Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Will you have a TPMS on your setup?
The biggest issue with being at max load is tire failures due to heat.
I highly suggest that you use one, so that there is fair warning of problems
Happy Trails

I definitely have one on my truck... 5er, no. But, the 5er tires won't be the ones over loaded. The ones on the truck would be the ones to be concerned about. I do have, and keep really good tires on it. So I think I'm good there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBabysDaddy View Post
If not... Can I go back to the original question? Has any one else used these "super springs", and did they do the job?!?
Yes, air bags, super springs, helper springs et cetera will control the sag and Helper springs help level your loaded truck . I have air bags on my 2500 Duramax and can eliminate virtually all sag. A friend has a set ofHellwig helper springs and likes them. We put 12 RR cross ties on is truck with no notable sag.
I prefer airbags over helper springs because of the flexibility (it rides rougher with 50 psi vs 10 psi). If they ever go out, I'll likely switch to a progressive helper spring.
Hook up and drive the damn thing. If its overloaded, you'll know it in the first few miles.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
LOL. If you don't plan on using the generator, make sure to keep fresh fuel and run it for at least an hour a month, otherwise your generator will not be happy.

And you never know, there are some cool places to go without electric and water. We prefer to be plugged in, but we do boondock a lot more than we ever imagined. Especially on lakes and when we don't want neighbors, which is often. Kinda cool to be out in the middle of nowhere with power, satellite TV, hot water, etc.

I don't even own a generator! lol I don't think we are gonna boondocks much anyway. We are usually a stones throw from everything.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:40 PM   #32

Quote:
I definitely have one on my truck... 5er, no. But, the 5er tires won't be the ones over loaded. The ones on the truck would be the ones to be concerned about. I do have, and keep really good tires on it. So I think I'm good there.
You will want a TPMS that has a temperature option for the truck. The heat will tell you a lot about what your tires are going through. Especially when towing near the max.

You still will want to have tire monitors (psi and heat) on your trailer tires, even with light loads. Saved me twice. 5th wheel tires go through a lot, regardless of load.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #33

Quote:
You will want a TPMS that has a temperature option for the truck. The heat will tell you a lot about what your tires are going through. Especially when towing near the max.

You still will want to have tire monitors (psi and heat) on your trailer tires, even with light loads. Saved me twice. 5th wheel tires go through a lot, regardless of load.

Thanks. I will for sure ask about that. What's that run $$?
Old 05-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #34

^^^^^
Yes, there is no bigger reason I see fivers on the roadside: flats. Often with collateral damage, and usually due to heat.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #35

For $259 I have the TST 507 and very happy with it.

https://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-flow-thru/

They have some other versions as well
Old 05-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
Yes, air bags, super springs, helper springs et cetera will control the sag and Helper springs help level your loaded truck . I have air bags on my 2500 Duramax and can eliminate virtually all sag. A friend has a set ofHellwig helper springs and likes them. We put 12 RR cross ties on is truck with no notable sag.
I prefer airbags over helper springs because of the flexibility (it rides rougher with 50 psi vs 10 psi). If they ever go out, I'll likely switch to a progressive helper spring.
Hook up and drive the damn thing. If its overloaded, you'll know it in the first few miles.

NOW THERES AN ANSWER IVE BEEN WAITING ON!!! 22 years Army!!! I laughed as I read your response. Exactly what my buddy told me, as I was going back and forth... HOOK IT UP AND DRIVE THAT DAMN THING!! I've never driven a less safe vehicle than some of those that were expected to save Soldier's lives!! I'm here today. Thanks
Old 05-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #37

Quote:
For $259 I have the TST 507 and very happy with it.

https://tsttruck.com/product/tst-507-flow-thru/

They have some other versions as well

Sounds like $2-300, will be good investment. Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I agree. I personally would not tow that size of a 5ver unless I had a 450 minimum. You apparently didn't put a pen to paper and check the numbers of your truck's towing capacity before you bought as what you now have is a dangerous towing situation. You can supersize springs/shocks or whatever but the truck is simply to small. A reputable/knowledgeable sales person should have told you this up front.
Really??? A 450???? Do you know the weights there talking about? Less than 3k pin and under 16k gross. If you NEED a 450 to tow that your truck must be broke.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Really??? A 450???? Do you know the weights there talking about? Less than 3k pin and under 16k gross. If you NEED a 450 to tow that your truck must be broke.

Airmech... have you lost your mind! What do you tow with, a semi tractor! Cmon!?! First of all you don't know what paper or pen I used or my research ability! I have plenty of truck... it not a 450. But, if you need a 450 for this 5er... I question your towing and driving ability.
Thanks for your opinion... but, I'll be sure and keep you in mind, as I am in my mindless dangerous situation!!!
So FACEPALM to you. Hop off my question! How bow dah!!??
Old 05-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #40

It was in response to a post, not stating what was needed. As long as the numbers are good have at it. I tow a similar camper with a 16 year old dually that has the ratings if a new srw. If your comfortable go for it.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #41

Well it's your camper pull it with whatever you want it's yours but if I was towing something that long I would want a dually. But one things in your favor it's a FORD, it will pull anything
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:09 PM   #42

Quote:
I got you, and I mostly agree. This is my daily driver as well. I just got it a few months ago... Can't and won't lose money trading it. Would a big fat duelly be better suited... Sure! But, not in the cards. We don't take off and drive across the country. 2,3... Maybe 6 hours drive time. I guarantee, I am getting close to max everything. We are weekend, couple week long trips here and there campers. I understand, especially after working, and examining the actual numbers, just how close I am. I am not a "hot rodder", and take my time getting where I'm headed. I will be ever mindful of my payload, and braking ability. Safety is always at the forefront of my journey.
After I get those springs in, on Saturday, I'll post new pics of the connected rig.
PS... My wife says she adds only 109 pounds, THANK-YOU!! lol
You STILL haven't answered the two most important questions that have been asked of you....
1. Yellow sticker on the driver's side door post....What is the Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) of YOUR truck? Not numbers from a Ford brochure, your salesman, or anyone else. The CCC on YOUR truck is the weight that YOUR truck is capable of handling. (My 2011 F250 CCC is 2,148 lbs...and I've only got an XLT Crew Cab 4x4 with the 6.75' bed)
2. What is the actual loaded pin weight of the trailer as verified by a CAT or other scale? Not what the sales brochure says, not what the salesman told you, and not what you "think" it might be!

Post up those two numbers and then come back and tell us that you aren't overloaded. And remember, the CCC includes a full tank of fuel......no driver, no passenger, no 5ver hitch (unless it was installed before it left the factory...not put on at a dealer). Anything and everything besides those items mentioned, counts against your CCC and is of course deducted from that CCC number. I'd be surprised if you aren't at least 700 to 800 lbs overloaded. Oh, I forgot, you don't need to deduct the weight of the spare tire, that was on it when it left the factory. And do remember, you can put all the helper springs and or air bags that you want on the truck, but the CCC doesn't change from a legal viewpoint.....it's still EXACTLY what it says on the yellow sticker on the driver's door post. The only way to change the CCC of the truck is to hire a company to do the upgrade work and recertify the CCC...and that would be far more expensive than trading the truck for a One SRW or preferrably a DRW One tonner.

One other thing.....you stated in an earlier post that the truck is capable of pulling 18,000 lbs.......where did you come up with that number?
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote