Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2023, 08:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Need Some advice regarding cold weather

We are parked in Spring Branch , Texas until May, in our Open Range Fifth-Wheel. We need to make a trip to help family for 8 days. There may be some freezing nights , mostly 35° , but I dont always trust the reports. We are in the Hill country , North if San Antonio. How do we prepare our RV to leave it when it may freeze??
CactusCampin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2023, 09:17 AM   #2

Are the low's just going to be in the freezing range for a few hours per day or sustained freezing?

If the temps are just dipping into freezing for a few hours and then back to 40+ during the day, you should have nothing to worry about. An example I like to give is to take a gallon jug of water and leave it outside during those same temp ranges. If it does not freeze while unprotected, neither will your protected plumbing.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:40 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusCampin' View Post
We are parked in Spring Branch , Texas until May, in our Open Range Fifth-Wheel. We need to make a trip to help family for 8 days. There may be some freezing nights , mostly 35° , but I dont always trust the reports. We are in the Hill country , North if San Antonio. How do we prepare our RV to leave it when it may freeze??
You should be okay at those temps. but why take a chance. Precaution for me would be, drain the lines and I would add RV anti-freeze. But that is me. It would be cheaper to take precautions than do repairs.
But as I said, that is me. I error on the side of caution.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
You should be okay at those temps. but why take a chance. Precaution for me would be, drain the lines and I would add RV anti-freeze. But that is me. It would be cheaper to take precautions than do repairs.
But as I said, that is me. I error on the side of caution.
I agree with Hamm but if you do not go that far at a minimum I would open the low point drains and all faucets .
nomad bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:32 PM   #5

running rv antifreeze is super easy and fairly cheap. drain the hot water tank, put it in bypass, and run antifreeze to all the fixtures through the pump. shouldnt take but 5 minutes, and dont forget the outside shower if equipped.
john1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:03 PM   #6

I would dump RV antifreeze in the traps and forget about it. That is unless you expect a 'hard' freeze. Sounds like will not have a hard freeze. If so, you have to winterize.

It can actually get down to 26 degrees for 4 hours and that will not freeze water to rock solid.

It is rock solid water that you need worry about.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Drain everything and blow out any remaining water. Don't forget the outside shower, ice maker and washing machine. Then dump a cup of pink RV antifreeze down each P trap, and then you won't have to worry about freezing.

It may take 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour, but much quicker than repairing anything that could break from freezing. If there's anything that's not guaranteed, it's the weather.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:02 PM   #8

We just made our trip south for the rest of the winter.

I wanted cold water but none got packed.

When we stopped for the night, about 8:30 it was 30°F out. I decided to put one of the 1 gallon jugs we have on the flat bed deck of the truck so it would be cold in the morning.

We got up around 7 am to start out day. It was 23°F when we woke up. There has been some mild wind all night and a few gusts that gave us a shake.

My water was nice and cold, but not even icing in the cap.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice