Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Need help with weight ratings.

I am thinking about selling our Class A and getting a small fifth wheel to tow behind my 1/2 ton pickup truck. I am getting a lot of confusing answers from RV sales persons as to how much my truck can tow safely. I have a 2007 Chevy extended cab 4WD, with a 5-3 L engine with a 3-73 gear ratio. My owners manual says I have a maximum trailer weight of 7,500 lbs. and a GCWR of 13,000 lbs. I am looking at a Jayco Eagle HT 26;5 with around a 7,200 dry weight. I was told by an RV sales person that because the weight of the fifth wheel is directly over the axil I could increase the maximum tailer weight to 8,500. I would hate to buy something and find that my current truck would not be suitable for towing this unti. Any help would be appreciated. John
jadtif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Your loaded pin weight and loaded payload capacity will be your limiting factors along with rear axle and tire capacity. Make sure you clearly understand all of this. A 1/2 ton would be unlikely to provide the carrying capacity. Beware....the salesman will tell you anything to make the sale.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
This is a heavily debated topic on the forum. Posters who overload their rigs label those who use the specifications to determine the correct matchup.

Load the truck with full fuel, the family as you plan to travel, grill, extra propane tank, golf clubs and anything else you will carry. You will need a total weight and the weight on the front and back axles.

There are three weights to watch.

GCVW - take the total weight of the GVW of the trailer plus the loaded weight of the truck loaded as you will be using it. Full fuel, passengers, grill and anything else you will carry in the truck plus 100 lbs for the hitch. If it is over the GCVW of the truck you need a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.

GVWR - Take 25% of the GVWR of the trailer. Add 100 lbs for the 5 wheel hitch, plus the weight of the loaded truck. If it exceeds the GVWR of the truck (noted on the sticker on the door post) you need a bigger truck or smaller trailer.

GAWR (rear) Take 25% of the GVWR of the trailer. Add 100 lbs for the 5 wheel hitch plus the weight of the rear axle of the truck. If this is over the GAWR (rear) you need a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.

The question is not "Can my truck tow this trailer?" but "Should my truck haul this trailer".

IMO safety is the most important thing. The safety of you, your family and folks on the road around you is not guaranteed by remaining within the truck specifications but gives you a better chance.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadtif View Post
I was told by an RV sales person that because the weight of the fifth wheel is directly over the axil I could increase the maximum tailer weight to 8,500.
Hi John,

No matter what the dealer says, you cannot go over your factory weight ratings. I googled the 2007 chevy towing guide and it matches up with your owner's manual. If you are looking at a 7,500lb trailer, that only gives you 300lbs for stuff. Think about everything you will be carrying.. By the time you put clothes, chocks, food, water/sewer hoses, linens and dishes in the unit, you will already be over your limit.

I am not trying to preach to you, I just want you to be aware of your truck's limitations. If you were able to step-up to a 2007 2500 series, your max trailer weight would be increased to 13,400lbs.. Huge difference..

BTW: Never trust a RV dealer... Do the research for yourself..
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:38 AM   #5

OP, you don't mention the GVW of the truck which should be on the B pillar drivers side. Once you know that you need to weigh the fully fueled truck with family and stuff also figure 200# for the fifthwheel hitch. Subtract that from the GVW. You then can figure if your truck can handle the pin weight of the fiver. I doubt it will. And I'm sure you will be over your GCVW.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the helpful input. I can see that my truck is not suitable for towing this size fifth wheel. I see Rockwood makes a small one at around 6600 lbs. My fears are it may be too small for the two of us. I know there are some travel trailers out there that are lighter but didn't really want to get go that route. Your input has helped me with my concerns. John
jadtif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, weight