Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I had an 08 F250 that did that same thing. Installed the aforementioned Super Springs and it really helped. Easy to install and I took them off and sold them when I upgraded to a F-350 later on. They really work.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #16

The new fords trucks with eco boost are capable of pulling that wait. We used Roadmaster Active Suspension springs to boost the back end and it works great. The Super and Ras springs are the newest technology for correcting the sag problem. They are made for pulling the same weight each time.
Pinellaskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:07 AM   #17

If you're sagging 5-6" then you have way more pin weight than you think. It's beyond I can tow it cause my trucks an F350 clone. If your sagging 5-6" then even an F350 would need bags cause the pin weight is way more than the brochure says it is. I would suggest you take you setup fully loaded to the nearest scale and weigh it. Then decide if you just want bags or if you want to still be legal when towing.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #18

>"If I get this right the 42' Sandpiper is 15,500lbs gross 13,000lbs light with a pin weight of 2200lbs?"

Load the trailer up. Include fresh water too. Weigh it.
I'm pretty sure that you will find the pin weight is waaaay too much.

Let us know what you find ?
Twilightzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #19

Should of got an older Dodge!...........just kid'n..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #20

Because I am a retired military guy who now sends his loving wife to to work each day... She's active duty... Let's talk some known numbers!
2018, 41.7', Sandpiper RBLOK:
Scale weight empty: (as I picked it up yesterday) no fresh, black, or grey water.
13154lbs
After I drove back to the house, loaded up all of the misc items, ie: pots, pans corn hole boards, etc... I drove back and re-weighed the 5th wheel. (Again no black, grey, or fresh water) the 5th wheel weighed 14,321lbs.
My 2015, F250 Deisel, 3:55 rear end, with about a 1/2 tank of fuel, my hitch, and me in it weighed 6912lbs.
I went directly to the Ford dealership with my numbers. I have a 3:55 rear end, with a max tow of 15,900lbs.
So, with a 15,9 capacity... 14,3 is fine. A bit closer to the top end then I like, but I'm fine with that. Ford dealership, and most of us know, our truck can handle more then the specs. We try to adhere to them as closely as possible, but Ford and I said I am capable of towing way more than 15,9... It come mostly down to stopping capability with a heavy load on. They looked at my truck without a load on it, and stated that it looked lower on backside, with no load at all. The tech went out and visually looked under my truck to see if the "blocks" had been removed. They had not. His "personal opinion" was that Ford trucks are some of the strongest pulling trucks out there, but do have a tendency to dip, under a heavy cargo.
Ford's bottom line: the truck is within limits towing my rig. Dipped a little too much for his liking, and suggested reinforced springs or airbags.
I called Carolina RV back, where I purchased the RV, and inquired again concerning the weight issue at hand. He assured me that my vehicle just needed a little reinforcement on the rear springs. The "super springs" will do just fine!
If anyone wants to bust out their calculator and apply some quantum physics, and still tell me I am overloaded... I will listen, but not sure it will change my equipment or plans.
Now... My bottom line is...
Truck: I love my truck. I feel comfortable towing with it! For $50k... I am keeping it!
Sandpiper: I love it! For $50, I am keeping that too!
Are there any more questions or answers?!?
If not... Can I go back to the original question? Has any one else used these "super springs", and did they do the job?!?
Old 05-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #21

New 2018 42' Sandpiper has the F250 sagging a bit

Oh... My truck dipped a total of 3 3/4". Not quite the 5 or 6 I guesstimated. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6782.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	161370
Old 05-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #22

Here is another chart Ford directed me to as a reference.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6779.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	837.3 KB
ID:	161371
Old 05-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I agree. I personally would not tow that size of a 5ver unless I had a 450 minimum. You apparently didn't put a pen to paper and check the numbers of your truck's towing capacity before you bought as what you now have is a dangerous towing situation. You can supersize springs/shocks or whatever but the truck is simply to small. A reputable/knowledgeable sales person should have told you this up front.
C'mon, the dealer said he can pull it no problem

Just funin'.

But you should add a full tank of water, full tank of generator gas. Not sure what size water tank you have, but 100 gallons weighs over 800 pounds. 30 gallons of gas weighs another 250 pounds. It will make a difference. Not to mention a fridge full of food. Your gear. Beer!!!! Soda. Ice, etc. It all adds up fast.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #24

Right!!!! The dealer wouldn't lie would he???? lol we rarely ever camp where there is not at least water and electric... And a place to dump the tanks on the way out! We don't use a generator.
How dare I suggest we "camp" anywhere that doesn't have all the comforts of home. lol
Old 05-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #25

All those numbers add up, once you add food and anything else you forgot about you will be getting close to your max towing.

BUT, you forgot to list the 2 most important numbers, the pin weight of the trailer and the cargo capacity of your truck(yellow door jam sticker). Cargo is just about always the one that will be maxed out before towing capacity. Can you post those numbers?

Assuming you have a 10k gvwr(I believe that's the only option) that leaves you 3k for cargo in the truck, BUT that's distributed between both truck axles. 20% of your trailer as weighed is 2864(again without food and anything else you forgot). That means you're right at the GVWR for the truck, especially once you add in your wife and a full tank of fuel in the truck.

This doesn't even take into account that the rear axle probably isn't rated to handle 3k of cargo in the bed...Of course your pin weight could be more than 20% which certainly would mean your overweight. Sorry, but that is just not enough truck for that trailer. Sure it can pull it, but that doesn't make it safe.
wheelestate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBabysDaddy View Post
Right!!!! The dealer wouldn't lie would he???? lol we rarely ever camp where there is not at least water and electric... And a place to dump the tanks on the way out! We don't use a generator.
How dare I suggest we "camp" anywhere that doesn't have all the comforts of home. lol
LOL. If you don't plan on using the generator, make sure to keep fresh fuel and run it for at least an hour a month, otherwise your generator will not be happy.

And you never know, there are some cool places to go without electric and water. We prefer to be plugged in, but we do boondock a lot more than we ever imagined. Especially on lakes and when we don't want neighbors, which is often. Kinda cool to be out in the middle of nowhere with power, satellite TV, hot water, etc.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #27

Will you have a TPMS on your setup?
The biggest issue with being at max load is tire failures due to heat.
I highly suggest that you use one, so that there is fair warning of problems
Happy Trails
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelestate View Post
All those numbers add up, once you add food and anything else you forgot about you will be getting close to your max towing.

BUT, you forgot to list the 2 most important numbers, the pin weight of the trailer and the cargo capacity of your truck(yellow door jam sticker). Cargo is just about always the one that will be maxed out before towing capacity. Can you post those numbers?

Assuming you have a 10k gvwr(I believe that's the only option) that leaves you 3k for cargo in the truck, BUT that's distributed between both truck axles. 20% of your trailer as weighed is 2864(again without food and anything else you forgot). That means you're right at the GVWR for the truck, especially once you add in your wife and a full tank of fuel in the truck.

This doesn't even take into account that the rear axle probably isn't rated to handle 3k of cargo in the bed...Of course your pin weight could be more than 20% which certainly would mean your overweight. Sorry, but that is just not enough truck for that trailer. Sure it can pull it, but that doesn't make it safe.

I got you, and I mostly agree. This is my daily driver as well. I just got it a few months ago... Can't and won't lose money trading it. Would a big fat duelly be better suited... Sure! But, not in the cards. We don't take off and drive across the country. 2,3... Maybe 6 hours drive time. I guarantee, I am getting close to max everything. We are weekend, couple week long trips here and there campers. I understand, especially after working, and examining the actual numbers, just how close I am. I am not a "hot rodder", and take my time getting where I'm headed. I will be ever mindful of my payload, and braking ability. Safety is always at the forefront of my journey.
After I get those springs in, on Saturday, I'll post new pics of the connected rig.
PS... My wife says she adds only 109 pounds, THANK-YOU!! lol