fit, due mainly to the length, is 72"x72". I can't seem to find anything on-line other than the standard size 72"x78". Any ideas where I should look?
I have a bum back and I swear by my Select Comfort air mattress. Both sides inflate and deflate separately.

I have had one in my house for years. Last year when I went looking for a new motorhome I was looking at a new 2012 Winnebago. When I took possession, I found out that it didn't have one.

Since the salesman assured us that it had one, he ended up buying one.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Google CUSTOM MATTRESS MAKERS and you'll probably find one in your area that will make a mattress the size you want.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:57 AM   #5

If you have an IKEA store (Furniture store) near by, give them a try. They have some really nice mattresses and are reasonably priced.
weaverworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The only size that will fit, due mainly to the length, is 72"x72". I can't seem to find anything on-line other than the standard size 72"x78". Any ideas where I should look?
What greezykid said. You didn't say where you're located, so I did a Bing search on "custom mattress makers Dallas" and got several hits, including this one:
United & Holland Mattress

They say "We Custom Build Mattresses to fit your bed, budget and schedule." So it sounds like they can make you a good (expensive) mattress, or a cheap one, or anything in between.

If you're not from the Texas area, the "DFW" in their website is short for "Dallas-Fort Worth". But if you're in Yankeeland, or LaLa land of fruits and nuts, or Bill Gates' hometown, the freight to deliver it from Dallas to your home might be high. So that's why you need to search for a custom mattress maker in a city near you.

But check the freight bill before you decide. I usually buy Serta mattresses (including the mattress in my RV) from Sam's Club and they are delivered by freight truck directly from the Serta factory to my home without high freight charges.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #7

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

I found a custom maker about an hour away only to find out he is out of business. Hadn't thought of Ikea or SAMs. I found an online sight called RV MATTRESS CO. that has a 72"x74" for around $350. I think that will work and since I'm looking for cheap it is in the desired price range ( we don't use it much!). I need to check on the shipping though.

I'm in Lake Wylie SC BTW. A few minutes from Charlotte NC.
tboogie0503 is offline   Reply With Quote