Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2021, 05:52 AM   #1

New 5th wheel brands

I am looking into new 5th wheel models and looking for opinions on which make and model to consider and ones to avoid. I have had two 5th wheels in the past: Dutchman Infinity Front living and Forrest River wildcat sterling. Both were ok but looking for something that we can part time in and a unit that can handle a lot of highway miles.

thanks,
ChiefStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 06:06 AM   #2

You left the door wide open here. I mean the length, weight, toy hauler 5th wheel, just a 5th wheel, front living room, number of slides, etc...
Plus what kind of truck do you have to tow? If you need another truck, what do you want a SRW or a DRW?
I would narrow it down a bit.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:42 AM   #3

Thanks hamm2018,

let me give a little better info. I have a 2021 Chevy 3500hd SRW SB Duramax. I am looking to keep the RV 40' or under, three slides, B&W 25K 5th wheel hitch with puck system.

to add to my question. I see on the forum that we have a number of members that have had multiple units...I have as well, 2- 5th wheels, 1-Class C and two travel trailers. I know we all have our reasons for swapping units. I am curious if the group rotates units based on features or does the units just not stand up over time. I know all of us look at these as luxury items and not as an investment we expect to gain on.

So, what I am looking for is advice.... Does it make more sense to spend more to build the unit thinking I can keep it for the long term....higher end platform, maybe add full body paint? or does it make more sense to go into a mid level unit enjoy it for a number of years knowing at sometime I would be trading up either for features or more importantly the unit wont hold up for the long term putting a lot of miles on it.
ChiefStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefStan View Post
So, what I am looking for is advice.... Does it make more sense to spend more to build the unit thinking I can keep it for the long term....higher end platform, maybe add full body paint? or does it make more sense to go into a mid level unit enjoy it for a number of years knowing at sometime I would be trading up either for features or more importantly the unit wont hold up for the long term putting a lot of miles on it.
I'm of the opinion that you buy what you can afford at the time you're in the market. If budget permits, build/purchase something nice that you'll appreciate. I generally don't regret overspending a bit on major purchases, i.e., a little nicer house, a little nicer car with more options, etc. (again assuming budget permits) And I almost always find myself regretting when I pinch a penny unnecessarily. That's totally a personal choice of course!

If you care to share a rough budget window, you'll get a lot of input from folks here I bet, for both new and used 5th wheel models out there that you might enjoy.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #5

Look at the Grand Design units. The company stands behind the warranty work a little better than others.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:36 PM   #6
OTH

I think you should buy what you want, or as much as you can reasonably afford anyway. Then upgrade it as necessary. With the way they are cranking out trailers right now, I'm not sure how much true quality there is out there. We chose the KZ Durango Gold which was exactly the trailer we were looking for. Very happy with it. Like anything else, it's had a couple little issues, but luckily I chose a dealer that stands behind the product and the customer, so I've really had no issues. My experience so far says KZ stands behind their stuff.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:29 AM   #7
JDT

Last year we went thru pretty much the same thing you are doing. Depending on the year we will spend 3 to 4 months in ours. Our longest time out is 5 or 6 weeks. Our goal was to find something in the top end of what I would consider mid level brands. We made our list of must haves like a nice pantry and an Insignia free standing oven for the wife and a decent suspension system for me. Our list boiled down to a Grand Design Solitude 310GK, Vilano 320GK, Redwood 3410RL, Alliance Paradigm 310RL and 340RL and our Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS. All these fell within the weight ratings that our single rear wheel Ford could handle, which will be similar to your GM. We never got to see any of the Alliance models as there were no dealers closer than 300 miles at the time. There are a few others like the Durango Gold, Montana and Big Country somethings that we didn't see but maybe should have.

We settled on the Pinnacle as it had what the wife wanted, the suspension I wanted which included the MorRyde LRE4000 system and US made Goodyear tires and the dealer was great to work with. One thing it didn't have was disc brakes, a must have in my books. We recently had them installed by Performance Trailer Braking which made a big difference in the stopping distance. A little icing on the cake was the 2 year warranty Jayco offers vs 1 year for most of the others. So far we have only had 2 issues which needed the dealers attention and I have been more than pleased with the service.

We have owned 2 popups, 5 fifth wheels, a Class A gas and a Class A diesel pusher in the past 40 plus years. We had the diesel pusher for 7 years and it was the wife's favorite. I grew to hate it because of the expense involved in keeping the dang thing going. Nobody around here wanted to work on it and anything to do with drive train maintenance and repair was big bucks. There are many things I can fix on the fifth wheel and there are a bunch of Ford dealers across the country if I need help with it.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not consider the Dutchman or Wildcat for a lot of trouble free highway miles. Step up your game and look at Grandesign or Vilano by Wanleigh. Alternates would be Jayco Eagle and Cedar Creek.

Rather than an entry level new unit, you will do better buying a higher end use unit that is 3 to 5 years old (maybe older).

Ken
Old 08-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefStan View Post
Thanks hamm2018,

let me give a little better info. I have a 2021 Chevy 3500hd SRW SB Duramax. I am looking to keep the RV 40' or under, three slides, B&W 25K 5th wheel hitch with puck system.

to add to my question. I see on the forum that we have a number of members that have had multiple units...I have as well, 2- 5th wheels, 1-Class C and two travel trailers. I know we all have our reasons for swapping units. I am curious if the group rotates units based on features or does the units just not stand up over time. I know all of us look at these as luxury items and not as an investment we expect to gain on.

I strongly suggest you look at trailer with a max GVW of 15,000 lbs you will really be max rear axle load at that. My 16800lb redwood was to heavy for my single wheel 3500 . I was 800 lbs over weight on my rear axle of a 2016 GMC Denali 3500 crew cab duramax 4x4 rated at 11500lbs. The problem is the rear tire size , If GM ever goes up to the ford F350 SRW size tires then you a little better off. We own a 2015 Redwood RL38 i has a pin weight of 3500~3800 lbs depending on how much fresh water I run in it.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #10

This spring we bought our 1st 5th wheel. after fair amount of looking at quality over years we ended up with newmar cyprus 2008 37' - cadillac of time - and it has polar package

I've upgraded/replaced lots of stuff this summer, but then again i hate maintenance

1st though I bought 2016 F350, lifted with 35 width tires on 20" rims
it's like 1 1/2 of dually and pulls wonderful
i have 8" clearance on back tires loaded - figure around 16k on 5th
fischer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischer76 View Post
This spring we bought our 1st 5th wheel. after fair amount of looking at quality over years we ended up with newmar cyprus 2008 37' - cadillac of time - and it has polar package

I've upgraded/replaced lots of stuff this summer, but then again i hate maintenance

1st though I bought 2016 F350, lifted with 35 width tires on 20" rims
it's like 1 1/2 of dually and pulls wonderful
i have 8" clearance on back tires loaded - figure around 16k on 5th
Congrat for the new FW the only problem is that you will overload that truck.The FW is over 16000 lb .Newmar build heavy trailers.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel