RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2020, 03:01 PM   #1

New MORryde Independent Suspension

Well as I am writing this the Road Warrior is sitting in Morryde getting the new Independent Suspension(IS) installed under her. We took her in Tuesday at around noon and after they finished measuring things I backed her into the work bay, unhooked and then headed to the motel.
We could had stayed in the rig at night, but during the work hours we have to be out of the rig and the building. With the weather being highs in the 40's for Tuesday/Wednesday we decided a motel would be the best.

One issue that came up when they were doing the initial measurements was the rear was 5" higher than the nose. The top measurements were as follows:
front AC - 13'
middle AC - 13'3"
rear AC - 13'5"
but the truck was level and I still had 5" between the bedrails and the 5th wheel. So we decided to check and the hitch was on the lowest mounting hole, so they raised it up 2 bolt holes for a total of 4" in height difference. I could never tell the rig was not level as it pulled great and the Ram did not squat more then 3-4" when hooked up.
So here is the work process that we observed so far:
After Morryde gets the rig inside they do measurements in several areas then the IS is custom-made to your unit. You are assigned 1 tech to work only on your rig, he is your point of contact and he calls and updates you daily and keeps you in the loop while the work is being completed.

Tuesday pulled it in the work area

Wednesday the tech cut the old axles and leaf springs off then grinded the shackles off and primes the frame. The tech pulled our disc brakes off and is going to install on our new IS system. The tech had to install some new brake lines because of the added movement of the wheels now.

Thursday morning they had all 3 new IS systems ready to go on and at 9 am were getting ready to start the installation process. After welding the new IS in place the tech will prime and paint the area on the frame were he worked.

Friday we should be able to get it from Morryde and hit the road again for Texas and Arizona at around noon or 1pm.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/ 4:10 rearend
2016 E-Z-Go Golf Cart 2 Dachshunds DJ (Rainbow Bridge 9-12-2019) & Joey
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #2

Very good investment.Be sure they align the wheels right if not you will have hard time to find a place to do it right.It happen to me.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:05 PM   #3

UPDATE:
After we picked up the Road Warrior from Morryde we were heading east toward Goshen and hit the brakes well smoke came up and locked the wheels. So we called Morryde and they wanted us right back, so we turned in the Walmart parking lot and headed back. As soon we pulled in they crawled all over it and started looking. When they hooked the brakes to test on the truck, it seems somebody bumped up the gain to 6 1/2. Now we all know that 6 1/2 gain will lock the brakes on the Road Warrior.
But the trip back it rode really great, no excessive bounce, no bounce on concrete roads, or at bridge joints.
The final measurements for the replacement was:
front AC 13'2"
middle AC 13'2"
rear AC 13'1"
with 8 1/2" bed rail clearance to bottom of nose
Old 11-01-2020, 10:34 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
What disks do you have? I installed a Titan kit on my 36FT 5W and run 6.5 gain on my F350 with no lockup.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:21 AM   #5

Brake Controller

Hi

I'd go back and check the information on the brake controller. Most controllers have a setting for electric or electric over hydraulic. Our Ford requires a series of test stops to get the correct gain setting.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
Hi

I'd go back and check the information on the brake controller. Most controllers have a setting for electric or electric over hydraulic. Our Ford requires a series of test stops to get the correct gain setting.
Yes it is set for electric over hydraulic. Morryde put new pads on for us when they transfer our disc over to the new system. They replaced the bearings, seals, and pads included in the price.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #7

I have a Ram and disc on the trailer. Over 5 and you will seriously lock up the brakes . Heavy electric over hydraulic .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:28 PM   #8

The amount the IS smooth out the ride inside our redwood is nothing short of amazing. We leave the coffee maker on the counter and its in the same spot 500+ miles later. For those of you considering replacing leaf springs and upgrading Yes its alot of money but any issue you had will be gone. We had 7000lb axles under our trailer that carried 13000 lbs on the tires. the leaf springs where flat and I pulled into Elkhart with a broken wet bolt on the rear leaf. At that time the trailer had roughly 12,000 mile on it. after looking at the size of the 8000lb morryde set up its clear to me that it will last for ever with a little basic care. I did a disk brakes and 17.5" tire upgrade all that same season so I went deep into the piggy bank but I would do it again no questions asked. Trailer that are 35+ feet long and over 15,000lbs spring and drum brakes are not what your want !
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:53 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
When we ordered our EXCEL from Peterson Industries, we had the MORryde IS installed on our EXCEL. The Peterson Industries representative I talked to tried to talk me out of having it installed. However, I research the IS and decided to go with it anyway. Now I am not as naive to think that the IS couldn't have problems, but reading all the talk of lubing shackles and wet bolts and dealing with broken springs, well, that is a few less things I have to worry about. All I do is have someone shoot some grease into one zerk fitting on each pivot at each wheel once a year or do it myself when feeling industrious. Since it is an independent suspension, it is a smoother ride by design. Road vibration is the number one enemy of the trailer. It has been estimated that a RV trailer experiences the equivalent of a 4.5 earthquake for hours at a time. A smoother riding suspension and properly inflated tires will lessen the road vibrations.

Below is an article in the March 2000 Trailer Life magazine about the MORryde Independant Suspension. This article help seal the deal with me. Notice the test trailer.

IS-In-Trailer-Life.pdf
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:14 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Just one point I need to discuss, is the need for a wheel alignment. Normally, it is not a problem. I have had to get a wheel alignment once in eight years and it was my fault.

I got stuck in a shopping center parking lot with narrow streets and tight 90 degree turns. My trailer tires on both sides were just inches from the curb. With my tires so close to the curb, when I made a right turn, the trailer tires couldn't jump the curb. I had to drag the tires over the curb. It knocked the trailer out of alignment. When we got back on the highway, I couldn't see the curb side of the trailer in the mirror while going down the road.

Since it is a proprietary design, the trailer has to be taken to a MorRyde authorized service center where they have the equipment and training to align it. The procedure to align it is different than a stock suspension. It is more expensive to have it done. In Fort Worth, it cost $600. This suspension doesn't have a standard axle. It is welded to the frame and has a square tubular support in place of the axle. I assume to prevent side way torque on the frame.

Given what I know, I would still have it installed. I just try to avoid issues that can knock the trailer out of alignment. It has been 6 years and the trailer still tracks fine.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #11

The MORRyde IS is the single best Mod that you can do to your RV. the ride is unbelievable and with the disc brakes it will just stop
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
The amount the IS smooth out the ride inside our redwood is nothing short of amazing. We leave the coffee maker on the counter and its in the same spot 500+ miles later. For those of you considering replacing leaf springs and upgrading Yes its alot of money but any issue you had will be gone. We had 7000lb axles under our trailer that carried 13000 lbs on the tires. the leaf springs where flat and I pulled into Elkhart with a broken wet bolt on the rear leaf. At that time the trailer had roughly 12,000 mile on it. after looking at the size of the 8000lb morryde set up its clear to me that it will last for ever with a little basic care. I did a disk brakes and 17.5" tire upgrade all that same season so I went deep into the piggy bank but I would do it again no questions asked. Trailer that are 35+ feet long and over 15,000lbs spring and drum brakes are not what your want !
I dont have the morryde independent. But i leave the ice tea maker, etc on the counter on trips and no issues. Left the tv in the cabinet in the bedroom no issue. The morryde is great im sure. But i think it helps some more then others. And i really dont think your going to bad mouth a 7-8k investment. My scaled trailer axle weight is 17k. I did put 17.5 wheels and tires on. 235/75/17.5 to be exact. But to each his own. Enjoy the morryde.

I have the drum brakes and they stop great. But i dont rely on the trailer brakes as much as some do either.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #13

I had the MORryde IS & disk brakes installed on my Open Range 3X 388RKS before we went on an Alaska Tour in 2019. What a difference in the ride and stopping. The time they take to measure the height and what they have to do to have a level ride is great. Be glad you did not arrive early and stay in the over night hook up area, ALL NIGHT one train after another about every 20 minutes. I towed the trailer over 17,000 miles on our trip out West and to Alaska.

Doc

Big difference; MORryde axle on left and factory axles on right
The MORryde axel is a Torx (Torsion) Axel not a spring axle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IS.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	365.5 KB
ID:	309609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pix 6.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	309612  

Old 11-28-2020, 06:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc12 View Post
I had the MORryde IS & disk brakes installed on my Open Range 3X 388RKS before we went on an Alaska Tour in 2019. What a difference in the ride and stopping. The time they take to measure the height and what they have to do to have a level ride is great. Be glad you did not arrive early and stay in the over night hook up area, ALL NIGHT one train after another about every 20 minutes. I towed the trailer over 17,000 miles on our trip out West and to Alaska.

Doc

Big difference; MORryde axle on left and factory axles on right
The MORryde axel is a Torx (Torsion) Axel not a spring axle
We plan on Alaska in 2022 with a group of 5-6. Hey if you go to Morryde website and look at the IS club, the picture is of my wife and myself with our ISClub shirts

Tags
suspension

« Orv f26rks | Help »