Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #1

Coastal Campers
New 5'er Sitting Unused

We ordered a 2022 Alliance Paradigm 310RL back in June and took ownership of it in September. Unfortunately, due to still waiting on our truck upgrade to be built we have yet to use the 5er. (Gotta love Ford for pushing a build on a ‘22 F350 five times! Ordered same day we ordered the 5er. My F250 is on the top end of weight tolerances so I will not use it to pull the rig.) In fact, we have not even taken the rig off the dealer’s lot.

We have been stocking it with essentials (no food), I put LI batteries in it, we upgraded the mattress, and still have a few other small things to do while we wait. I have a TPMS and a Haloview camera system to install as well.

My question to all of you is…should I be doing any routine maintenance and/or checks on it while it sits? The water system was checked by the dealer when it arrived, but we’ve not done anything otherwise. I don’t want to finally get on the road with it – hopefully by January - and find stuff not working due to the rig having sit so long. I am expecting first-use issues but otherwise should I be doing anything to it while it sits. I’m in north Florida so winterizing it is a possibility. Thanks. Bill
Bhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 08:58 AM   #2

I would worry most about thieves if the unit is sitting on a lot.
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:04 AM   #3

Seems like a good opportunity to test and use everything possible, but I including water systems.
If it's sitting on the lot anyway, find anything they need to fix...
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:04 AM   #4

Fully covered with Insurance?

Water system filled and could have freezing temps.......dewinterize before damage from freezing occurs

In mean time....LOT camping/day time to check out...make 'punch list' for repairs (get them done while waiting on truck)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:06 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Are you able to get inside the RV fairly easily and let the stairs/slides out, or is it sandwiched in between other RVs in the service lot? I see you managed to get a new mattress in, so it sounds like they've accommodated you so far at least.

As for me, I'd probably exercise all seals every couple weeks or so, i.e., open/close windows, fan vents, slides, door, bay doors. Check awning operation. Adjust awning angle to your liking. Perhaps keep a bit of antifreeze in the toilet to cover the seal. Speaking of, I'd probably drain all of the water out of it, including the water heater assuming it has a conventional one.

And if you can get sufficient 120V power to it, I'd run the ACs every few weeks too. May as well exercise the furnace while you're at it. Note: Do not run water heater if it is dry.

Maybe put bug guards on the water heater and furnace vents if you haven't already. Oh, and if your RV has a Furrion radio, you'll need at least two or three hours to learn its operation. lol

Lastly, keep air pressure up on the tires so it's ready to pull when that new truck arrives!

Much (all?) of the above advice may fall under OCD, but it gives you an excuse to get out there and check on it occasionally.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:03 PM   #6

I would get it home if it were me, and use it there to familiarize myself with everything.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:50 AM   #7

I am in same boat, but much chillier waters in NY.
Purchased new trailer and had it delivered to my barn while I wait for ordered truck to be built. Really in no hurry to tow as winter is looming and we've already had snow.
I'm using this time to familiarize myself with stuff so when spring and truck (hopefully) arrive I'm ready.
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #8

Don't believe the dealer. Everything on our Jayco that he said he checked didn't work. He talked a good story, but we had all total over 60 things,wrong. My first thought is if you can put it in the driveway and plug it into the electric. Next fill all of the waste tanks until they back up to where you see the water, like in the shower, or up into the toilet. Then let them sit overnight to see if the level drops. If it doesn't your good. Best to find out with clean water. Stay in it overnight. Watch TV take a shower. Cook dinner. Run everything. Good luck
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure the rig is properly winterized in case you have freezing weather.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I agree with others. Don't trust what the dealer says. Since you state it's still sitting on the dealer's lot, see if you can make arrangements with that dealer to stay in it several nights to try out everything. Surely they have at least electric you can tie into. Offer to give them a some money to use it. A dealership should also have access to fresh water & a dump station, if only for their own use for winterizing & stuff. Although I see you are in FL, so maybe winterizing is not something dealerships do there. If they do, you could fill up your fresh tank & check all your systems. Give them a small amount of money to use their dump station when you're satisfied everything works.

You need to know what works & what doesn't. You don't know how long your truck will be on backorder. You don't want to run out of your warranty period waiting for your truck to arrive to finally test out everything.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 05:27 PM   #11

Your 250 is probably plenty big enough to move it out of the dealer lot. I'd even consider moving it to a nearby RV park and hooking it up, paying monthly rental so you could at least use it. Probably not much more than a monthly storage fee somewhere. Good luck.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:51 AM   #12

I agree with Wagon Master, get it out of there. The 250 will get it home before they sell it with your stuff in it.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:32 AM   #13

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
Seems like a good opportunity to test and use everything possible, but I including water systems.
If it's sitting on the lot anyway, find anything they need to fix...
Thanks for the suggestions.
Wife and I try to go every week for a few hours to open it up, run the slides out, and run as many systems as we can. I have no access to water so other than putting water in the toilet to help keep the seal operable I can't do much with the water system at the present time unfortunately. It sucks not being able to do much with it but next time - if there is a next time - I order one I'll plan a whole lot better. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:39 AM   #14

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Fully covered with Insurance?

Water system filled and could have freezing temps.......dewinterize before damage from freezing occurs

In mean time....LOT camping/day time to check out...make 'punch list' for repairs (get them done while waiting on truck)
Insurance? Full coverage bumper to bumper with Geico. Tagged it to my truck policy. I had not thought about the winterizing but will likely have to do that by month's end the way it's going. Our winters are pretty mild here in St. Augustine, but I know when we finally get up to the property we just bought in Tennessee, that I will have to winterize more than I want. I have a portable generator we bought so I can get added power to it to do the winterizing IF the two LI batteries I have won't be enough.
As for the punch list, I find something every time we go to it. Does that list ever end??? Thanks for the suggestions...