Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

Need Help Deciding on Full Time 5th Wheel

Hello everyone,
My name is Sam and I am looking at purchasing my first 5th wheel. I am finishing up my schooling to become a jewelry appraiser and it appears as though I will be traveling between stores in 5 or 6 states and spending a few days a month in each location. Rather than constantly flying and shipping my equipment, I am considering living in a 5th wheel. My budget is about $100,000 with some flexibility for the right unit. I am considering a redwood, a riverstone legacy, a jayco Pinnacle, or perhaps a used Luxe gold if I can find one. I'm curious which of these you prefer, and whether or not you have a better option you'd like to recommend. Thank you for your input. I'm very new to this world, and don't want to make a poor decision. I've got about a year to make my decisions.
MediocreSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 09:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreSam View Post
Hello everyone,
My name is Sam and I am looking at purchasing my first 5th wheel. I am finishing up my schooling to become a jewelry appraiser and it appears as though I will be traveling between stores in 5 or 6 states and spending a few days a month in each location. Rather than constantly flying and shipping my equipment, I am considering living in a 5th wheel. My budget is about $100,000 with some flexibility for the right unit. I am considering a redwood, a riverstone legacy, a jayco Pinnacle, or perhaps a used Luxe gold if I can find one. I'm curious which of these you prefer, and whether or not you have a better option you'd like to recommend. Thank you for your input. I'm very new to this world, and don't want to make a poor decision. I've got about a year to make my decisions.
Dependent of course on the model, some of the brands you’re considering will be on the heavy side. Maybe devote a couple months to tow vehicle research because a mistake there can be quite limiting or expensive. Also if you’re going to be racking up lots of miles, I’d recommend a trailer with independent suspension. I promise that you won’t regret this if you ‘spring’ for it.

You’re smart for giving yourself a year to conduct research. Don’t forget to look through the brand specific forums too and maybe take in an RV show if you can. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2019, 10:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R. View Post
Dependent of course on the model, some of the brands you’re considering will be on the heavy side. Maybe devote a couple months to tow vehicle research because a mistake there can be quite limiting or expensive. Also if you’re going to be racking up lots of miles, I’d recommend a trailer with independent suspension. I promise that you won’t regret this if you ‘spring’ for it.

You’re smart for giving yourself a year to conduct research. Don’t forget to look through the brand specific forums too and maybe take in an RV show if you can. Good luck!
Thanks! I'm probably looking at a used f450 drw or something equivalent. The fact that my trips will be tax deductible business miles makes the cost of such a vehicle a bit more tolerable lol. I'm also definitely interested in attending an RV show and even just a few dealerships. I need to get as much information and experience as possible before trying this.
MediocreSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #4

A used Luxe would make a good home. Also towed with a 2017 or newer F-450 would also be a good match [emoji106].

Now, getting thru winter will depend on which 6 states you will be in. Hope the southern tier of states and not the northern tier. I would not want to tow on snowy and just as bad salt covered roads. A 5th wheel will not resist rust very well.

You will want dual pane windows and other all season options you can get as at night in January and February it gets cold at just about everywhere in the country.

You might what to add an Artic Fox 5th wheel to your list for the better winter time insulation. Good insulation also is good in the heat of the summer too.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #5

Hi Sam, I'd recommend you find and purchase your TV first. Your camper choice will be limited by your TV. You aren't just looking at a place to stay, you are looking at a lifestyle. It may not be for you. You state you will look for a used TV, why not look for a good used camper as well. That way if it's not for you, you can bail without as much of a financial hit. When you go to the shows or even dealer lots, it's really easy to get overwhelmed with all the bling and glam. Kinda like flashy jewelry. But the really important part is the foundation. You want solid gold, not gold plated. You are spending time learning your profession, you need to plan on spending an equal amount of time learning the RV lifestyle. These things aren't like houses, very few end up with their forever RV right out of the box. Be smart, buy used to start.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I recommend that you decide on the trailer first and THEN select a truck that has the ratings to pull the trailer. If you get the truck first, and find you do not have enough truck, you are limited to the trailer size then.

But foremost is make sure that the trailer full time rated and four season rated by the manufacturer. Many RV manufactures exclude full time use from the warranty....read the warranty and do not believe the salesman.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #7

Arctic fox should be #1 on your list.You may have travel some to see one.suggest ; find out if the factory in Oregon gives tours.This is a true four season unit.
kenautoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:49 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum. I'm a great believer in buying used. Check consignment lots. You never know what will show up. And the bigger you go the bigger the truck you need and the harder it is to find room to park. We have been full time for nearly 10 years now in our 35' HitchHiker with up to 3 dogs and we have plenty of room. I definitely recommend choosing a 5er before choosing a truck because doing it the other way limits the rig you can tow. Remember towing is not the most important thing. Stopping is the most important thing. And don't believe the salesman about what you can tow with your truck. They are mainly out for a sale and don't usually RV them selves.
It is a little early to start telling you the accessories you want BUT if you are living in it full time you will definitely want to seriously consider a stack able washer and dryer. Ours runs everyday. My wife says having 2 dogs and a husband is like having 3 toddlers. And when someone says that they do not have enough room for a W/D because they need that space for storage she will look them in the eye and tell them 'If you need that space for storage you have to much crap'.
Have fun with your research.
Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #9

There is a used Luxe on ppl motorhomes consignment page , saw it yesterday
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:49 PM   #10

for 100k + truck. Theres a used continental 5th wheel by forks rv with matching 550 on RVT.com that would end truck and trailer search. that forks RV is a beast and will handle any weather anywhere. lots of storage capacity to handle any and all gear you have. a link below to look at. im sure many will agree what a 5ver.

https://www.rvt.com/ForksRV-Continen...63073-UX216880
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #11

Forks RV competes with the best of the best. Probably a tiny bit better than New Horizon and competes well with SpaceCraft RV.

Luxe competes with DRV Mobile and Elite Suits which is a step down from Forks, New Horizons and SpaceCraft 5th wheels.

These are the tippy top of the 5th wheel world.

Opens up an interesting option. For example I would buy a used Forks, New Horizons or a small SpaceCraft (I say small SpaceCraft because they build 57' 5th wheels).

I think you can buy a used New Horizons 5th wheel for 100k.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, full time, need help