Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #29

As a recent Mobile Suites purchaser, and former Grand Design Solitude owner, I can tell you that DRV components are top notch, the workmanship however is no better than Grand Design. YMMV.
2Yung2 Quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 01:08 PM   #30

If this company wants to be different they need to start from the ground up and build something better than all the other cookie cutters. Employing the requests from respective consumers is just a feel good ploy. What makes them any different? I like the windows. I hate the flush ones for various reasons. They need to start with a well built frame not put together by the monkeys at Lippert. They need to use better and thicker aluminum like Northwood(no one will ever use the aircraft grade that Alpenlite had anymore). Solid wood inserts in the tubes as well as backers. High density virgin foam at least 2#s. Blue Dow would be best as its very dense and also structural. New Horizons and spacecraft use this. Teton and Nuwa did also. I could go on for a while as there was various manufactures that had the best of something..but nobody had the best completely. I like the wood trusses. I need to see a pic of them. They do not transfer heat or cold like aluminum and are a lot stronger than the stamped designs. Vapor barriers next to solid objects like luan, cd or osb create more problems than it's worth. Infalted R values are amusing. I hope the trusses are solid and not OSB formed like Teton. That was always my knock on them along with the OSB roof. Worked fine as long as a leak never happened. Customer service will go a long ways but can they maintain it? Will they care in two years if the sell out to one of the three? I won't hammer on them to much until i see and crawl through one in person. Until then..i wish them the best of luck in a very crowded field of clones.
Elkfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #31

I went to the website and it says they use a Hercules Chassis. If this is the same Hercules that made some of my farm equipement chassis then it has to be better than Lippert. This assumes this name is not a pseudonym like Falcon and its spec meets or exceeds it's targeted GVWR.
Elkfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #32

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
As a recent Mobile Suites purchaser, and former Grand Design Solitude owner, I can tell you that DRV components are top notch, the workmanship however is no better than Grand Design. YMMV.
I have always felt that the DRV is a wonderfully engineered RV, however, just poorly executed. That's exactly why I didn't buy one back in 2014.

I imagine the frame and most other components are Lippert other than the Dexter axles. I suspect the Hercules name is something they are using to try to appeal to consumers to give them the impression of a strong frame or that its something different and better than the others.

Like the previous poster, I wish them the best but I'm not seeing anything really different. Show us a cutaway of how its built like many manufacturers so we can see the components going into it.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #33

go for the gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesg View Post
Can't help but wonder how long they will last until they sell out to Thor, FR, or Winnebago! And if they use Lippert junk, they won't last and the warranty issues will drive them crazy. GD sold out just in time to stick it to Winnebago!
You can`t hold that against them, 3 guys with an idea, risked everything they owned, built from experience and gave the customer what they wanted (for a time anyway) was offered a absolute ridiculous large pile of money for a few years of work to walk away and have fun the rest of thier lives. Shoot that`s the American way. I mean where else you going to pull that off in the world. These new guys will do the same just give it time.

Sorry, former 30 year business owner that sold out just before the crash, and never looked back.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
If they really want to shake up the RV market, they need to use a Young's Welding frame that is powder coated, dual pane windows, better insulation, better cabinets, heavier furniture and carpet, and Mor/Ryde IS suspension and American made tires rated fro the load.

Problem with this is it will make the Rv heavier and people can;t pull them with their 3/4 ton trucks and they will be more $$$$.

A number of higher end manufacturers have bit the dust and cannot keep up with the glitz from Thor and Forest River. I am very fornatuate that we got one of the last HitchHiker Champagnes. A well built, true 4-season, full time RV.

Ken
Check out Northwood Manufacturing. A quality product with frames built in-house. We love our 30 foot Arctic Fox and pull it with our 3/4 ton. We also have the Mor/Ryde Suspension.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #35

Give them three years and Thor will probably buy them out.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #36

Like many, I'm less than favorably impressed with the RV industry. And the problems have existed for a very long time. My best guess is change will be minimal, at best, and take years to occur. Pessimistic perhaps, but more likely the sad reality. "It's been like this for so long they think it makes sense!"

The driving force for change will only exist when there are enough buyers who refuse to buy what is currently the status quo. And said buyers must be willing to spend the money it will take to make the manufacturer(s) profitable selling what will be necessarily a more expensive product.
LegacyFB38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #37

Spot On

You are spot on but forgot Alpenlite. From 2000-2004. We have a 2002 36’ lAlpenlite Stone Creek. We put 17.5 Michelin Tires & wheels on. We installed steel plates on spring hangers. Still full timing with it and have upgraded the interior also. When corporate bought it units went downhill. We looked at the Van Leigh also. Great woodwork and exterior paint like you said. That’s all they’ve got. It seems that anything Tiffin’s sons are involved in is poor quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
This will be interesting to see. I'm not holding my breath for anything special. All of the quality manufacturers have gone belly-up all about the around the same time.
Carriage made quality rigs for 40 years and the guy who took them into bankruptcy then took over the upstart sister Lifestyle LRV and took them into bankruptcy.
All the quality manufacturers such as Carriage/Lifesyle, Excel, Teton, and NuWa and Continental Coach have closed.
Luxe RV started making nice fivers and still do but reduced production to only the larger, higher priced units.
I'm so tired of all the manufactures coming out with new lines and touting themselves as luxury/high end and there's not one thing different about their build.
Then Vanleigh started up. Nothing specials about them at all and touting themselves as high-end with the likes of Lippert axles and cheap Chinese tires. Really? Beautiful paint though!
I will be watching but I'm not holding my breath. If its even as nice as a DRV or Riverstone I will be surprised.
annphilrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:07 PM   #38

A quality fifth wheel that should be cloned.

I own a 2000 King of the Road 5th wheel. They were a very high quality medium cost 5th wheel. I still get comments on they can't believe it is 20 years old. All of the interior cabinets were Amish made. I still have not had any problem with the frame, axles or slide out operation or mating with the body. Shortly before going out of business they developed a retracting porch that was a great add on.

If these people are really serious about building a unit that is above any thing else on the market they should take a good hard look at how and with what the King of the Road was manufactured.
Clee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:10 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Travel trailers, Mobile homes, prefab homes, cookie cutter project homes ! All have workmanship, product, component application QA/QC issues for the buyers to inspect and punch list after signing on the dotted line. Sales informs Service dept to manage all WARRANTY issues as per contract agreements. Unless its s spec built home you can be assured you will generate a punch list. Just business as we know it .
jaearhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #40

I'll just hang on to my perpetual 10 year old Newmar 5ver, thank you very much.
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:26 PM   #41

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
I'll just hang on to my perpetual 10 year old Newmar 5ver, thank you very much.
I totally understand that!
I feel the same way about our 2014 Lifestyle (Carriage carry-over).
This is the first year in 13 years we won't be attending the Tampa show. We have always gone just for fun with friends and to see the latest. The last year or 2 we have walked away saying nothing very positive about what we saw.....especially the quality. Everything just starts to look cheaper and cheaper every year.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:14 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
This will be interesting to see. I'm not holding my breath for anything special. All of the quality manufacturers have gone belly-up all about the around the same time.
Carriage made quality rigs for 40 years and the guy who took them into bankruptcy then took over the upstart sister Lifestyle LRV and took them into bankruptcy.
All the quality manufacturers such as Carriage/Lifesyle, Excel, Teton, and NuWa and Continental Coach have closed.
Luxe RV started making nice fivers and still do but reduced production to only the larger, higher priced units.
I'm so tired of all the manufactures coming out with new lines and touting themselves as luxury/high end and there's not one thing different about their build.
Then Vanleigh started up. Nothing specials about them at all and touting themselves as high-end with the likes of Lippert axles and cheap Chinese tires. Really? Beautiful paint though!
I will be watching but I'm not holding my breath. If its even as nice as a DRV or Riverstone I will be surprised.
You forgot to mention New Horizons as an option. They produce quality 5th wheels. Of course they cost more and only those that are looking for quality will pay the price. The companies know that most people talk quality but won’t spend the money so we get shoddy construction and terrible factory support. When you sell very cheaply of course you get poor service. My brother had a Forest River Champagne Edition 5th wheel and it looked good. It was terrible and he couldn’t unload it fast enough. Now has New Horizons and new tow vehicle. Quality weighs more so the 550 is nice. I personally would have gone for the Sport Freightliner.
I believe that Spacecraft is also still in business again a full custom that costs double what the cheap poor quality rigs we now have.
Good luck with the new line and I hope the pricing doesn’t kill them. If they aren’t more expensive they won’t be any better. Simple economics.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, alliance, alliance rv, paradigm