Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2022, 04:34 PM   #1

New 5th wheel heater won't work

I just picked up our new 2022 Outdoors Rv Glacier Peak F26RKS last Monday, and we are on a 2 week trip. The first night, the heater worked fine. Ever since then, the heater will only click on, and then blow the little fuse located in the wall thermostat.

The dealer service manager told me to flip the on/off switch on the blower motor (nothing happened) and then replace the fuse. Now He recommends that we take it to a Suburban rated Rv dealer.

I replaced the fuse about 3 times, and each time I try the heater Thermostat switch, it blows the fuse. The A/C side of the switch works fine, and does not blow the fuse.

We have an AirExcel Suburban propane heater model SF-35Q. The Thermostat is labeled "RVComfort.MC Coleman Mach".

The dealer where I bought the unit is too far away to return. I have left messages with nearby dealers, but I am sure that they will be too busy to take it in right way.

The rest of the RV works fine, and electrical RV problem solving is not something I want to get into. Any ideas?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2022, 04:42 PM   #2

I would try to find a reputable mobile tech.

I suspect your dealer will pay for repairs since you are traveling but I would not gurantee it .

Good luck. Might get a couple of cheap ceramic heaters until problem is resolved.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #3

Call your RV manufacturer customer service. Explain the issue. Ask if they will authorize a mobile rv tech to do the repair.
Check with local campgrounds or do a Google search for rv mobile services. Before calling them.
If you call the mobile tech first give them a heads up.

Once the manufacturer authorizes the repair get clear instructions on who and how the rv tech gets paid. Get an incident number from your manufacturer.
Be prepared... This can take a while waiting for a live customer service rep. 40 minutes plus on hold.
Don't leave a message stay on the line.

Been there done this. Don't get upset just be insistent you need it fixed and far from home.

RoadrunnerII
Old 03-19-2022, 08:12 PM   #4

Thanks, that is good advice. I have a ceramic heater in the meantime, and the weather is moderate now. I'll just have to wait until Monday to call the manufacturer.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
electrical RV problem solving is not something I want to get into. Any ideas?
Then you may be in for a painful ownership. So RoadrunnerII has the next best answer and you will be without a furnace for quite some time and you will spend a lot of time dealing with the morons. Hope that works out for you.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:38 PM   #6

Fixed

My heater now works....it was some kind of short in the wiring, probably touching metal. And Outdoors Rv solved it.

RECAP

Heater won't work, but the AC does, so I called the dealer.
He had me reset the switch on the blower motor.
Still doesn't work.

Then he had me replace the fuse inside the wall Thermostat. The thermostat blew the fuse each time I turned the switch to heat.

I called AirExcel to see if it was a faulty thermostat. The technician told me to disconnect some wires, and then determined that it was probably a short in the wiring leading back to the heater.

I called Outdoors Rv, and the Tech reviewed his notes and wiring for this unit. He had me pull out some wiring, and test it again. It worked! After I wrapped the wire connectors with electrical tape, I put it back in place and it still works.

Bottom line, I am very impressed with the quick service and troubleshooting help provided by Outdoors Rv.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update, good to hear you got the problem solved!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:33 PM   #8

I had problems with one of my Suburban heaters right after I purchased my 5thwheel. It kept blowing a fuse , turned out the heater blower wheel came apart locking up the motor and blowing a fuse. Seems like this is a common problem. They have two blower wheels one for the burner which is metal and a plastic blower wheel that blows heat into the rig . It was under warranty but it would have cost more to take it to be repaired than doing it myself . Cost of the wheel was about 20 bucks.
cwall59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, heat, heater