Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
IC2

Never Fail spring bushings

I haven't had the best of luck with the usual Dexter/MORryde wet bolt kits with the bushings wearing almost as fast as the original nylon bushings - even with copious amounts of grease. One OEM set and 2 sets of wet bushings in 22K miles just doesn't make me happy.

Etrailer and others are starting to advertise the Lippert Never Fail bushings heavily rather then the previously mentioned products. With that said, is there any GOOD history on these bushings as far as wear?

Has anyone combined the heavy, greasable Dexter/MORryde shackles with the Lippert bushings and maybe a bit of 'overkill'? I have this wet bolt project staring at me again this spring, one way or another
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

I had Mor Ryde replace my plastic bushing with bronze and wet bolts. After a cross country trip, they were completely worn out. I too am looking at the LIppert Never Fail bushings.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Afraid I don't understand why you two have had problems. I installed MorRyde wet bolts four years back and have about 35k miles on them. The nylon ones were totally worn out when I did and the previous owner hadn't moved the thing but about 5k miles. A rear brass one has been difficult to get grease in but that one and the others are still fine. This on a 15.5k max gross trailer that I'm fairly certain we've overloaded more than once.

I looked up the Lippert bushings here: https://store.lci1.com/never-fail-bushings They CLAIM there's no 'maintenance' and they don't need lubrication. If (and I really, really mean 'IF') that's true, I'll replace my bronze ones in a heart beat! No more annual greasing!!
Old 12-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #4

I'm not sure why they wore out, but they did. After much back and forth, MorRyde did send me a new set of bushings, but once burned, twice shy. Glad you have had good lich with yours. BTW, if you see rapid tire wear on one tire on a tandem axle trailer, suspect worn bushings. I had a tire go from new to bad in 600 miles due to worn plastic bushings. New trailer. No help from winnebago, said the bushings were a 'wear' item.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #5

How do you know the bushings are worn?

Do you have to take them apart and look at them or is there another way?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #6

Other than rapid tire wear, you gotta get down and dirty. I would suggest replacing your spring bushings now, no matter what the age of your TT or 5ver. The plastic ones are junk.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
Afraid I don't understand why you two have had problems. I installed MorRyde wet bolts four years back and have about 35k miles on them. The nylon ones were totally worn out when I did and the previous owner hadn't moved the thing but about 5k miles. A rear brass one has been difficult to get grease in but that one and the others are still fine. This on a 15.5k max gross trailer that I'm fairly certain we've overloaded more than once.
OK, you are bit away from my question, but that's alright too.
The OEM nylons lasted (or didn't!) ~4000 miles. The first set of bronze bushings were used 10K. When I pulled it apart for heavier capacity leaf springs, of the twelve in shackles, not the equalizer, all but 4 were worn through. My first indicator is a very faint dinging noise when parked and my 200 pounds walking around is moving things a wee bit. That has come back. As far as the trailer., it's the sig unit, purchased new in 2014, 38 ft long and weighs in at over 12,500 ready to travel

Now, my question to you - have you actually inspected your 5ers wet bolt bushings to make sure they aren't shot? Physically you can't without pulling things apart. You can do a quasi inspection with a big Crescent or pipe wrench and twist the main spring leaf and watch for any slop at each of the bolts - this with a wheel jacked off the ground.

Now, the OP question - Lippert Never Fail .......
Old 12-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #8

I have never grease bushing for 10 years and when I replace them ,because of the spring broke ,they wasn't wore out total.Probably they can last another 3 years easy.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:32 PM   #9

Couple of guys on the Winnebago mini towables thread have recently replaced their bushings w/ Never Failhttp://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/winn...ml#post3945310
Old 12-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #10

I replaced the nylon with brass, then with NevRFail--but did not have the fiver long enough with the NRFs to see how they fared.
Replacing the bushings is a tedious job if done correctly--and, IF the spring eye is not worn, IF the old bushing can be removed COMPLETELY and the eye cleaned, and the bolt is the CORRECT one, then wear should not be a problem over 2-3 years. Greaseable bolts help some of this, but a lot of them won't take grease without jacking weight off.
Damage to the new bushing is possible when hammering them in--could be why they wear.
I would think the NRLs would be a good choice if installed with care and the bolt itself is not worn--also, there are different-sized bolts that will work, but need to be sure the shoulder is right and the bolt has the shoulder that stops rotation.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I have been running Lippert Never Fail bushings for almost 5 years & 60K miles. I broke a spring after 30K miles. The bushings looked great. I installed new wet bolts with the Never Fail bushings. I have never lubed the bolts. I would install again.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #12

E-Trailer states you should not use wet bolts and grease with the polyamide bushings, run them dry. They say grease degrades the material.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:52 AM   #13
IC2

With all of your help and some further 'net wandering am starting to find out what these spring bushings are made from and the options. The major manufacturer is SKF Bearings. About the worst of the bunch for load carrying capacity are, unfortunately are the plain bronze bushing supplied by Dexter and MORryde. The PTFE composite and PDM great while the plain PTFE polyamide (most likely the Never Fail) somewhat better then the bronze. As far as lube - yes, you can use a good non corrosive grease on these, or at least if SKF**. This will potentially improve performanc (life?) . Yhis is some good info on these type bushings: ly .SKF bushings, thrust washers and strips - SKF.com

It looks like the Never Fail are a good alternative to the usual bronze pieces and paired with a set of lubeable (new word??) bolts and a good grease, possibly better. And if you can find some of the PDM composite bushings somewhere, even better

**"SKF PTFE polyamide bushings are designed
for dry operation. A lubricant can, however,
improve the performance of these bushings.
With an adequate supply of grease, oil,
water or other liquid, the operating speed of
these bushings can be increased. SKF PTFE
polyamide bushings are resistant to most
lubricating oils and grease"
Old 12-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
I installed a set of "Never Fail Bushings" in a previous 5th wheel. They failed in the spring eye where they deformed and "caught" on the edge of the metal eye, where the spring leaf is bent into a circle. Somehow the deformed bushing grabbed the knurled bolt and every movement of the spring shakle end turned the knurled bolt a bit and wore out the knurled end of the bolt and shackle. This was after 6000 miles, one year. I bought them from Mobile Outfitters before they were taken over by LCI. Possibly I had a bad batch.

The Never Fail bushings that were in the Dexter EZ Flex were fine and showed no wear. There were no edges for the polyamide bushing to catch. I replaced with brass in the spring eyes.

My experience.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote