Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
New to 5TH wheel

Hi everyone we are new to 5th wheeling we had a motorhome preciously and think that this will serve our purpose better. We bought a 2017 Montana High Country 305RL love the floor plan and the options it came with. Looking forward to new experiences . Any do and don't`s would be appreciated .
Happy trails and look forward to any response.

Ken
Kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #2

The only thing I can think of is if you have auto leveling system, be sure to have the truck clear of the pinbox as it will lower the front of the unit toward the ground when it begins the leveling process. Enjoy.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:47 PM   #3

Just remember to drop your tailgate before pulling the truck out from under it! Ask me how I know LOL Was side tracked with setting stuff up and obviously had brain fade, on the Maiden Voyage no less! Expensive weekend lol.

BTW, we almost bout that same trailer, excellent floor plan heavy for my 2500
Congrats!!
04 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Laramie, 4X4, 3:73's BFG 285's All Terrain, Putco 4" Boss Bars, Mag Hi-Tec Dbl. Deep Trans Pan and Diff Covers, AFE Cold Air Intake, Rokk Crank Sensor and more junk
45Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:08 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Congratulations! We did the same thing went from MH to a Silverback 37MBH. I think the one thing is to take my time hitching and unhitching so as not to miss anything.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:17 AM   #5
paz

Practice backing your new 5th wheel BEFORE you get to a campground with everyone watching. Find a big, empty parking lot somewhere. 5th wheels are a lot harder to back than a motorhome (I know this for a fact because we used to have a motorhome) and they're even harder to back than a TT (had one of those, too) because the pivot point of a 5th wheel is right over the axle of the tow vehicle rather than 4-5' behind the axle.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #6

Ken, Good advice so far. Just remember that your hook and unhook are different from a MH so take your time and don't let others distract you. Distraction causes you to dumb things like leave truck windows open and then it rains (Don't ask how I know this one)
Practice the backing a bit but if you are towing with a PU it should be easy. Just remember to go slow and if in doubt while doing anything use the G.O.A.L. method for doing things (Get Out And Look). It can save much embarrassment by not hitting things.

I almost forgot. If you are using a short bed truck be careful on the turns especially U turns. There are 2 categories of people in this group. Those that have taken out a rear window (I'm a member) and those that are going to take out a rear window. They make lots of noise when they break. Like a shotgun going off behind your head

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #7

Carolina Campers
This is my first season in a fifth wheel; previously had a 30ft TT.

So far, the only thing I have forgot to do was plug in the power cord from the fifth wheel into the connector inside the bed when I was hooking up. Fortunately, when I hit the brakes to stop at the gate before leaving my storage area, i could feel the trailer brakes weren't doing anything, so I could fix it before getting on the road. Now I make it a point to check my turn signals once I hook up.

I do have a long bed, so none of the concerns about hitting the cab of the truck.

I have read stories of gates not being open or closed, so, that one is on my checklist.

I'd also add that I really like to make sure the truck is square with the fifth wheel as i approach it with my truck's gate down when hooking up. I only have six inches or so clearance from the gate to the fifth wheel when it is square; seems like it would be easy to hit the corner of the gate into the trailer if you come in at an angle. So far no mishaps, but something i watch closely.

I'd say hooking of the fifth wheel is easier than the TT with the WDH; no bars to mess with. Pretty much just back into it till it clicks into place; just open that gate!! I also love the way it pulls on the highway. Literally zero sway.

I know you will love yours, safe travels.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #8

Carolina Campers
Just thought of one other thing worth mentioning. Although my hitch has a grease fitting (and i make sure to add grease there), I do use a nylon lube plate on the kingpin. Works well for me rather than greasing that whole plate.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #9

Chock Those Wheels !!!! 5th wheels do Not have parking brakes !!! As others have said,, open tail gate,, back truck up close to king pin on trailer,,, raise or lower trailer to put pressure on the hitch of the truck...NO space between trailer and hitch. (vertical) Then back up to engage the hitch. Look at the back of the truck hitch to make sure the jaws are closed, from rear to front, And lever to make sure it is fully engaged !!! You can get a partial hook where it is not latched... Put your saftey pin in your hitch by the lever,,, last step after checking everything a couple times is remove the wheel chocks... LAST THING.... When pulling out to leave, use the manual trailer brake (going slow) to make sure the trailer brakes are working... Of course on your final walk around, turn the lights on, including 4 ways,, to make sure trailer lights are working.
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #10

KZ RV Club
Thanks every body for the replies this is great information if though i have never driven anything like this i thought the turning radius would be a lot better than a MH. I get the impression that a short box truck (6FT) wouldn't have the turning radius of a 8 ft box. I haven't purchased a truck yet I have owned Ford Pick Ups and love them . I would imagine that I would have to go to a 3/4 ton at least. I believe the weight of this is close to !0,000 lbs dry and yes it does have auto leveling . The tips that you guys are giving is priceless thank you .

Ken
Kenc1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #11

Agree with 45Auto, always remember to drop your tailgate!. Also I've seen to many trucks with crushed beds, I have always hooked up left the running gear about one inch off the round, pulled forward and applied the 5ver brake to make sure I'm hooked up really good before pulling away, Better safe than very, very sorry!!
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi, double check the weight requirements. If near max just because the truck can tow it does not mean it is safe, stopping, etc. I believe your close to the max weight and you will need a sliding hitch with the short box. If you go this route, I think you will regret it in the long run.
cos80922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #13

Get a 5th wheel type tailgate.....nothing to open or hit...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:18 AM   #14

With todays 5vrs, you "might not" need a slider hitch... My truck is a 6'4" bed, and I have plenty of room Because of the radius of the trailer nose cap... Most have that now... Older trailers were squared off in front and would get into the back of the truck... ALSO,,, as Brad said,,, Don't get distracted hooking or unhooking... I pull doubles at work, and there are many chances to miss something. Get you a routine, and stick to it... If you have to start over, so be it. Better safe than sorry...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel