Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #1

Need assistance with my Triple E Topaz wiring!

We have a 2007 Triple E Topaz 30.5 RL 5th wheel. The 7 pin cord is old and the contacts on the plug are getting loose it needs replacing. For the life of me I can't find where they connect the 7 pin cord to the trailer wiring.
The cord goes up into the pin box and disappears and I can't find where it goes into the basement. I have looked under the bed and in the front compartments and I can't find it. Can anyone help?
ywgbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2018, 11:11 PM   #2

Unless you've had the plug replaced multiple times, it's easier to cut the 7-pin plug off and wrie a new one. You'll lose maybe an inch at most of cord length. If the plug is easily dismantled and the wire connections are still good, you could luck out with no loss in length.
AKFlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #3

I would just remove the plug and connect a new one to the existing wire. I would not bother finding the other end.
If in doubt where things go cut off the end of the wire and inch and then use the one plug as a pattern. It should just have 2 screws. Unless I'm thinking of the truck plug. I can't look at mine to confirm.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:36 AM   #4

Almost all drop cords and plugs have a box inside the rv close to the pin box. In my case its actually mounted under the bottom of the 5th wheel nose. In my case you need to actually pull down that piece of material to expose the box.

But I agree, if the cable is not damaged I'd just remove a couple of inches of the old cable and install a new end..
Old 06-24-2018, 01:56 AM   #5

Found it!

The connections were under the bed platform. I was able to solder in a new cord and I can find no issues with the rest of the wiring. I have 13 volts at the 7 spade outlet in the box of my truck, but I'm still only getting 9.5 volts to the brakes. I even cleaned the ground lugs and soldered new ends onto the ground wires. Is 9.5 volts normal at the brakes?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:22 PM   #6

Why not jack up a wheel, spin it and try the brakes. Should stop the wheel easily. Or try towing with the e-pin pulled to lock the brakes.
Where are you checking for the voltage? Amps is better check of brakes being applied.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:56 PM   #7

I eliminated all the poor quality crimp connections and replaced them all with soldered connections. Now I'm getting 10.9 volts and 13.1 amps at the brakes. The other issue was the cheap self adjusting brakes I bought from e-trailer were faulty and were not self adjusting. They were assembled wrong. I sent them back and bought the Dexter 12" X 2" self adjusting brakes and they are now working 100%. All new bearings, seals and brakes and she's like brand new again.
Thanks to all for the replies!

Tags
wiring