Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Need advice on Tire Pressure Monitor TPMS

I am thinking of buying a Tire Pressure Monitor System for my truck and 5th wheel. I have searched and have narrowed it down to the following 3 types.

TST 507

Tire Tracker (identical and same as tire minder and hawks Head made by same company)

Tire Safeguard

I am leaning towards the Tire Tracker, But several has told me that the TST is the way to go. The Tire Safeguard is not well know. I would like to hear from users who have any of the 3 listed and your thoughts. I am towing a 35 ft Designer with a ford crew cab. Don't know if I will need an extender or not. what are your thoughts? So far the Tire Tracker and Tire Safeguard are less expensive.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #2

First, good idea to put tire monitors on. Lot of peace of mind and one doesn't have to check pressure each day befoe towing. Just look at monitor. I have had the TST's for over a year and 5,000 miles. Very pleased with them. Had steel valve stems put in for good measure. Have them only on the trailer since that is the unit I would not likely feel if someting going bad. Think I would feel a soft tire on truck. In fact did have a bluge develope on rear truck tire last trip. Felt the vibration immediately. Of course it happend 100 miles from nowhere. Vote for TST
Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #3

I also have been thinking about buying a TPMS. I did a search on irv2 and found a thread about the TST TPMS. It's about 26 pages long. After reading the thread , I'm truly conflicted because there are many that love the TST but there are lots of people who claim to have problems with the sensors and monitor. It great that TST backs-up the product and resolves any issues with defective equipment, but why are there so many problems? If I decide to buy the TST it will be because I recognized many of the user-names in the TST thread and respect those who said good things about the TST.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlcal
I also have been thinking about buying a TPMS. I did a search on irv2 and found a thread about the TST TPMS. It's about 26 pages long. After reading the thread , I'm truly conflicted because there are many that love the TST but there are lots of people who claim to have problems with the sensors and monitor. It great that TST backs-up the product and resolves any issues with defective equipment, but why are there so many problems? If I decide to buy the TST it will be because I recognized many of the user-names in the TST thread and respect those who said good things about the TST.
You make some very good points. The TST TPMS is subject to user install and usual electronic bugs. The difference is their customer support IMHO. Other mfg will experience these same issues but might handle customer service differently.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I am still undecided. The TST 507 with 6 sensors is $359 and the TST 510 with 6 sensors is $299, But the sensors cost $19 each for battery replacement every five uears or less The 507's cost $1 to 2$ for user replaceable batteries. about 9 months to a year costing about $50 for 5 years of batteries against $120 for 5 years of batteies for the 510 But the Tire tracker with user replaceable batteries is only $289 and a 3 year warranty. I have not heard any bad reports on it. BTW the Tire traker, Tire Minder and the Hawks head are the same unit made by the same company with different names.
Mel
Old 05-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Just installed the TST 510 system yesterday. Took about 15 minutes was very easy and all tires registered very quickly. All in all great system. The batteries will only last up to 5 years but I am okay with that. Who knows what coach or technology I will have in 5 years!
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyrice76 View Post
Just installed the TST 510 system yesterday. Took about 15 minutes was very easy and all tires registered very quickly. All in all great system. The batteries will only last up to 5 years but I am okay with that. Who knows what coach or technology I will have in 5 years!
Have same system. I take transmitters off when rig is stored for a month or more. Extends batt life since activaed by air pressure. Great system
Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #8

I also have the TST 510. I thought about the 507 first because of the replaceable battery option. But after talking with the rep on the phone about it- even if I have send them in every 3 years for $19.00 each for new batteries, while they are there they get new seals and get inspected and tested. The way I look at that is when I get them back they are basically "new". I know the seals on the 507s can't last forever (simple thin rubber seals inside). What happens if/when they go bad? Just my opinion and not looking to cause any heartache with 507 owners, they are both great systems. -Glenn
Montana Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My vote goes to the 507.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #10

I have the TST 507. You cannot beat the customer service with this company. They have worked with me very closely on setting up my system.

The new system I have works flawlessly. They even have come out now for the 507 a flow through stem, that will allow you to put air in the tire without removing the sensor. The TST 507 (I did it for eight wheels) may be an expensive investment, but well worth it. The company stands behind their product and if you have any issues at all they will work with you until it is resolved.

I cannot say enough good about them.

Good luck in your choice. I strongly recommend TST.
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Just replaced my TST 510 system with TSTs new 507 system with flow through sensors. Have had great results with both systems. Had the 510 for little over a year. During that year IU removed the sensors monthly to verify tire pressure with my digital pressure gauge, found the TST system to always be within 1 lb of digital gauge.

Only have 2300 miles on the new system but really ilk having the flow through sensors so I can adjust or check tires without having to remove the sensors. Admittedly, its rare that tires need to be adjusted but if they do the new sensors are the way to go.

Additionally, the user replaceable batteries are a plus for me. I figure the battery will always die right before a trip, so sending it in would be inconvenient.

As others have said, I can't say enough good about the customer service provided by Dan and Abby at TST.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #12

After searching TPMS threads on this web site as well as several other RV web sites, I've come to one central conclusion: all TPMS no matter who manufactured it are prone to malfunction. TST, Pressure Pro, Doran, etc. all have monitor and sensor issues. So, why spend $500 to have the same problems as a $250 TPMS. Therefore, IMO, it's most important to know that I will get technical support and replacement parts when needed. I'm going with the TST 507. TST is reasonably priced compared to others and if their customer support is as good as everyone says, then it's a no brainer. This decision is based on hours of reading threads.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
We recently installed a Tire Traker TPMS, and it's excellent. Total price for 6 monitors was $289. Customer service has been very good, even saving me some money overall.

TireTraker TPMS
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We've had the TST 507 on the trailer now for about a year. Bought six more sensors for the truck at last September's iRV2 National Rally in VA. With one very minor problem the system has thus far been troublefree. Don't know if TST will be represented at this year's rally, but if they're there and you're there, check to see if they have rally pricing.

As to the OP's question about needing a repeater, I don't think one is necessary for his application. In fact, one of my trailer sensors can be picked up by the base unit when it's located 200 ft away with a house in between.