Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 03:43 PM   #1

New Fiberglass Panels Needed

Our 2001 Arctic Fox has warped fiberglass panels on the front and back. We have had water leakage on the top corners where the fiberglass rolls on to the roof. It has been a minor issue for awhile, but we thought we finally had it fixed.

We moved from California to Bozeman Montana in October. We were not able to bring the trailer at that time, but on a recent visit to CA I noticed the problem we thought we had fixed is not. The warping seems to be continuing, and the seams are splitting open.

Now we are trying to get it to Montana before the winter so we can take care of it. What is the best way to take of this? Is it something we should take to an Arctic Fox dealership (we don't have one in town), or can any RV dealership/shop fix it? BTW if you happen to know of a great place in Bozeman, let me know!

Thank you for your input!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	101083  
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #2

Hi Clay,
It appears that the root cause of this is there's been no preventative maintenance done. It's important to check all the caulk lines on your rig (including the roof) a couple times a year especially if you're traveling in it.

You may want to first prevent any further damage by re-sealing any cracked or broken caulk lines with something like Geocell Proflex. It comes in White or Clear 10 oz. tubes and if you need a lot of it, also comes in a gallon can which is brushable. But you need to clean & prep the surface if you want this to last.

On an RV that's that is this old, rebuilding this would be very costly and probably not your best option.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #3

We have done some upkeep, but definitely not twice a year. In October we resealed the roof, the windows and the corners of the roof. The corners seem to be area we have continual problems with.
I have not gotten an estimate for the work yet. Are there other fixes that someone would recommend? The entire front and back panel are warped pretty bad. If this is only cosmetic, we could live with it. I just figured the warping is causing the caulk to pull away. I don't know if how well this photo shows it, but it's pretty wavy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	101970  
Old 09-22-2015, 08:25 AM   #4

Hi, I have a 2008 40' Landmark fifth wheel.I bought in July.The other day next to the hitch, I saw a bubble in the fiberglass, I pushed on it, water came out the hitch light. Need all kinds of help. Should the dealership fix this? If not will insurance pay to fix? Do I pay out of pocket? Can I fix it myself ? I'am on a seasonal site. I have know way of taking this trailer to dealership unless I hire a truck. Need some good advice.
Greenwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:02 AM   #5

Give the factory guys a call. See what they say. On your drive from CA to MT, you could drive right by the Arctic Fox factory in Oregon.
Shakerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

That's exactly what we did. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #7

Greenwater,
Check with the dealership about a warranty. Insurance will not cover it. Small fixes can be done DIY. Google RV delamination and see what comes up. Please learn from our mistake and do it before it gets out of hand. More importantly - find out where that water is coming from and fix that leak. And again, learn from our mistake, and do regular maintenance on all seams. Good luck.

Tags
panel