Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #15

Lots of good advice here, but can be confusing. Tough when just learning. My opinion, step 1, read up and learn the difference between an RV/Marine battery and a true deep cycle battery - - they are not the same animal. The RV battery cannot take the abuse of dry camping and will fail quite quickly. The deep cycle (commonly called Golf Cart batteries) will allow deeper discharge without damage and will take it many more times than the RV battery. I just replaced my Trojans and they were 7 years old - - we dry camp a lot. Solar is great if you can afford and wish to sit in one spot for a while. If you do not sit still long, I highly recommend going with a good sine wave inverter wired in to your system. I have the Prosine 2000w inverter with "very" smart charger. We can run about 2 days on one charge using propane for all heat, refrig and hot water. Mama has to use her curler every day, couple pots of coffee, minor use of the micro, TV, lights, recharge of computer/cell phones. Then, fire up and let the smart charger hit the batteries with as high current that will not damage or overheat them because it is programmed for "my" batteries and monitors temp at charging.

If you decide to wire it in and have some knowledge of electricity, holler at me and I will email you my installation. Good luck,
Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandKinaMoho View Post
2000W Inverter. 4 6vollt batteries. Solar panels . Google all things about connecting . BOBS page on solar is a good one. If you are handy the process is very easy.
Just a couple of things to get u on the right trac....
We have the same as above except the solar panels. Have to run the genset anyway so they wouldn't help us much.

Our Interstate U-2200's (6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries) went one month under 9 years of use and even then were OK. Just was headed out for a trip and didn't want trouble on the road.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have done it with 4 Six Volt Golf car battery equivlent and a 2,000 watt inverter.

Here is how to do it using your honda.

First, I think your honda has a duplex outlet, You can get a device called a POWER MAXIMIZER, it's a solid plastic blocks, two 15 amp plugs perfectly aligned to fit in a duplex outlet and a 30 amp outlet.. Then adapt up from there to 50.

You will not be able to run Water heater or air conditioner with the single honda (but if you get a Honda Companion and parallel the two with the kit, the lower cost one, You are in great shape).

Soon as you can start the generator do so, It will charge your batteries, during the day, Shut down when batteries full, at least 4 hours before quiet time crank her up again and re-fill. They should last all night running the furnace and control hardware.

In fact, with 2 pair of six volt they should outlast the night. unless you put in that inverter.

Regarding the inverter.. Use a TRUE SINE WAVE please, your electronics will thank you by working properly.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think of your battery (s) as fuel tank. No matter how powerful your generator charger or solar panels are, when the sun goes down and you turn off your generator off the most fuel you can possibly have is in your batter tank. If your batteries are completely full (charged), when the sun goes down and generators are off and they go empty or dead before morning, the first thing you need is a bigger battery tank.
I have no problems with 2 6 volt batteries but I don't run microwaves, electric heaters, or any other power hogs to try to drain the tank before I depend on them to run my furnace all night.
If you really have to have all that high power demanding appliances and you don't want to run your generator until you turn them off, you need a minimum of 4 6volt batteries and make sure they;re tank is full before turning the genny off.
No science, just my opinion based on my experience.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote