Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #1

New Horizon vs Excel?

Seems like New Horizon and Excel are among the premium, full timer..."residential" style 5th wheel RVs?? They also appear to be among the more expensive...which is logical

Curious how you who may be knowledgable of these choices would compare the two...and what other 5ers might be either comparable or maybe superior??

Don't hear as much re; the New Horizon (even on the New Horizon IRV2 site)...perhaps because it is a pretty low volume company?

Maybe some of you considered both and could share your reasons for choosing whichever one you ended up with.

Thanks...Tom R...just a wannabe :}
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Tom,

We've been living full time in our 2011 Excel 33RSE Limited for a little over a year now and we are totally happy with it. There have been some posts in the past regarding problems with Excel. I'm sure there have been problems, no manufacturer has a perfect record. Peterson Industries recently implemented a new Quality Assurance program. I can't speak for anyone else's Excel, but we've had zero problems with our coach, not even during the -17 F temps we experienced this past winter! We didn't consider the New Horizons (I don't remember why), so I can't comment on that product. We researched our decision for almost a year before ordering our Excel. One of the big plus's with the Excel was the fact that the #1 Excel Dealer (RV Sales New Mexico) is not far from us. We couldn't travel to other manufacturers (we both work full time). Some of the manufacturers only sell direct (no dealers), so the Excel got a much higher ranking. We have no doubt that we made the right decision to purchase an Excel.
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
D&J

You may also want to look at HitchHiker (Nu-Wa), all three are Kansas based companies. We have looked at both New Horizons and Excel in the past and they are quality units but we have always liked our HH better.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I think New Horizons are all custom built. As a result, there are not many on the road, but they are very well made and one of the few that advertise they ARE four season rated. I've never owned one but we have some friends who love theirs...New Horizons RV | Luxury Full Time RV & Custom Fifth Wheels
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I think New Horizons are all custom built. As a result, there are not many on the road, but they are very well made and one of the few that advertise they ARE four season rated. I've never owned one but we have some friends who love theirs...New Horizons RV | Luxury Full Time RV & Custom Fifth Wheels
Excel also advertises they are four season rated, in fact is the only manufacturer I am aware of that guarentees their coach to withstand 10 below temps (why someone would want to be in those temps by choice is beyond me).

From what I've seen, you would do fine with any of the three coaches talked about here-Hitchhiker, Excel, or New Horizon as full time rigs. Teton was also a full-time rig, but didn't survive the recession.

I think floor plans and affordability end up being personal issues that probably enter in more than anything else. New Horizon probably does the most customizing as I understand it, you can essentially build from the ground up. But with that being said, Excel does do a ton of customizing, essentially building to order within the various floor plans.

We will definately take a look at all three again when/if we decide to buy a new one. When we began full-timing, we looked at all three, and ended up with Excel. The Hitchhiker we looked at just didn't match up with fit and finish as the Excel (and maybe that was just a model that got out the door that shouldn't have). We were dealing with the factory on New Horizon, but at the end of the day they just couldn't (or wouldn't) give us the trade in value on the Cedar Creek we thought we should have. and we really liked the Excel.

We have not been problem free. But on the positive side, the factory/ service center has provided excellent service, and all of our issues were taken care of at no cost to us under the warranty. And now after a few more years experience and visiting with people, I think anyone who claims their is a problem free coach is living in la la land.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
We have not been problem free. But on the positive side, the factory/ service center has provided excellent service, and all of our issues were taken care of at no cost to us under the warranty. And now after a few more years experience and visiting with people, I think anyone who claims their is a problem free coach is living in la la land.
Not claiming that ours has been absolutely trouble-free, but in the 7 years since we bought it the 5th wheel has NEVER been back to Howe, IN and has been to the dealer only twice:

1. Broken gear in slideout drive. The entire drive assembly was replaced under warranty by Doubletree and has given no further problems.

2. Failed Dometic refrigerator cooling unit. The unit was replaced and recall(s) performed by the dealer under warranty and has given no further problems.

All other maintenance and minor repairs have been handled by me.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
if you buy a new horizon new it will be built custom to your desires or needs,most people look at the floorplan as the most important thing to consider,really you should be more concerned in the way a unit is built from the floor up,the new horizon and excel are the only 5ers that are built to be able to hold a hydraulic lift for a harley,which adds about 1000lbs to the back of the trailer,these are both very high quality rigs,even if you decide on a used one,i researched in great detail both of these mgfs.and am really impressed with both.as far as price,they both,in my opinion a better value new or used,than most of the really pricy rigs,sometimes a name will fool you.holiday rambler used to be a real fine unit,but a friend of mine and i looked at one the other day and i was shocked how the quality has been reduced and the price hasnt.whatever unit you get just do the research on the company
preston56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Not claiming that ours has been absolutely trouble-free, but in the 7 years since we bought it the 5th wheel has NEVER been back to Howe, IN and has been to the dealer only twice:

1. Broken gear in slideout drive. The entire drive assembly was replaced under warranty by Doubletree and has given no further problems.

2. Failed Dometic refrigerator cooling unit. The unit was replaced and recall(s) performed by the dealer under warranty and has given no further problems.

All other maintenance and minor repairs have been handled by me.

Rusty
I probably should have been clearer. We simply had repairs done at the factory by choice, as we are full-timers and have never been back to the dealer we bought from. The factory is set up with plug ins, cable tv, showers and an owners lounge, and they take the rig in and bring it out at night if you need to stay overnight. It works well for us.
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #9

Just out of curiosity what type of likely "maintenance" and/or repairs or updates would be probable on a 2002/2003 New Horizon (or other high quality 5er) assuming a "responsible" prior owner.

example could be tires which may be likely at that age. What about other items that start to need attention at 7-8 years of age...again assuming good care.

What about axels...?

I would plan on having manufacturer take a good look at the vehicle and make an assessment of what should be done.

Comments welcome...

My current thinking is that there are some very nice early to mid 2000s premium 5ers out there that can be purchased for a fraction of new. As a first time RV owner I would like to lower front end "risk" while still having the benefits of the premium 5ers...could eventually by new/newer IF we discover the RV lifestyle is something that works well for us.

Thanks...all the feedback and info is truly helpful...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:37 PM   #10

we owned an excel for 4 years before purchasing out mobile suite in 08. we had problems with the slide motors on all the slides and the front landing gear. they have now gone to hydralic slides so don't know the history on that. the unit was a good unit other than the slide motors and our last experience at the service center was not very good. we ordered our mobile suite and had several changes made. they are very good about making any changes you want. don't be hesitant to ask if something can be done. they will not change size or location of slides but inside they will do about anything you want. we like the 3 1/2" walls as it makes it quieter inside and helps with the cooling and heating. we are full time and have had only minor fixes in the 3 years on the road. we recently took it to the factory for some minor work as the warranty expired. they did all the fixes and a couple things they noticed for no charge. i understand you can order you unit from a dealer and pick it up at the factory as an option. we looked at the hitchiker which was priced near the mobile suite price but the cabinetry wood was wrapped and not solid as in the suite. if you get chance, do a factory tour at mobile suite. they do a very good tour.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
excel