Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Smile Negotiating on a NEW 2015

Hi all, one of our local dealers has a NEW 2015 fifth wheel on the lot. Since the 2017s will be out soon, how much do you think we should be able to knock off their list price since it is last year's model? It's a Montana High Country if that makes a difference. Also, any fifth wheel manufacturers or models we should stay away from?
WannabeRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
We bought a TT that was like that several years ago and got quite a deal. It was listed on either eBay or RVTrader, and we were able to get it for way less than they were asking for (which was about 25% below list). Dealers just don't want to keep that old stuff around.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #3

About how much below their list price did you purchase it (percentage or dollars, either is fine).
Old 03-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
That was about eight or nine years back. I think it was about 40% of list.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

THank you Other models in the running would be grand reflections, a couple of different price points on those. Do they hold up well?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
That was about eight or nine years back. I think it was about 40% of list.

40% off list for 2 model years old is probably pretty fair. Just make sure that the "list price" that they are discounting from is the MANUFACTURER's list price, and NOT some arbitrary figure that they made up so they can say that the price is "40% off of List Price"!

Bottom line, make an offer, they can say YES, NO, or counteroffer. And then go from there. Make it clear that all you need is a yes or no, you don't care about their "reasons" that they can't accept that price!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Designs and Keystone (Montana) are perhaps different companies - at least in terms of how they service their end customers. One company is huge and doesn't do consumer support. The other is smaller, newer, and is trying to make a name.

There is a Montana Owners Group - you might be able to get specific pricing info there. They allow membership of people considering a purchase.

I'd think that you could get a good deal on a 2015 Montana... Check your local dealer's reputation for SERVICE (not just sales) as that's going to be important regardless of what you buy.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeRV View Post
THank you Other models in the running would be grand reflections, a couple of different price points on those. Do they hold up well?
Grand Design has a good reputation for customer service. As in all of the brands, you can have problems, often with the appliances supplied to them and sometimes with the build quality. Grand Design steps up and backs their products, even if the dealer doesn't. So you need to know the reputation of the dealer too.
We've looked longingly at Grand Design, both Reflection and Solitude, but the dealer for our Keystone Cougar has been great and doesn't carry Grand Design. Found out they have picked up Jayco, looked at the Jayco Eagle line and found a model that closely matches the Reflection we like, so who knows.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just remember you ate negotiating on a two year old unit. What are similar units going for on the used market. Also, why do they still have it, is it a bad floor plan? Don't compromise for a unit that is not perfect based on price.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:06 PM   #10

It's the only 2015 left on the lot. It's a bunkhouse unit, and we have 2 kids, so that is really appealing to us. The Grand Design unit has a bunkhouse too, but no second half bath for the kids, and it has an upper bunk then a fold out couch below. This particular dealer has an A+ rating from the BBB. There is just more living space in the Montana, more storage below. A few more bells and whistles. An outdoor kitchen as well. Is Keystone a company I should avoid? Montana seems to be a popular brand. I liked the Grand Design, don't get me wrong. The finishes were nice. It was just smaller, and our kids are 6 and 9 years old. I feel as if in a year or two it will feel even more cramped. It sounds silly, but our 6 year old eats more than a lot of adults I know, and the Montana has a bigger fridge, residential sized microwave. I am not sure if the Grand Design has a washer dryer hookup, I will need to check. Does anyone reading this thread own (or has owned in the past) a Montana and can share personal experiences as far as problems/resolution, customer satisfaction, etc? Hubs loves the Grand Design. It does feel luxurious, but like I said, afraid we may grow out of it soon. Towing weights are vastly different too.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeRV View Post
It's the only 2015 left on the lot. It's a bunkhouse unit, and we have 2 kids, so that is really appealing to us. The Grand Design unit has a bunkhouse too, but no second half bath for the kids, and it has an upper bunk then a fold out couch below. This particular dealer has an A+ rating from the BBB.
A+ rating . . .
Yep, bought and paid for. If they pay more, their rating goes up. Businesses support the BBB, not customers. Not saying that any company the BBB is bad, just that the BBB is a really poor way of grading a companies responsiveness to customers. You would do better to access Yelp or Angies List than the BBB in my opinion . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #12

We bought our 15 Solitude a few weeks ago. It's MSRP was roughly 90,500. We did zero negotiating. The dealer offered us a price that was roughly 38% off. I talked to a few other dealers that wouldn't even touch the price.

We really like the dealer, and the support from Grand Design has been outstanding! Rather than going back to the dealer with our minor issues, I called GD. In three days, I had a replacement fireplace, a piece of trim, a hand full of LED Bulbs, a light fixture, a snap and snap strap for the den door, as well as a handful of self tapping screws. All of this would have taken a minimum of two to three weeks via the dealer.

We LOVE our Solitude. We looked at the Reflection, found one we liked, however most dealers wanted more for them than we paid for our Solitude. Same with Open Range's Roamer 376FBH.

The key to 15's is that dealers are paying interest on them. They're not "Free" anymore. They'll do most anything to get them off the lot.

Find what you want, then find a price you're willing to pay for it. We had our top pick (365DEN), and then our second/third (OR 376FBH, Reflection 30BH). Once you have your list, make it happen. We got lucky, a dealer around an hour from us had our Solitude. They also came in 10k less than anyone else on the 30BH..
Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #13

They have a Solitude in stock (2016) floor plan is 377MB-R. I LOVED IT. However not sure if hubs will go for the length or the price. The Reflection 30BH is in stock and he loves it. I feel it is a tad too short for us to be comfortable and that we would need to upgrade in a couple of years or not sooner. I know he is worried about the challenge of towing the bigger ones. However the dealer has 2 models due in the first of April with bunkhouses, both are Reflections, the 357BHS and the 367BHS. I could live with either of those too! But 38 percent off a Solitude? Wow! These are 2016 models on the Grand Design so not sure we could get that much off. We still have to buy a truck as well, but we are waiting until we pick out our 5th wheel before we purchase a truck. We want to make sure we have more than enough truck to tow our fifth wheel.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #14

I think at this point, we are leaning towards Grand Design. Hubs said he had done some research on Keystone, and after what he read he was leaning towards Grand Design. Y'all cross your fingers I can talk him into a slightly larger bunkhouse floorplan, please and thank you! Although it will be hard to wait until April for those other models! I was hoping we could be all done before spring break at the end of this month.