Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2014, 05:33 PM   #1

Need advice on getting used hitch

I have just purchased a Big Horn with GVW of 14,000. In addition, I picked up a 2004 F350 dually 2wd with a 6.0 diesel. Came from a dealer, so no way to talk to previous owner about what brand of hitch he used.
The truck already has bed rails installed (I assume from the previous owner towing a 5th wheel). I don't want to go the expense of reinstalling bed rails if I don't have to. I want to buy a used hitch for $200-300 and not spend the money on a new hitch.
So my questions are this? Is a 15-16K hitch enough for this 5er? I'm estimating a generous pin weight of 2800# (20% of the GVW).
How can I tell what kind of 5th hitch sat on these rails, other then driving the vehicle over to the hitch and seeing if it will pin to the rails? Do Reese have a standard Rail distance (the rails are parallel to the tailgate). I've learned enough to know that I should look for a dual pivot to help with hookups.
This 5er will move very little in the next two years as I'm going to full time, so I'm not concerned about the jerking with towing. When I really get ready to hit the road, if I'm unhappy, I'll get a deluxe hitch.
Thanks for any help you can give. Rod
gottular1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #2

In my thinking, bed rails are somewhat generic. I would certainly want to slide under the truck to make sure the under bed brackets the rails are hooked to are okay, and that the bolts are tight, etc. For that size trailer, 20K hitches would be preferable.

I'm in the market for a fifth wheel hitch. If you're going to be hooking up often, one of the premium hitches would be preferred. I've found a number of hitches on CraigsList.com, however few are in "like new" condition.

Fifth wheel hitches are not that expensive if you have the rails. And safety is very important. I'm going to probably go with a new Curt Q series when I install mine.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #3

Bed rails now are Indrusty Standard Rails. Older ones were not. Pictures?

Just get a fifth wheel hitch that fits 'industry standard rails' if those are what you have. It's really not as much of a big deal as you're thinking.

Just buy a hitch that is rated for a little over the GVWR of the trailer. If you find a used Reese 20K, get it. More won't hurt.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice