Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #29

Hm, where did you get the 5 year warranty info from? When I checked with Alliance they sent me a sheet from Lionshead that asked to register with Customer Care Club Registration, which I did. But that registration is only for 2 years of roadside flat tire assistance limited to $100. Did I miss something?

Also, Lionshead is IMO not the manufacturer but holds the "Sterling All-Steel" trademark. The tires are made by a company "zc-rubber" in Thailand, probably as an OEM deal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #30

There may be room for interpretation but the warranty card i have says one year "no excuses" replacement and 5 years "mfg defects" replacement. The disclaimers are pretty strong and i think it would be hard to prove "mfg defect" in the event of a blowout for example, but the language is definately there: 60 months warranty from the date code on the tire. This is for ST radial trailer tires from lionshead.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:05 PM   #31

I need to check that out as well. Did you get the warranty card from the dealer or from Lionshead?

Regarding the earlier question about the locks: I replaced the entrance door lock with the RV-lock with keyfob and the front compartment and leveler locks with the simple RV-lock cylinders, all keyed-alike saving one key. Easy enough to do but the entrance lock is rather thick and the handrail does not fold completely flat anymore. I will probably need 3/8" spacer plates under the handrail mounting pods.
I left the Bauer locks for the main storage compartment in place.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:48 AM   #32

oh thats good to know re: handrail and the lock. I might still go for it just because there are only 100 unique keys in the world :-).

yea I had to do a double-take on the warranty too. The card I have came with the stack of stuff from Alliance -- There's space to register all four DOT numbers. That way if I do have a blow-out I can at least show that I have the original tire.

Funny -- I was expecting a 65 mph tire with a 1-year "mfg defects" warranty, but 75 mph and five years is cool. I doubt I will drive 75 though... I just don't see the need to go over 65!

the warranty against mfg defects has lots of room for them to deny a claim. I just don't know how you would prove a defect, for example in the event of a blow-out. maybe today's TPMS can store logs I don't know but that might be one way. Proper inflation is the key, for sure, and I'm pretty sure a TPMS is in my near future. At least with a TPMS you would have an early warning in the form of rising pressure/temp and you might have an opportunity to slow down or even stop.

too many stories of RV damage due to tires!
Old 06-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is my Alliance 310 RL after my blow out last August (only having the rig for ~5 months).

Name:   blow_out_dmg1.png
Views: 372
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:   blow_out_dmg2.png
Views: 353
Size:  77.0 KB
Total cost of damage was ~850, of which most of it was shipping of the new skirt from Indiana to Spokane WA.

No, I was not aware to fill out the card like Dlleno is currently doing.

This occurred on I-90, about 6 miles east of Ritzville doing ~62mph in ~94 degree August weather.

Ended up replacing all tires with a Les Schwab brand, something that is now easier for me to warranty where I travel.

//KMac
kmac7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:00 PM   #34

dude that is no good. Do you have any clues as to what caused the blow-out? I mean even if you were to submit a claim to lionshead they could always deny it and say that the tire had to inherent defect. thats what concerns me about this "5 year warranty". if you don't have confidence in the tire then it does no good to run them anyway and hope for a mfg warranty. you've got a TPMS though, right? probably you didn't have time to stop or do any other preventative measures. But here's the kicker; "cold" means "tire is at the current ambient temperature". So this could be a moving target -- you fill to 110psi in the morning when its 60 degrees and then by the time you are 200 miles down the road its pushing 100 deg outside and the tire is already over-inflated. Moreover -- heat that tire up to 140 degrees on black pavement and suddenly you have an 80 degree temperature swing.

tell us what Schwab tires you put on -- that place is really common out west and I put all LS tires on my truck now, so that would be a natural transition for me
Old 06-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The guy at Les Schwab said that there was a rapid air loss leading to catastrophic failure. I did not have my GM TPMS sensors in at the time (mainly because they are made for smaller tires and I had not upgraded the stems from .453" to .625 yet).

I check my mirrors often. I did not hear it go, just saw the smoke. Immediately I thought I was on fire and was mentally trying to figure out where the fire extinguisher was (now I have one in the truck). Walked around the PS of the rig and peeked out over the DS when it was safe to do so and saw the smoke was what was left of the tire being "hot". I had to slowly go down the shoulder 2 miles to the Tokio exit.

Les Schwab put on Geostar tires (~$258/tire all in). Something he says he puts on tractor trailers. I also got the GM TPMS sensors in there, however they are lacking. Their max PSI is only 100psi, so basically I am using them as a temperature monitor.

I called Schrader tech support. They are working on a .625" stem 433Mhz TPMS sensor that will work with G-rated tires up to 125psi (actually he did not claim how high, that is what I asked him) and hopefully will be out later this year. Once they come out I will be replacing mine.

All-in-all I got very lucky. That is where the stove/fridge are and I could have had greater problems than just skirting and a wire to activate the brakes on that one side.

I went a little "mental" on weights after that, and have really good numbers per axle and per side (thank you Oregon DOT weigh scales). When we go on our trip in a few weeks, we will make a slight detour and get the final numbers (ie what we weigh we going out for a full week).

//KMac
kmac7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #36

curious how you were able to load the passenger side 'heavy' to compensate for the two slides and kitchen/panty stuff on the DS! Mine is already 700 lbs heavier on the DS, and by the time you load the fridge and the pantry (both of which are on that same side) you have a real challenge to even things up. what are your fully loaded weights ,left vs right? seems like there is plenty of margin built in to the mfg-stated tire specs: Unloaded, I have 5,256 lbs on the left so it would take some serious weight to push that up to the 7,000 lb capacity of the axles (per side) -- and that would still leave 1,800 lbs of margin in the tires (on that side) -- assuming they really can take 4,410 lbs each at 75 mph.

sounds to me like you got bit by a mfg defect in the tire.

In any case this is not something I want to experience! about the only thing I can think of that might advantage this situation is a real-time TPMS that throws an audible alarm in the event of pressure loss. I mean, checking your mirrors frequently is awesome to be sure, but you won't see a visual until its too late.

...and back to the warranty thing. Even with LionsHeads 5 year replacement "in the event of mfg defect" -- there's no way even this scenario you could prove a defect. I mean what caused the pressure loss? the stem could have failed, for example, or the tire itself. But unless you have a TPMS with some sort of logging capability -- to sample pressures and temps every 5 seconds... I just don't see how you could convince LionsHead that this sudden pressure loss was due to a mfg defect.

(so yea I'm activating my LionsHead warranty but I"m not sure it will do me much good!)
Old 06-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #37

We bought our 370fb in January. So far we are loving it! Recently returned from 3000 mile trip with a few problems, but nothing too serious. Went over some rough roads that shook the door separating living area from the bedroom off the rail. Later, found the shower door closer on the floor. Talked with Jennifer at Alliance and had the replacement part waiting when we got home. Everyone I have visited with at Alliance has been extremely helpful.

After a month living in ours (we are fulltime), the mattress broke down. We had one custom built.

We also replaced the door lock early on. Haven't gotten around to the bay locks yet, but will soon.

It is hard to get the weight right, but when we went across the scales, all the numbers were within limits, so decided to leave well enough alone. Our Ram 2500 6.7l diesel pulled it without any issues as well.

If I was a techie, I would start a spot here on IRV2 for Alliance owners.

Russ Bell
2021 Alliance Paradigm 370fb
2021 Ram 2500 6.7l diesel
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:40 AM   #38

Alliance paradigm 370fb

I have a 370 fb for about 8 months now. Overall no major problem but plenty of annoying ones. Let me start: shower drain plumbing was never glued so all the water was dumping into the storage area! It settled in the underbelly enclosure so I had to drill a hole in it to drain it. The flex pipe drain under master sink was clamped too tight so every time the slide was moved it pulled out and subsequently it drained into the storage compartment and bathroom floor as well. Three out of the four tank indicators don’t function properly so they overflow when the indicators don’t show any more than 1/3 full. The black flush check valve was installed backwards so it does not work. The pantry light went out after two weeks. The outside slide light has never worked. The big trim piece over the kitchen slides has fallen off. USB charger on side of bed inoperable. Front door is so tight that it has to be slammed shut hard in order for it to latch. Shower leaks onto the bathroom floor under the pan.
But hey the slides work, the levelers work, and it rolls down the road beautifully
Jetflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #39

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetflash View Post
I have a 370 fb for about 8 months now. Overall no major problem but plenty of annoying ones. Let me start: shower drain plumbing was never glued so all the water was dumping into the storage area! It settled in the underbelly enclosure so I had to drill a hole in it to drain it. The flex pipe drain under master sink was clamped too tight so every time the slide was moved it pulled out and subsequently it drained into the storage compartment and bathroom floor as well. Three out of the four tank indicators don’t function properly so they overflow when the indicators don’t show any more than 1/3 full. The black flush check valve was installed backwards so it does not work. The pantry light went out after two weeks. The outside slide light has never worked. The big trim piece over the kitchen slides has fallen off. USB charger on side of bed inoperable. Front door is so tight that it has to be slammed shut hard in order for it to latch. Shower leaks onto the bathroom floor under the pan.
But hey the slides work, the levelers work, and it rolls down the road beautifully
I honestly don’t think any tank sensor except fresh water is reliable. Gunk gets on the sensors that only a “colonoscopy” could fix but only for one or two uses after cleaning. Black tank, it’s usually toilet paper. Grey tanks get soap gunk stuck on the sensors. This isn’t an Alliance issue but a normal, any manufacturer who uses the black/grey tanks.

Get yourself a wand extension, hook it to a water hose, stick it down your toilet and turn it on, it just might clean the sensors.

Our flush valves were all installed backwards, totally not using the directions. We are fixing them but only because we had to drop the chloroplast down (royal pain), so that also is not brand specific. We also discovered our hydraulic lines were installed funky, totally not the way Lippert recommended.

Ours is a 2017 Heartland.

Sounds like your issues (except for the tank sensors) are warranty issues. As long as you are still enjoying it and you’re fairly handy, nothing is a real deal breaker.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:31 PM   #40

Hopefully better luck with yours than mine, I have a 370fb. First trip discovered the shower plumbing was totally disconnected so it was never glued. All the water just poured into the storage compartment and eventually settled on top of underbelly enclosure. I had to drill a hole to drain it. Master sink flex pipe came apart and leaked all over bathroom floor and also into storage compartment. Shower also leaked onto floor from under the pan. Black tank flush non functional, discovered they installed the check valve backwards. Big trim piece over kitchen slide fell off, pantry light stopped working, outside led under awning never worked. Main entry door has to be slammed hard to latch. Cheap tank indicators malfunctioning constantly. No inverter connected to TVs or outlets.... maybe there is no inverter.
Other than the flooding annoyances no other major problems!
Old 06-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #41

I thought there is only one flush valve, that being the black tanks?
Old 06-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #42

All those water leaks and no mold?
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alliance