Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #1

Need Suggestions for Wet Climate Roof protection

Hello Forum,

Have a question.

I will be setting up my unit for about 9 months of full timing in the beautiful state of WA.

The park I am going to be staying at will have a canopy of pine trees with very small pine cones. About the size of walnuts. While my site has a great overhead clearing, there are no limbs that protrude directly over the 5th Wheel.

My question is given the weather in the Puget sound and I will be on one of the islands in the Peninsula, there will be cloudy days and rainy days and sunny days as the summer comes on with a turn into the best weather months of Aug and Sep.

Any tips on roof care given the fact I will be in a damp location and have many small pine cones that I am sure will find there way onto the roof?

I have already coated the roof back in DRY sunny CA before arriving with Heng's white rubber roof coating as I have a rubber roof.

Just wondering if they made any kind of light weight roof shield that may sit atop the rig to help with debris and the such?

If anyone would know the folks in here would.

Open to any tips or suggestions to keeping the roof in good condition in a wetter climate with more cloudy days than sunny. The attached picture shows what the roof looks like now. I am sure when I pull out of here at the end of my stay it may not look as nice as it does now?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07513.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	21278  
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #2

Just make sure you have no leaks, the EPDM material will be fine. Other than a portable RV shelter you have few options for a roof over your 5er. These shelters are made with a tarp covering or a metal covering that comes down about 2' on the sides, but I doubt either will work with extended slides without modification.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:45 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We live in WA, our MH is stored under fir trees beside the house and our roof looks great after 10 years there. Yes, I have washed it once a year but that's it. I could get it a little cleaner if I scrubbed. We have a BriteTek roof and I have used 303 on it a couple times over the years.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Nice roof! Small pine cones and other debris won't hurt. When it's all dried out, it comes off easily. I've spent many winters in Oregon, but I have to admit my roof no longer shines. Sounds like a great stay in Washington
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Arrived on the Oregon Coast November 2 last year and have been here since with the exception of April 23 - May 14 which were spent near Centralia, WA. We have weathered some BIG winds and LOTS of rain. Our roof may not be super clean, but it is free from leaks. DH cleans & uses Mop & Glow once a year. You should be fine.
What a super location to spend 9 months. It might surprise you and not be very rainy.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We live in WA, our MH is stored under fir trees beside the house and our roof looks great after 10 years there. Yes, I have washed it once a year but that's it. I could get it a little cleaner if I scrubbed. We have a BriteTek roof and I have used 303 on it a couple times over the years.
That is very good news. Thanks so much for letting me know I should not have issues.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #7

Thanks so much all for your replies. Mop & Glow... would have never guessed. Does that repel water? That will not hurt the rubber roof right?

Very interesting.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
Thanks so much all for your replies. Mop & Glow... would have never guessed. Does that repel water? That will not hurt the rubber roof right?

Very interesting.
Hmmmm, don't know about a rubber roof, we have fiberglass.

Sorry, should have read your description better. Hopefully someone will provide an answer for rubber roofs.
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #9

If any product lists "petroleum distillates" on the labeling, do not use it on EPDM "rubber" roofs!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #10

It would be a good idea to get up on the roof once a month and blast the gutters out with a hose to ensure good drainage. This will also help keep the sides cleaner.
2012 Chevy Silverado 1 ton, LTZ, Standard bed, Crew, 6.0 Gasser, 4:10 gears
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #11

Thank you will do. Good point on keeping the small gutters clear.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
Arrived on the Oregon Coast November 2 last year and have been here since with the exception of April 23 - May 14 which were spent near Centralia, WA. We have weathered some BIG winds and LOTS of rain. Our roof may not be super clean, but it is free from leaks. DH cleans & uses Mop & Glow once a year. You should be fine.
What a super location to spend 9 months. It might surprise you and not be very rainy.
Frantz - while on the Ore coast, has the salt air caused any problems with you rig ? We were on the coast highway(101) for seven weeks. Noticed some small rust spots on the wheel caps of trailer.
Ray
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrray View Post
Frantz - while on the Ore coast, has the salt air caused any problems with you rig ? We were on the coast highway(101) for seven weeks. Noticed some small rust spots on the wheel caps of trailer.
Ray
Salt air will cause problems whether in WA or FL.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I first read the subject of this thread my first thought was "What is what the ROOF is for, protecting from wet weather".

After reading the details.. No change.

I would, check it over well (Sounds like you have done this)

And when you are ready to pack up and hit the road, Sweep it off.

Then when you get back home check it again and if indicated grab the mop, bucket, spic & Span and garden hose and mop it down.

That's how I do mine.. Just like a kitchen floor for the most part.

Tags
roof