Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc12 View Post
I had the MORryde IS & disk brakes installed on my Open Range 3X 388RKS before we went on an Alaska Tour in 2019. What a difference in the ride and stopping. The time they take to measure the height and what they have to do to have a level ride is great. Be glad you did not arrive early and stay in the over night hook up area, ALL NIGHT one train after another about every 20 minutes. I towed the trailer over 17,000 miles on our trip out West and to Alaska.

Doc

Big difference; MORryde axle on left and factory axles on right
The MORryde axel is a Torx (Torsion) Axel not a spring axle
Doc,
Whenever I hit a hump in the road (kind of like when crossing a bridge) I get some bouncing that is kind of like porpoising (a rocking motion where the front of the rig will dip and the rear will rise). It isn't sever, and it settles after what seems like a few of the rocking motions. Of course, bigger humps - bigger rocking. On our last trip we crossed a railroad and it was a pretty good bounce, so much so that a lot of cloths fell off cloths rod in the front closet (hangers and all).

Do you think the IS removes most of this rocking/porpoising/bounding motion?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc12 View Post
I had the MORryde IS & disk brakes installed on my Open Range 3X 388RKS before we went on an Alaska Tour in 2019. What a difference in the ride and stopping. The time they take to measure the height and what they have to do to have a level ride is great. Be glad you did not arrive early and stay in the over night hook up area, ALL NIGHT one train after another about every 20 minutes. I towed the trailer over 17,000 miles on our trip out West and to Alaska.

Doc

Big difference; MORryde axle on left and factory axles on right
The MORryde axel is a Torx (Torsion) Axel not a spring axle

Looks like those axle are going to make a dent in the trailer carrying capacity.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
Looks like those axle are going to make a dent in the trailer carrying capacity.
the extra weight is Unsprung weight so it does not effect your tow capacity.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
Doc,
Whenever I hit a hump in the road (kind of like when crossing a bridge) I get some bouncing that is kind of like porpoising (a rocking motion where the front of the rig will dip and the rear will rise). It isn't sever, and it settles after what seems like a few of the rocking motions. Of course, bigger humps - bigger rocking. On our last trip we crossed a railroad and it was a pretty good bounce, so much so that a lot of cloths fell off cloths rod in the front closet (hangers and all).

the IS will remove all of the bumps in the road that you feel when the trailer goes over bumps or railroad tracks
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Quote:

Like I stated earlier we picked up our Road Warrior up on October 30, 2020 and are now sitting in Medina Lakes (NW of San Antonio). So the mileage we have pulled is a small sample size. From Elkhart, Ind to Medina Lakes we have put around 1400 miles on it, compared to 12,000 miles prior to the install. But the difference is extreme. It does take out allot of the bouncing over railroad tracks and rough roads, for us. The ride in the Ram is greatly improved as well.
As far as the addition in the weight, our tech Serigo told me it added around 400 lbs for the tri-axle a little under 300 for a dual axle rig. One modification Serigo had to do on our rig was cut the drain pipe for the rear gray water tank. It ran were the rear assembly needed to be installed. So when we get to Arizona I will need to reconfigure the drain line pathway.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Doc,

The truck bounces more than the trailer does now!
Old 11-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #21

Quote:

Was about 300 Lbs added to the weight of the trailer but well worth it.
I had 8K axles put on instead of 7K.
Did fine for the 17,000+ miles I towed it out West, Canada & Alaska in 2019.

Doc
Old 11-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #22

Quote:
YES , however they don't have any of the issues with broken spring , broken spring hanger , broken wet bolts like what the OEM gives us when there new.

I had 8000 lb IS installed back in spring of 2018 , I had 7000lb axles from Redwood. My trailer gross weight rating is 16500lbs and these trailer with not one piece of gear or cloths weight 14300 lbs , true almost 3000lb of that was on the pin box. I had about 12,000 to 13,000 miles on the trailer at that time and the spring where flat and I pulled into Morryde with a broke wet bolt on the rear passenger side spring hanger. the spring was riding on the frame for possible 1/2 a day or 300 miles , It wasn't like that on my last walk around in western Ohio. Since then I have had zero issue and a lot smoother ride in the truck and trailer. We leave the coffee maker and the toaster on the kitchen counter and never see it move and inch after 500 miles of bumpy New England roads. The cabinets door all stay closed and it doesn't look like there was an earth quake in the trailer when we stop for the day.

100% sure I would have it installed in my next heavy 5th wheel if it isn't in it when I buy it ( I would not wait ).

Disk brakes , You Bet ~ Its a must at this weight if your going to travel anywhere and not worry about stopping in a panic. My stock drums where a joke compared to disk brakes.

Tags
suspension

« Orv f26rks | Help »