Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #1

New from Sacramento. I have a question about pin boxes

We just bought a new 2016 Bay hill 5th wheel, it seams we have a problem with hooking into the pin box, the problem is that the is to high above the hitch plate in the truck bed, we leveled the 5th wheel and then backed under the hitch we found that the pin box is 2.5 above the hitch plate, after measuring in pin box to the ground 55.5 inches our truck rail from the ground is 55 inches, our hitch is at the max height of 19" from the bed floor, (we where told that the hitch is to high and in safe.) when looking at the pin box to make an adjustment there is no way to adjust. has anyone seen this before and what can we do to resolve.
thanks
Brussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #2

The proper way to hook up is for the pin to be about 1 inch lower than the hitch plate, then as you back under it, the pin weight will compress the truck's suspension. It doesn't matter if the trailer is level or not during hook up, once the full pin weight is on the truck, then you will see how level the trailer is sitting. The other big concern is having sufficient space between the top of the truck bed sides and the underside of the trailer, it needs to be a minimum of 6 inches.

Your info is very confusing to me at least, almost everyone has a problem with newer trucks sitting too high, but you seem to be describing the opposite which is hard to understand. Maybe some pictures would help others assist you. Especially what pin box is on the trailer? Historically, the normal pin height on a level trailer is around 48 inches, so your 55.5 inches doesn't seem right.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club

Glad to have you here in the forum with us.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 02-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps a little more information would be helpful, or a photo of your pin box. What make / model of tow vehicle are you using? With today's modern trucks having one sit too low seems rare. Has it been modified? Generally there is adjustment in the bolt patterns of the pin box and the frame pin head configuration. Others may have a better understanding of your issue.

Best wishes.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
The proper way to hook up is for the pin to be about 1 inch lower than the hitch plate, then as you back under it, the pin weight will compress the truck's suspension. It doesn't matter if the trailer is level or not during hook up, once the full pin weight is on the truck, then you will see how level the trailer is sitting. The other big concern is having sufficient space between the top of the truck bed sides and the underside of the trailer, it needs to be a minimum of 6 inches.

Your info is very confusing to me at least, almost everyone has a problem with newer trucks sitting too high, but you seem to be describing the opposite which is hard to understand. Maybe some pictures would help others assist you. Especially what pin box is on the trailer? Historically, the normal pin height on a level trailer is around 48 inches, so your 55.5 inches doesn't seem right.
X2 this is correct. Makes no difference if you are level when you hook up. After hook up and lowering the pinbox on the hitch-all weight off front legs of 5ver you now want to be level and have proper clearance between truck bed rails and 5ver. 6" or better is good. If not level you may have to make some adjustments to get it level for a good towing experience. Hope this helps. Good luck.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! I'm sure some of the 5er guys on here will answer all your questions! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
YC1

Welcome to the forum. We are previously from Yuba City. There is some beautiful places to camp nearby.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brussie View Post
We just bought a new 2016 Bay hill 5th wheel, it seams we have a problem with hooking into the pin box, the problem is that the is to high above the hitch plate in the truck bed, we leveled the 5th wheel and then backed under the hitch we found that the pin box is 2.5 above the hitch plate, after measuring in pin box to the ground 55.5 inches our truck rail from the ground is 55 inches, our hitch is at the max height of 19" from the bed floor, (we where told that the hitch is to high and in safe.) when looking at the pin box to make an adjustment there is no way to adjust. has anyone seen this before and what can we do to resolve.
thanks
Did you buy from Pan Pacific? I noticed one of the 2 they had were gone.
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #9

new in sacramento

thanks for all of the input, I have resolved the problem, it turns out that the coach was not leveled correct at the dealer, so we went I re leveled the coach with levels, and they reset the programmer, we go to find out that out truck and hitch is to high, so we are good to go.
thanks
again
Old 02-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #10

yes we did by the Bay Hill at Pan Pacific, it a very nice coach, we have not been able to take it out as of yet,
Old 02-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
So if it is common for the pin box to be too high with the newer trucks, what is the solution to level towing? I'm planning on purchasing a yet to be determined 5th wheel and a new F350. According to the specs I'm reading the bed will be 38" above the ground and, allowing an additional 17" for the pin box, I would be well above the 48 inches reported as the normal pin height on new trailers. I can't believe the truck will settle sufficiently to make this all level. Your guidance please....
dpgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 AM   #12

Newer trucks are certainly taller than older ones, but most new fifth wheels should match up fine. Match the truck with the fiver....i.e. Trying to use a 350 to tow a lightweight half ton towable fiver usually leads to issues (I tried it once and my truck was way too high). By adjusting the hitch and the pin box, and having 2-3k on the pin you should be good (16 inch tires on the fiver and g rated tires would be a good indicator of a possible match)
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:40 PM   #13

Here is our Grand Design Solitude 16K 40 1/2' on our 2017 F350 DRW. I didn't have any issues with the truck being to tall.

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...dd560c1444.jpg

2017 F 350, Bronze Fire, King Ranch Ulitmate
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic204267_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Wolffox00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #14

Take your trailer back to the dealer and have them fix the problem for you.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote