Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keystone seems to like to rotate not-so-good tire brands. You can check failure rates on NHTSA, but in my tin-foil-hat, I think tires get rebranded to avoid racking up failure statistics.

Sailun is the brand you want. You can get them in 235/80-R16. Expect $140-$170 each and they'll pay for themselves 6x by preventing that first blow-out. You will have to order them. They weigh 100% more than your factory tires.

Overloading and overspeed ARE issues, but there is a real problem with many of these OEM tires.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #16

IMO, The GY Marathon's that came on my 5'er never failed but, were replaced in a very timely manner. LR E was not adequate for the weight of my T S <15K, I've had very good luck with the Sailun 235/80-R16, LR-G 14 ply on that trailer. The spare still had the little nubs on it.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:56 PM   #17

At this point, have to agree on the Sailuns--I have 10 of them between my 450 and Suites. Fixing to head to Alaska and I will give them a hard workout. Last time I headed to AK, had to stop in SLC and replace 4 Michelins due to tread separations--not going to pay 2 1/4 times extra for the name again--that is, if these Sailuns hold up to the 15000 mile trip. May have to eat this later...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:56 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
At this point, have to agree on the Sailuns--I have 10 of them between my 450 and Suites. Fixing to head to Alaska and I will give them a hard workout. Last time I headed to AK, had to stop in SLC and replace 4 Michelins due to tread separations--not going to pay 2 1/4 times extra for the name again--that is, if these Sailuns hold up to the 15000 mile trip. May have to eat this later...
Joe
I ended up getting the Michelin Ribs, good looking tire and sold the ones that were on there for $50 each. I do hope they last because they are spendy. Thanks for all the comments. Great site for really good info.
roothoss1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #19

Good choice, now you can relax a little more towing with a proven tire.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:19 PM   #20

Speaking from experience...
Our Jayco Eagle came with Ranier 235/80R16. Ran those last year for about 2k miles. Removed them this spring to pack wheel bearings. Three had serious side wall bubbles inside. Dumped the Raniers and bought new HP rims and Sailun S637's G rated 14 ply. Just came back from Vegas and they pulled like a dream. Glad to see you dumped them. Accident waiting to happen in my opinion
Old 05-16-2016, 11:40 PM   #21

I've had a Keystone Everest that I bought used and a Voltage that I bought new. First thing I did with both trailers was dump the Chinese tires and put on Michelin LT's. Haven't had a single tire issue.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #22
IC2

We have a bit larger version of your 5er - and the tires were replaced with LTs after a short previous season. I put Generals on after having good luck with them on a previous 5er though might have considered Sailuns for about the same cost had I seen a few more favorable reports at the time. The interesting thing about Sailuns is that they are made by TBC, the same company that makes the infamous Tow Max 'bombs' (Welcome to TBC Brands).
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
The interesting thing about Sailuns is that they are made by TBC, the same company that makes the infamous Tow Max 'bombs' (Welcome to TBC Brands).
They're not made by TBC, they're imported by TBC. Sailuns are made in China and I'd have reservations myself, if I hadn't read so many good things about them. OEM Trailer King tires weighted 35 lbs. Sailun's weighed 61 lbs.

In this circumstance, TBC is actually a good thing as they own a bunch of different "American" companies - like NTB (and other big brands) - so you've got a place to go if there are warranty issues, versus some import company with a website.

Personally, I don't like TBC as a company - I think they ruined some things that they bought, but they do have a big US presence and real stores that you can get to.

Also note, some "American" tires have China based DOT codes. China can produce decent product, they just can't produce decent product and sell it at bottom of the market prices and expect it to last.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:03 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
Our Jayco Eagle came with Ranier 235/80R16. Ran those last year for about 2k miles. Removed them this spring to pack wheel bearings. Three had serious side wall bubbles inside. Dumped the Raniers and bought new HP rims and Sailun S637's G rated 14 ply. Just came back from Vegas and they pulled like a dream. Glad to see you dumped them. Accident waiting to happen in my opinion

Is it necessary to change the rims also when changing out the tires? I just bought a Jayco fifth wheel also with Raniers. One blew out 30 miles or so into my trip home from the dealer. May not have actually been a blowout though as I see evidence of a nail or screw that was imprinted onto the tread. But it did go flat and shredded as I pulled to a safe place to have it changed out.

Thanks
Airbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 AM   #25

If your rims are 16" and rated for 80psi, and you upgrade to correct Sailun--no, you won't have to change rims. If you opt for a higher pressure tire, then you have to make sure the rims are rated for the higher pressure.
If Widows Son had the 80psi tires (believe he did) then he probably just wanted new rims. Getting rims and tires as a package makes the changeover simpler, albeit about $1k higher. Besides, who wants brand new tires on grungy, dingey old wheels.....
Joe
Old 05-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sailun's are rated for 110 psi, but can be run at 80, although you'll decrease their load capacity. To get the full capacity out of the tires, you need 110psi capable rims and valve stems.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
Jayco knows and they offer Maxxis as an option. And thanks for posting your experience.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #28

If Jayco 'knows' and they continue to offer the Rainiers, with an option to upgrade--doesn't speak well of them.
Jayco has had a good rep over the years, doesn't seem right they would offer known bad tires, then charge for an upgrade.
Somewhere on this forum posts is mention of the name carousel on Chinese tires--that they use a name til the rep starts to downgrade, then just change the name.
So far, Maxxis and Sailun seem to be holding up--I have 10 Sailuns between my 450 and the trailer. Will let you know in Sept how they do going to AK and back.
Joe
Joe

Tags
montana, tires