Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #1

Question New and Confused

Hello yes New Here , Have not Git my Fifth yet but looking, I know quality vs outlay , but , what Mfg is quality ?
Haleygirl725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleygirl725 View Post
Hello yes New Here , Have not Git my Fifth yet but looking, I know quality vs outlay , but , what Mfg is quality ?

Greetings, and welcome to the forums, Haley!

Keep reading here and you'll find that the squeaky wheel syndrome is in full force; by that we mean folks who are unhappy tend to be much more public about that than the folks who have few or simple problems and are generally happy with their RV purchase and use experiences.

Thor brands tend to show up often in the complaints but Thor and its subsidiaries build about 25% of all RVs of all types sold in the USA, more than any other manufacturer. It's normal they'd be represented at that level. Some brands known for higher quality (Out Doors RV, for example) also have unhappy purchasers and owners so don't let a positive reputation keep you from doing due diligence when shopping for your RV.

Lots of already-posted advice on how to inspect a used or new RV, how do talk to dealers, dealers to avoid (Kamping Wurld's name comes up oftern), avoiding dealer add-on stuff and dealer financing, etc... all of that is in the treasure trove of iRV2 and can be found by using the little search box on each page (near the upper right corner of the page).

And there are plenty of good folks here to help you with things your search doesn't find, or can help with fresher answer and more recent experiences.

Safe travels and good luck to you, and again welcome to the forums.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:02 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Welcome from North Central Arkansas. Agree totally with the above. Very happy with my Cedar Creek, but all fivers need some work.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:07 PM   #4

Before I purchased my Class A DP I had a Heartland Cyclone toy hauler. Not many problems and Heartland has a pretty good reputation. I see a lot of Montana 5ers on the road. They all use the same guts, Norco or Dometic refer, Atwood or Sunbeam water heater, Shurflo water pump etc so the difference is in the quality of the interior finish. Find a floor plan you like and go from there.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haleygirl725 View Post

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of folks here to share their knowledge with you. Each forum page has a "search" window at the top. Type in your area of interest and there will be lots already discussed for you to read about fifth wheel quality and manufacturers. All the best.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Northwood | Northwood Manufacturing

Very good quality.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #7

For the most part all trailers are built quickly and shoved out the door. The employees are paid by the piece meaning quality also goes out the door in the name of a fatter pay check.

Whatever new trailer you buy, it will have some bugs in it. You can fix them yourself fairly quickly or you can let your RV sit at the dealer for a few months waiting on parts. Your choice.

Some people have few problems and some have many. It's a gamble. Just make sure you go over every inch of the trailer before you take delivery and ensure it all works to your satisfaction.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #8

Welcome to IRV2. Check out RV.org. They rate RVs and have the most complete information on the selection and buying process. Good RV hunting.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:17 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:10 AM   #10

Lightbulb New and confused

Thank you all for the Welcome and input I’ll let you know when, I’m not confused
Haleygirl725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:48 AM   #11

You may want to consider smaller for your first one. Several manufacturers put out small 5th wheels supposedly rated for a 150/1500 truck. They can be as small as 26'. This smaller size would make it much easier to handle. I really like Grand Design and Winebago Minnie Plus. There are cheaper ones by Cougar as well.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #12

Don't believe any manufacturer stating half-ton towable or such. Lite, x-light, etc means under built and flimsy. Additionally while they may technically be towable by a 1/2T truck, no one buyes a basic Ford F-150 or Ram/GM 1500 that is regular cab, 2WD, bottom line trim (XL/WT/etc.) with the exact power train combination stated by the truck makers. Get you nicely appointed Ford F-150 Lariat crew cab, 4WD, with sun roof and all the amenities and it will barely be rated to tow a small boat.

Lots of reading in that area on this, and other, forum/s.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #13

Bear in mind that RV manufactures likely have the worse quality control program and procedures than any industry in the sector.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #14

Hello Haley and welcome. If you are new to RVing you are probably not aware that you will not get the perfect rig the first time. Doesn't matter how long you look. A big reason is that you don't know what you REALLY want or need. More importantly is the fact that you don't know what you don't know. But we are always happy to offer help so don't be scared. First, buy used. Find a consignment lot or if you watch the news papers you will be absolutely amazed at the number for sale that were only used 3 times. Someone bought those rigs and never asked the wife about camping before hand.

Next make a list of what you think you want or need and how you plan to use it (Full timer, boondocking, weekend camping trips etc). That is a good starting place. With these answers we can provide more help.
And remember to have fun.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse