Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2021, 07:53 AM   #43

Billett

Watch the tail swing and approach/departure angles. That's a lot of overhang from the back axle to the rear end on the Luxe 48 toy hauler. Can't tell from the Luxe website what they use as drag guards but likely not the rollers that NH uses. NH toy haulers have a slant to the bottom of the trailer from the axle to the tail specifically to help with not dragging the tail end.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Billett

Watch the tail swing and approach/departure angles. That's a lot of overhang from the back axle to the rear end on the Luxe 48 toy hauler. Can't tell from the Luxe website what they use as drag guards but likely not the rollers that NH uses. NH toy haulers have a slant to the bottom of the trailer from the axle to the tail specifically to help with not dragging the tail end.
not sure about the slant in the frame but yes they have rollers as standard
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-gypsy View Post
Billett Bee -

No, not trying to run you off. Just trying to understand what you want. However, I think I have.

Your answer is in your signature line. You have ordered a 48' Luxe toyhauler. You have ordered, or are ordering, it so changing to a NH is out of the question. You are looking for information to assure you have made the right decision. Boy! I've been there and done the same thing! I cannot assure you that you have made the right decision, only you can. But, as you have "ordered" the Luxe 48FB, there are other considerations.

You have a Dodge 3500 nicely equipped. However, a NH toyhauler spec'ed out the same as the Luxe 48FB would be REAL heavy (that doesn't include any customization you might want with NH). Just look at Big Red! (Chris, where are you?) You would definitely need a HDT. However, I leave that discussion to you and Jack Mayer. As is, you have ordered a 26,000 pound delivered fifth wheel toyhauler. Once you add, what - one or two motorcycles? A 4-seater Polaris RZR? A Smart Car? Plus your full-time living "things" - clothing, groceries, kitchen stuff, etc. - you will be well in excess of 30,000 pounds. Though it appears you have a nicely equipped Dodge 3500, your Luxe will have exceeded it's capacity. The smaller brakes on the 3500 are a real problem. Leave plenty of stopping room! Your questions are not if ordering a Luxe was a right thing to do compared to a NH. The real question is what to upgrade your wheels to! A well equipped Dodge 5500? A HDT?

Just my two cents,
Ron
I tried to mention being over-weight issue but billet is not concerned. I was a bit surprised as my advice comes as a former insurance investigator knowing how claims are denied but billet apparently knows all the answers.
Old 04-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampbell View Post
I tried to mention being over-weight issue but billet is not concerned. I was a bit surprised as my advice comes as a former insurance investigator knowing how claims are denied but billet apparently knows all the answers.
That's not true what so ever. I dont know it all but thanks for the compliment. I to use to file insurance claims, fileing them, investigating them, and being able to follow the whole process during and years after the incidents being determined. I'm not calling you a know it all as I believe you have experienced your own cases just as well as I have. What your referring to is in such the minority of investigations is not worth my time to take into consideration. Can anything happen , of coarse it can and it will and I'm sure a insurance investigator somewhere is going to say, Hey lets figure out how much the pay load was in that vehicle and if he was 500lbs over weight, I'm going to string him up, hey everybody go out there and pick up each piece of debris off the road so we can figure out the vehicle payload weight. Then determine how much fluids were lost because you know that's 8lbs a gallon, and don't let that material blow away that's scattered all over an 80 mph rd.
Yes it can happen, but not likely. All there going to do if they do anything at all if weight is in question is weigh under each axle or wrecker the truck trailer combo too a scale to get the total gcw.
So again, axle weights and gcw when in combination is all that's normally checked in regards to weight. 9 times out of ten, the only time the gvw is going to be checked is when your involved in an accident without a trailer. Apparently you and i have experienced different followings our entire lives and that's ok. I'm also sure your not a know it all, nor am I.
To also say I'm not concerned about being overweight, that's simply false as well. I'm concerned about the weights that are monitored the most, axle weight primarily. Then axle weight and gvw when vehicle is by itself or axle weights and gcw when vehicle is hauling a trailer. I put alot of energy in staying legal under each axle at all times, gvw when by my self, and gcw while towing. So if your trying to say that billet is worried about the weights that have a high percentage of being monitored and is not worried about payload weight being over by a few hundred lbs while towing a fiver, then your right and i agree with you, but it more sounds like your implying that im not concerned about weight in general.
Most everybody out there who drives a truck and hauls heavy knows that there able to stay legal most of the way all around truck and trailer and the very first number to be over a manufacturers specs is the payload capacity. Also most folks that drive a truck and haul heavy are not concerned about the payload number simply because it just doesn't factor in the majority of times. They try to keep there axles weights legal, enjoy life , drive safe and roll with it.
Again so everybody knows, I'm not a know it all nor claim to be, nor would I claim anybody else to be a know it all.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 05-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #47

I have a 2017 luxe and have not had any issues with condensation in hot or cold weather. The coach stays comfortably cool in the hot summer heat. I've only had it in freezing Temps once and I was completely warm inside with the furnaces running. No condensation issues at all.
Dbl0svn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl0svn View Post
I have a 2017 luxe and have not had any issues with condensation in hot or cold weather. The coach stays comfortably cool in the hot summer heat. I've only had it in freezing Temps once and I was completely warm inside with the furnaces running. No condensation issues at all.
Awesome, does yours have the single 40k btu furnace or the duel 35k btu furnaces. Also how many a/c units are you running and was luxe doing the duel pane windows on the 17 models?
Old 05-17-2021, 09:10 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Awesome, does yours have the single 40k btu furnace or the duel 35k btu furnaces. Also how many a/c units are you running and was luxe doing the duel pane windows on the 17 models?
I have a 39FB. It has two furnaces. It has two Dometic Blizzard II, 15K BTU A/C's with heat pumps. I believe that it has the dual pane windows, but I would have to check that to be sure.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:13 PM   #50

Quote:
I have a 39FB. It has two furnaces. It has two Dometic Blizzard II, 15K BTU A/C's with heat pumps. I believe that it has the dual pane windows, but I would have to check that to be sure.
Vey nice. That's sounds good to my ears then. We just submitted our 48fb build a month ago and we got the arctic pkg with the duel 35k furnaces but we optioned in a 3rd 15k a/c with all 3 having heat pumps.
Do you have the soft wall's and ceiling? I know that they look amazing but do you feel like they make a sound quality differance, if you have them.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:13 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
Vey nice. That's sounds good to my ears then. We just submitted our 48fb build a month ago and we got the arctic pkg with the duel 35k furnaces but we optioned in a 3rd 15k a/c with all 3 having heat pumps.
Do you have the soft wall's and ceiling? I know that they look amazing but do you feel like they make a sound quality differance, if you have them.
We have the Arctic package also. When we bought ours the padded walls and ceiling were standard on our model. It was a big selling point to my wife. Our coach is really quiet inside. I guess the padded walls help with that plus all of the batt insulation.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #52

Quote:
We have the Arctic package also. When we bought ours the padded walls and ceiling were standard on our model. It was a big selling point to my wife. Our coach is really quiet inside. I guess the padded walls help with that plus all of the batt insulation.
Very nice Intel, I appreciate the reasurement on our choices. Its comforting knowing that you made the right choices. We wanted the soft wall's and ceiling for the estetechs homie feel but mainly for the extra sound proofing as we absolutely hate neighbor noise.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:01 AM   #53

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampbell View Post

I have a 2021 42RL Luxe Elite. Pulling it with a 2019 F350 dually. Payload on the truck is around 6500. Pin weight on the Luxe is around 5500. Now we all know the pin weight is with the trailer completely empty. You can adjust your pin weight by how you load the heavy items forward or rearward. Also to lighten the load on the pin fill the fresh water tank since it behind the axles. I only carry about 25 gallons of water and do not have the front mounted geni. My F350 does not squat out of level at all. I know I am not overweight.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:44 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I have a 2021 42RL Luxe Elite. Pulling it with a 2019 F350 dually. Payload on the truck is around 6500. Pin weight on the Luxe is around 5500. Now we all know the pin weight is with the trailer completely empty. You can adjust your pin weight by how you load the heavy items forward or rearward. Also to lighten the load on the pin fill the fresh water tank since it behind the axles. I only carry about 25 gallons of water and do not have the front mounted geni. My F350 does not squat out of level at all. I know I am not overweight.
ALL great points brotha SCHROD. Mine will be the same way, no genny or extra battery systems up front and I having the 100G fresh tank moved rearward an extra 6' from its normal location. Plus I never travel with liquids in grey or black and only 1/4 tank of fresh for rest area bathroom stops, haha. I will be putting heavy tools toward the rear so if anything the pin weight won't be hurt but helped. Just like if we ever get a 1900lb smart car. Bit sure on that yet. Most folks say that all that weight behind the tri axles actuelly helps there pin weight but definitly don't hurt it.
Bottom line is, it's all just a weight ( numbers) moving game. Something all commercial truck drivers no how to manipulate.
Old 05-19-2021, 05:36 PM   #55

Wow, thx everybody...

...on this Luxe/NH thread, re insulation & pin weight, etc
I now know even better how MUCH MORE I DON’T know....& NEED to study up more on re. truck/probably 3500 or 4500RAM with Cummins IL 6, & probably Luxe 42 Elite, unless it seems I need to get a beefier “puller” if GCWR <28K +-?

Keep it going, you’re friendly repartee is truly helpful for newcomers like us, kudos !
futurefivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:13 AM   #56

Just to toss a little New Horizons into the thread again, we just picked up our 2nd New Horizons 5th wheel and couldn't be more happy with the rig. Another great job done by a great team.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luxe