Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #1

Need help with why my Pro Guard Liquid Roof is turning blue and coming off camper

Can anyone explain why my roof turned out like this? I am trying to attach a pic. Short story...in April 2014 I cleaned my EPDM roof with a ratio of bleach and water. Roof looked great but it is a 2003 38' Montana. I painted on one coat of Pro Guard Liquid Roof.
Returned 11-1-14 roof had mildew so washed and was not really happy with how it cleaned up.
4-2015 ordered more Liquid Roof and painted. Roof has been cleaned proper since this period.Roof has been fine and cleaned up well until we came back in Nov 2016. Second coat of LR has turned light blue in color. On the rounded over edges the 2nd coat is soft and sliding off. It is not just a few places on the roof failing, but the entire second coat is coming off. I can see that the first coat is staying in place and still white. My roof looks like some people have stated when you paint LR on a Alpha roof without applying a primer. I called Keystone and they told me no Alpha roof was put on Keystones till sometime after 2013. My camper has the original roof. I bought it from original owner who I have known all my life.I have attached a small pic that I hope uploads. Has anyone seen or heard of this type problem??
Thanks
Johnny
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #2

Just saw that to insert pic it need to be at a url address. Is there a site you guys upload to and then write the file path here to attach? Someone please walk me through it.
Thanks
Johnny
Old 03-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #3

Never mind...Sorry..Did a search and getting help...
Old 03-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #4

Hope this works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JJ Roof.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	153603  
Old 03-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #5

Entire Roof is failing, but no leaks as yet. Hope you guys have some suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JJ Roof2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	153604  
Old 03-02-2017, 04:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnso View Post
Entire Roof is failing, but no leaks as yet. Hope you guys have some suggestions
Wow! Never seen anything like that. Hope you get it figured out. Good luck

2017 F 350, Bronze Fire, King Ranch Ulitmate
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic204267_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Wolffox00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:04 PM   #7

Dang it man....I cant believe almost 200 members have viewed this post with no replies to try to help me.
Thanks
JJ
Old 03-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #8

Just viewed too, but don't have any answers or ideas. I would go in and talk with the guys in parts/service at your local dealer (a trusted dealer) and see if they have ever seen this happening. They may have some information/history to share. Good luck. Would love to read future updates as you get it figured out.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #9

The solution is to replace the roof or sell the trailer if that is better for you. Of course the new owner will deduct the price for having a new roof installed.
The old roof is shot and the sooner you replace it the better. You could have one of the newer roof coatings applied that are supposed to last forever. With a roof in that condition I don't know if anyone would apply a new coating over it.
Rubber roofs have a limited life and you are past it.
If you do it yourself you will save a bundle.
Good luck.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #10

Yes it would be nice to determine how and why this failure occurred. Asking the guy at the service counter why, will be a fruitless time spent.
The real issue is making the problem go away. I'm +2 at replacement. Your not going to remove the last coat ,maybe the loose stuff but not the places where good adhesion is. If the OP is a DIY guy he'll save a lot of dollars . Although it's Monday morning quarterbacking but the best approach would have been a new roof in the beginning. That's easy to say but many of us have done the easiest method to avoid the hard way out. I really feel bad for the OP, the solution sucks and will be expensive. I've seen several u-tubes of people replacing entire rv roofs, if you clear your head and take slow but sure steps it's an easy task with good help. MHO

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:18 PM   #11

Yep. A rubber roof replacement is the best fix and can be done as a DIY if you are handy. I have two local dealers that have fantastic folks working in their service and parts department. 1 with over 30 years of experience that is great with information and helping. They have offered great information freely, but they also know me from being a loyal customer.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #12

I did contact the manf. At the risk of breaking forum rules I will give some basic facts of what was said. When I called the manf. I asked for tech help. The man said they were out to lunch and he would be glad to help. I told him that I had applied two coats and after about 18 months the last coat turned light blue in places and turned to like a putty in most places. I told him the first coat was fine where I could see it. I was told that in 2015 they had gotten in a bad batch of raw material and several people had called in with the exact same problems. He said it takes a year or so to turn bad. He said he would have the owner call me and expected him to help me like the others. When the call came it was from the customer service manager. In my panic I started explaining how well the camper had been taken of and I had known the original owner. I told her he had the roof washed once a year and a sealer/treatment applied. She stated that you cant put a sealer on the roof and then put on LR. I tried to explain that that was not the case and it had been over 6 months since the treatment had been applied.Then came the first coat of LR. In my confusion and panic I did not realize that she was building a case to Deni my claim. I told her I talked to Sam and he said other people had the same problem. She said "oh he just works in shipping and does not know what he is talking about". I was told to send pics and fill out the online claim form. I did that and sent about 20 pics. I was asked for a lot/batch number off the cans. I said who would keep empty cans of 18 months. Well I got a email in a few days saying the I had used a product that was not from the manf and it was my fault. She went on to say I could not provide lot numbers. I sent her receipts where I had bought LR in 2014 and 2015. I told her I had bought an extra gallon in 2015 to put on the slides but never did. I sent her a pic of the unopened can with shipping ring still in place and a full bottle of catalyst, as well as a pic of lot number. She never addressed the lot number even after I emailed about it. She emailed me that there was a difference about what I said on the phone and what I had emailed had happen.( the treatment) I sent her receipts with dates on when the treatment had been applied and after 6 months it had evaporated.(long before I had the LR painted on) I sent a pic and link to the product showing where it stated on the bottle it was compatible with all EPDM roofs. (the camper repair shop gave me what was left over of the treatment) Here's the Kicker, I got online and found a map showing distributors and reps. I called what appears to be their most valued field rep. He understood exactly what I was talking about and they should work with me on this. He called them on my behalf and was put on speaker phone with her and the owner. He told them it was bad product and they shut him down and and he was told stay out of it. This is a manf issue and not his. I was shocked that they would not at least try to work with me, maybe offer a discount or something. So in conclusion if you ever have to deal with a customer service make sure you are not in a panic and write down your facts before talking. Before I bought LR I did a lot of research and never read any complaints about the product. I have not had anymore emails from them and have given up on any help. This was a very valuable lesson learned. I believe that Liquid Roof is a great product, I just got a bad batch. Please understand this is not a rant. It is just a lesson learned I want to share so other members dont make mistakes when calling customer service with any company.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #13

I am sure the CS manager was thinking about a $4000+ repair if they accepted responsibility.
Also, using these kinds of sealers/coatings are best left to the people that sell them so the responsibility will lie with them if things go wrong. I have dabbled in using some of them and unfortunately, the marketing of the sealers sometimes overcomes the reality of the difficulty of application for long-term results. And yes, mentioning the previous sealer application was a red flag to them--and may well be the reason for the bubbling, even with the 6 month period before the ProGuard application.
Sorry about your situation, but sounds like its time to get a real roof put on by pros. Perhaps there might be some comprehensive claim recovery from your insurance company?
And thank you for putting forth your story, it may well help someone thinking about using a liquid roof product.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #14

People....what part dont you understand...??? The shipping employee told me they had a bad batch of raw material that caused the same problem with other customers. It had nothing to do with the roof treatment!! I guess he was fired because he let the cat out of the bag. I'm done here!!

Tags
need help, roof