Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #15

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Of all the current and past production line fivers made over the years DRV is the only one left that offers something better engineered than the others. They have the stacked box frame, thicker sidewalls, slides that seal flush with the RV side, IS, disc brakes, 17.5 wheels, etc.
I guess all the other manufacturers are afraid of trying to build something comparable.
http://www.drvsuites.com/elite-suites-luxury-fifth-wheels/drv-advantages.html
jdpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Of all the current and past production line fivers made over the years DRV is the only one left that offers something better engineered than the others. They have the stacked box frame, thicker sidewalls, slides that seal flush with the RV side, IS, disc brakes, 17.5 wheels, etc.
I guess all the other manufacturers are afraid of trying to build something comparable.
http://www.drvsuites.com/elite-suites-luxury-fifth-wheels/drv-advantages.html
Luxe offers that stuff too but your point still stands.

Recently I've been reading quite a bit about bad quality at DRV. I know all the "only the complainers go online" and all but it still gives me pause.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:06 PM   #17

Once DRV started several years ago building Tradition 5th wheel they lowered their standards.

OP - I agree it is exciting to have a new 5th wheel. My observation years 2 - 4 are the best as that is when new companies in the RV industry peak. After that they all seem to go downhill.

Does anyone know of a company building a better product than the did 8 years ago?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #18

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
Luxe offers that stuff too but your point still stands.

Recently I've been reading quite a bit about bad quality at DRV. I know all the "only the complainers go online" and all but it still gives me pause.
Agreed! I could have gotten a DRV for about the same price as my Lifestyle at the time but opted for the LS. I love some of the features of the DRV but even when I ordered the LS I was starting to read of more issues with DRV. I have heard that is more so the case since the 2014 takeover my THOR.
Keeping what I have!
Old 12-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
wishful thinking i guess. Ill keep my Teton till something else comes along thats actually an upgrade.
Custom build only.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #20

What frame did Newmar and Teton homes
Casper Wyoming use ?
When they manufactured fivers ???
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If they really want to shake up the RV market, they need to use a Young's Welding frame that is powder coated, dual pane windows, better insulation, better cabinets, heavier furniture and carpet, and Mor/Ryde IS suspension and American made tires rated fro the load.

Problem with this is it will make the Rv heavier and people can;t pull them with their 3/4 ton trucks and they will be more $$$$.

A number of higher end manufacturers have bit the dust and cannot keep up with the glitz from Thor and Forest River. I am very fornatuate that we got one of the last HitchHiker Champagnes. A well built, true 4-season, full time RV.

Ken
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJLowell View Post
What frame did Newmar and Teton homes
Casper Wyoming use ?
When they manufactured fivers ???
Teton built there own frames and still have the patent on them. The original owners the The Ingrams. Not the group that leased the name later on. Hence no one has built the "Big and tall" version since. Storage area size and height no one has come close. 4115 CCC says it quite strong. Can roll a 4 wheeler or golf cart in the belly of mine.. Newmar used there own frames early then spec'd one for lippert to build later.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Teton built there own frames and still have the patent on them. The original owners the The Ingrams. Not the group that leased the name later on. Hence no one has built the "Big and tall" version since. Storage area size and height no one has come close. 4115 CCC says it quite strong. Can roll a 4 wheeler or golf cart in the belly of mine.. Newmar used there own frames early then spec'd one for lippert to build later.
Thank you consolenut
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thor took over DRV in 2016 and quality was pretty good through MOST of that year. After that it has seemed to take a downturn, but whose hasn't? If I was looking for a unit of that size and quality I would be taking a serious look at 2016 and older DRVs through either Rolling Retreats or Whiskey Mountain. Both specialize in them and can get you factory build sheets so you know what it came with and what was added by previous owners. Both also have a vast knowledge of these particular coaches and where the problems are likely to be, as well as best practices to fix them.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Actually New Horizoms built an almost duplicate of Teton around 2010. It looked like a clone of mine.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:29 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
IF ANY OF THE GANGSTERS FROM HEARTLAND ARE INVOLVED-i WOULD STEER VERY MUCH CLEAR. We remember well out water tank falling out, our friends had to have the front cap removed to rebuild the frame. They still can't use it as the wiring is a mess.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:52 AM   #26

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
There really is no accountability in the industry. They throw together crap as fast as they can, shut down overnight, sell- out, and change line-ups constantly.
All the new stuff I've seen looks incredibly cheap inside. It's all about the speed in which they can push it out.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:00 AM   #27

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
https://rv-pro.com/news/alliance-rv-...ws-fifth-wheel

Doesn't look like anything special.
Traditional framed windows. On the subject of windows, that's not a bad idea as frameless windows look sleek and have become so popular tend to leak at the seal allowing water to get in behind the exterior wall and the owner never knows. Trust me.....its going on all over the industry regardless of brand.
The roof edge does not appear to be a rolled edge which make the rig look less expensive.
Cheap looking laminate rear wall instead of molded fiberglass.
The flush floor kitchen slide is nice and the pocket door in the bathroom. It would be nice to see more companies putting opposing slides in the bedroom.
I'm not expecting anything especial but time will tell.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #28

I see that they have a pre-crack stress joint under the bed slide corners. Big thread over on the Jayco owner forum where Jayco doesn't build their 5th wheels with it and many owners are getting cracks in that area.
Thats a plus.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, alliance, alliance rv, paradigm